New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Sep 6, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #901 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The same happened to me with the blue light on and off at random and I have already received a replacement. Great customer service - which is really going to be tested as I seem to have a different problem now: the battery charge led stays red even afetr 10 hours charging with the unit off. Strangely, when viewed at an angle, I can see a green flashing led underneath the red one. I've emailed ibasso to see if I have another dud on my hands. I sincerely hope not. Maybe a great product marred by poor quality control?

Mine did that once and I just ran it all the way down and recharged and after 4 hours it turned green. So I think its just the recharge chip getting confused or something.

Corey

Sep 7, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #903 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at post #864 in theis very thread and you'll see a white cable with blue ends. That's an optical cable which fits into a small rectangular like socket that is normally covered with a small flap or plugged with a plastic plug to keep the socket clean.

The optical is usually referred to as a Toslink connection,

Steve

And this is what one would use to connect, say, a DJ2000 to the D1 DAC?

Sorry to be so unknowledgeable about this. Since getting an iMod and a Xin SMIV, I have pretty much shelved my DJ2000. It would be nice to bring it out with the DI as a desk unit. This sounds like a great unit.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #904 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this is what one would use to connect, say, a DJ2000 to the D1 DAC?

Yes, in a manner of speaking. The Sony D-EJ2000 features a combined 3.5mm line-out / optical-out mini jack, so you need either a mini-plug to Toslink cable:

cable.jpg

...or a mini-plug adapter to fit over one end of a regular Toslink to Toslink cable:

5714l.jpg

The cables available from SysConcept come highly recommended by any number of fellow members here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to be so unknowledgeable about this. Since getting an iMod and a Xin SMIV, I have pretty much shelved my DJ2000. It would be nice to bring it out with the DI as a desk unit. This sounds like a great unit.

I'm enjoying a D-EJ2000 with my D1 right now and it is simply a superb combination. I think you will be surprised and delighted by how wonderful they sound together.
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #906 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to wait to do a comparison of the D1 at the 100 and 400 hours of burn in. Guess I will not and instead I will post a bit of information now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The D1 I have has about 44 hours of burn in. Today I fed the Dac in th D1 via an optical cable from my coputer (Chaintech AV710). The files are Apple Lossless and I am using iTunes Version 7.3.2.6. The cans I used were the AKG K701.

I did a quick comparison with my fully burnt in SR-71 using the line out on the front panel of the D1 to feed the SR-71. I honestly expected the SR-71 to trounce the D1. Well, I was wrong and the D1 has deeper bass, higher highs, and a better soundstage. Thinking I had my ears plugged
blink.gif
I asked my wife to listen in and tell me which she prefered. She chose the D1 as well.

This is by not means a full test nor the final word. I do plan to evaluate at the 100 and the 400 hour mark. But based on the quick listen we did the D1 is a heck of an unit.
biggrin.gif

I tried to tell everyone (or maybe just Skylab) that mine sounded great at 70+ hours, but I got beat down. I stopped the 24hr/day burn in at 200 hours, and will just burn it in as I listen now.

I'm on the list for the HiFlight OPA2111/D8397 upgrade kit. I have an AD8066/AD8397x2 here now, but my browndog's haven't shown up and I still expect to ruin them during the soldering process doing it myself. Why I have two wired and one butane soldering iron I'll never know...

Sep 7, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #909 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, in a manner of speaking. The Sony D-EJ2000 features a combined 3.5mm line-out / optical-out mini jack, so you need either a mini-plug to Toslink cable:

cable.jpg

...or a mini-plug adapter to fit over one end of a regular Toslink to Toslink cable:

5714l.jpg

The cables available from SysConcept come highly recommended by any number of fellow members here.

I'm enjoying a D-EJ2000 with my D1 right now and it is simply a superb combination. I think you will be surprised and delighted by how wonderful they sound together.
wink.gif

I have the same winning combination. Compact and elegant, and sounds great, of course!

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #910 of 2,626
Can someone comment on how these stack up against the Total BitHead? I'm thinking of selling mine and going with this one.

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #911 of 2,626
Can someone explain more about the opamp OPA2111, like which version of it shoud I buy and how much should it costs ? right now it's going for $50 for a set of them.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #912 of 2,626
Just a heads up for those with a defective front LED:

mine worked for a few hours, then not for a few days, and suddenly today it started working again?!?

So maybe you do not send back the D1 immediately but instead wait for a bit.

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #914 of 2,626
Based on some of the above comments, which correlate with my findings the D1, from my hearing impressions does not sound like a portable amp. It has the drive and capabilities I have heard from home amps and freedom from the small sound that often accompanies portables. It has a big and open sound, which I find exciting since it also has the bonus of a very good dac section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back