New phone on the block - Philips HP890
Nov 23, 2001 at 5:22 AM Post #61 of 76
Thanx sOOshi

The local Betta Electrical store just offered to get me in a set for $110. ($55 USD). I cant resist... temptation too strong....this headphone thing is becoming addictive....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Im going to order them now....
smily_headphones1.gif

Woohoo!

Nov 24, 2001 at 7:46 AM Post #62 of 76
Finally....reasonably priced headphones in Australia seem so damn rare
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried the HP890 and the HP550 at the store on some crappy Sony CDP. The HP890 are very light and damn comfortable to wear. And yea the sound leaked much more with the 890 than the 550, even though it surrounded the entire ear. Probably gonna go with the 550
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2001 at 3:22 PM Post #63 of 76
Yup... with hd495 @ $200, dt531 @ $300, akg501 @ $300 and hd580 @ more than $400 the hp890 for $110 has got to be the best value going here in oz.

Had a bit of a problem ordering though, hope I can sort it out Monday. The distributor is Crest, a Qld mob btw.

I actually bought the hp550 from Dick Smith but returned them as they were a bit uncomfortable on my xl head. Sound was good, but not quite up to the output of my ksc35 imho.

Still i reckon theyd be a good choice if you really need closed cans,
easily transported too.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2001 at 10:30 PM Post #64 of 76
How would you compare the Koss KSC35 vs Philips HP890? I know they are just very different but with one being $30 and the other $90 (in France), I'm hesitating.

Besides, the KSC35 are light, comfortable and suited for portable use (I don't need them to be portable but that wouldn' hurt either).

Should I expect the HP890 to be much better sounding than KSC35?

I mainly listen to acoustic guitar, some rock, blues, jazz and classic. My main source is a MZR700 MD unit.

Thanks in advance for any opinion sharing!

P.

P.S. I prefer a bit too much bass rather than something too bright and fatiguing. Lini told the HP890 are a bit bright and that worries me ...

Nov 25, 2001 at 12:05 PM Post #65 of 76
Remember that line and s00shi seems to be the only people here who have heard the 890... the rest of us are just speculating
biggrin.gif
I'm STILL (!) waiting for mine...

Nov 25, 2001 at 12:51 PM Post #67 of 76
Nice, thanks! I'm reading it now.... ("best buy"
smily_headphones1.gif
)

edit: hmmm, he keeps writing 860...
confused.gif

Edit2: It's to bad he doesn't write anything about amplification... It's not really a thorough review...

Nov 25, 2001 at 2:42 PM Post #68 of 76
Unfortunately, the same site also gives the AKG K100 5 stars :shrug:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 26, 2001 at 7:21 AM Post #69 of 76
Yes ...its not a particularly confidence inspiring review, however not entirely different to Linis appraisal.

very comfortable and well built,

a little bright /sibilant in the top end,

otherwise fairly well balanced sound, with good detail and soundstage,

excellent choice for those on a tight budget....me.

Im hoping that brightness in the top end will mellow with adequate breaking in time.

Mine should arrive from the Eastern States by Friday....

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 8:44 AM Post #70 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Mumrik
Remember that line and s00shi seems to be the only people here who have heard the 890... the rest of us are just speculating
biggrin.gif
I'm STILL (!) waiting for mine...

I've heard it... a couple of times actually. Did an A/B with a pair of
AKG K501...
To be honest, I wasn't very impressed.
At the beginning the Philips sounded really nice, a lot more exciting than the very neutral AKGs that you could mistake for being boring. But the more I auditioned, the more I liked the
AKGs and disliked the HP890.
The philips bass is very strong and goes deep, but they don't have the proper midrange for sucha strong bass. Highs are more prominent again.
I would say their sound is heavily coloured.

Don't get me wrong here, they are good phones for the money,
very well built with an exciting sound - which I just didn't like.
IMHO the (more expensive) AKGs are the much better headphones, but this is my personal opinion.

At the end of the day, one has to buy what one likes.

Bye

Redwoood

Nov 28, 2001 at 9:01 AM Post #71 of 76
Dear Headfellows,

Yesterday I had a visit from a Philips representative and they granted me a dealership. This week he will send me one or two headphones for testing, including (hopefully) the 890.

I'll keep you informed.

Jan

Nov 28, 2001 at 9:03 AM Post #72 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
Dear Headfellows,

Yesterday I had a visit from a Philips representative and they granted me a dealership. This week he will send me one or two headphones for testing, including (hopefully) the 890.

I'll keep you informed.

Jan

Great news, Jan -- congratulations! Yes, please do keep us informed of your impressions of the Philips 'phones.

Dec 2, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #74 of 76
Sorry to bring this one back guys, but I'd like to know if jienn got his cans and he hasn't enabled PMs...

So, jienn, did you receive them yet? I haven't heard from BM yet...
frown.gif

Dec 13, 2001 at 6:25 PM Post #75 of 76
Hello mumrik, I got them last week, now 8 days ago (shipped on the 30th). I hope you got them as well
smily_headphones1.gif

I think they are great. Well worth the money. But as im not a good reviewer or have enough experience i can't write a review
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back