New Plenue D3
Sep 16, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #48 of 68
I got a new PLENUE D3 a couple of months ago and I am getting about 7 hours use from the battery mostly using 24bit 96kHz FLAC, much less than the 30hrs that is advertised. The battery indicator seems fine as I have fully run the battery out. Are others also finding issues with the battery life?

I am using Sennheiser MOMENTUM 3 headphones wired via unbalanced out. I have display set to 10 sec switch off, screen brightness to 2, LED is off. Sleep mode and Bluetooth are off. Is there anything else I can do to extend battery life? Are there replacement batteries available for the D3?

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #49 of 68
I got a new PLENUE D3 a couple of months ago and I am getting about 7 hours use from the battery mostly using 24bit 96kHz FLAC, much less than the 30hrs that is advertised. The battery indicator seems fine as I have fully run the battery out. Are others also finding issues with the battery life?
I have the exact same thing. I have a feeling it can be put down to using flac files but even then they advertised more than 7 hours when playing flacs. I don't think there's anything you can do about it

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #50 of 68
That doesn't seem normal based on my experience with Plenue D2. My collection is almost entirely FLAC, mostly 16 bit/44.1 but some higher. I would use B&W P7s or Sennheiser Momentum 2. The Momentum 3 aren't hard to drive, I would think you should be getting plenty more battery life, although strange that both of you find the same.

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #51 of 68
I would love to know what Cowon's test conditions were. I do wonder if they had only a few files on their devices because it takes absolutely ages to start the device if using a filled 128gb sd card with filled internal memory. I've even got a pretty fast sd card.

I can't imagine the startup time would reduce the battery capacity to the point where it's 7 hours but still

Sep 18, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #52 of 68
I also have a 128gb sd card about 75% full and start up takes about 25 seconds. I did run the player continuously with an old pair of Sennheiser Momentum 1 at a very very low volume and the battery lasted 11 hours. The performance of the player is otherwise great and I can probably live with 7 hours battery life, so I have not returned the player. Apart from being told to reboot the player I have had no assistance from the sellers Cowon Systems at all after purchasing online in USA, plus there is no Cowon servicing place here in New Zealand. Is it possible to contact Cowon International for assistance?

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #54 of 68
Just found this thread, bit late I know but was looking at this player today. As advanced mp3 getting some in this March ? And poss Amazon .uk ?
Reading this puts me right off it now.....low volume , bad Bluetooth. Etc.
Post above says he likes Sony A105 better......yet I read that as bad battery also ?
It's getting much harder to get decent players ......looks like picking up a Android Mp3 could work better and jyst turn off the WiFi settings. ......
Well i decided to buy yet another Fiio M7 . cant beat them, great battery, easy to use , sounds good on most headphones , Grado , iems, etc..
Nice and compact, just fill up a sd card pop it in, refresh music......and youre off. Bluetooth if needed . Shame theyre discontinued .

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #55 of 68
For some reason the D3 has been out of stock a lot, which seems odd for a new player. The sound is great - can't complain about that at all and for me that is the most important feature. I like the volume control wheel and do not use the Bluetooth. The file transfer speed is appalling but not a major drama. My battery life at about 7 hours which I can live with but I hope it does not deteriorate too much over time. Cowon refused to send me a replacement battery.

Mar 3, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #56 of 68
For some reason the D3 has been out of stock a lot, which seems odd for a new player. The sound is great - can't complain about that at all and for me that is the most important feature. I like the volume control wheel and do not use the Bluetooth. The file transfer speed is appalling but not a major drama. My battery life at about 7 hours which I can live with but I hope it does not deteriorate too much over time. Cowon refused to send me a replacement battery.
You are lucky. i'm using 24bit 96kHz FLAC and the battery drain is terrible. after 2 hours is out of order. maybe there were a stock of poor battery inside.

May 15, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #57 of 68
Lot if issues with this Plenue D3, and still the 128 GB limit...
Hope they will manage to bring out a better D4 soon... Form factor and sound remain very good.

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #58 of 68
Hope they will manage to bring out a better D4 soon...
I noticed they only have some earphones on the market now, and tracking down a D3 here in Korea is even hard. Does anyone know if Cowon has stopped with making DAPs? I tried contacting the company directly, and got no response. Everything is sold out on their website as well. I feel like I might be making a post about a piece of abandonware but here goes;

Initially I was thinking of getting a D3 for the bluetooth on an ANC headphone (sony xm3), but reviews are pretty sparse and not so positive about the connectivity. Also, no one has been able to definitely say if it was using the Aptx codec for bluetooth or just SBC. If anyone can update the thread of their usage that would be helpful.

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #59 of 68
I noticed they only have some earphones on the market now, and tracking down a D3 here in Korea is even hard. Does anyone know if Cowon has stopped with making DAPs? I tried contacting the company directly, and got no response. Everything is sold out on their website as well. I feel like I might be making a post about a piece of abandonware but here goes;

Initially I was thinking of getting a D3 for the bluetooth on an ANC headphone (sony xm3), but reviews are pretty sparse and not so positive about the connectivity. Also, no one has been able to definitely say if it was using the Aptx codec for bluetooth or just SBC. If anyone can update the thread of their usage that would be helpful.
There’s been some discussion about whether Cowon’s still in business in the PR thread. Check out this post and the pages around it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cowon-plenue-r-all-round-player.855223/page-29#post-17122555

Users who are viewing this thread

Back