New PC Music Server Build Project - All SSD - No Fans
Feb 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #106 of 136

Great report! I ordered 5 of the Monster(Elfidelity) SATA filters last year, I'm looking to put them in my music NAS when I've gotten it all together. The design vs. the SOtM filters is what brought me to them more so than the price. The SOtM ones have apparently undergone a revision since the one you have pictured so that now the drive can mount in the correct way and that the filter is now slightly flexible. However, I still like the up close and nestled design of the Elfidelity ones much more. I'm happy to hear they've done something for you. I look forward to adding them to my server soon.

I also ordered some RAM filters from Elfidelity, as well as some from another company that Paul Pang of PPA Studio sources his RAM filters from. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea if they'll work, but like rb2013 said, for the price there's not much to loose. Especially since here in China they're even a little cheaper.

Hey Ben,

So you're installing these filters in a NAS box - but why if the data will travle over the network and the Box is most likey in a nother room?  

Also, I wonder if it will fit in my case along with my USB card?

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #107 of 136
Hey Darryl,

the answer is yes and no. I'll be using the SATA filters in the Music Server, but in the Control and Audio PCs I'll be using 2x RAM filters and 1x PCIe filter in each computer.

I agree that the data will then go over the network, so the effect of the filters then becomes questionable. They're just not that expensive and seemed like a fun shot to take.

rb2013 has already come back with saying the fan and SATA filters that he applied to his server have turned out well. Its only one data point, but at least its encouraging :)

As for how they'll fit in your rig; the SATA filters don't need much extra space, just 3/4" on the back. They are as wide as an HDD, though, so if using with an SSD you'll have to mind the extra width. I don't think the filter cards will fit, but I'd need a better internal shot to really give you much info.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #108 of 136
Hi Guys,

I just installed a Leadex Gold Super Flower 750W in a mid-tower ATX case to replace the brick power supply I was using previously.

I have to say the difference is night and day, I was not expecting this performance jump for only 100 EUR.
Also, I already have the AQVOX linear power supply for the USB power, this is only affecting data stream - I expect people without AQVOX would feel a greater impact. 

Highly recommended for the price. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #109 of 136
  Hi Guys,

I just installed a Leadex Gold Super Flower 750W in a mid-tower ATX case to replace the brick power supply I was using previously.

I have to say the difference is night and day, I was not expecting this performance jump for only 100 EUR.
Also, I already have the AQVOX linear power supply for the USB power, this is only affecting data stream - I expect people without AQVOX would feel a greater impact. 

Highly recommended for the price. 

Thanks!  I can say I'm really pleased with the fanless Seasonic SS-520FL2 Active PFC F3 520W 80 PLUS Platinum ATX12V/EPS12V Fanless PSU.  That and the SATA and CPU fan ElFidelity installed at the same time made a very significant improvement in performance.  The sound is smoother then before a bit more dynamic.

Waiting for the ElFidelity Power Filter Card for Computer Audio Enhancement For PCI and PCI-E to arrive next to install.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #111 of 136

Thanks!  I can say I'm really pleased with the fanless Seasonic SS-520FL2 Active PFC F3 520W 80 PLUS Platinum ATX12V/EPS12V Fanless PSU.  That and the SATA and CPU fan ElFidelity installed at the same time made a very significant improvement in performance.  The sound is smoother then before a bit more dynamic.

Waiting for the ElFidelity Power Filter Card for Computer Audio Enhancement For PCI and PCI-E to arrive next to install.

rb2013,

Like to know more on ElFidelity. Please share your observations.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #112 of 136

rb2013,

Like to know more on ElFidelity. Please share your observations.

The PCI-E card arrived today - and I immediately installed it.  Not a huge improvement but nice- smoother still and more dynamics.  But this server already has the Seasonic PS and the Elfidelity SATA and Fan filters.  All highly recommended.

I ordered more SATA filters for my other music server.

Soon it'll be the PITA SSD conversion.  Ugg!  Hate installing OS's.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #113 of 136

The PCI-E card arrived today - and I immediately installed it.  Not a huge improvement but nice- smoother still and more dynamics.  But this server already has the Seasonic PS and the Elfidelity SATA and Fan filters.  All highly recommended.

I ordered more SATA filters for my other music server.

Soon it'll be the PITA SSD conversion.  Ugg!  Hate installing OS's.

Feel free to ask for help on the operating system. I am still looking for an opportunity to pay you back for all your time mentoring me on vacuum tubes.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #115 of 136

Thanks! I've done it so many times - it just takes so long to do. 

Pfft! You are worse than my wife's cat. It doesn't need anything from me either.
blink.gif

jk

Good luck! and I will check-in to see how things are going.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #117 of 136
  Does the use of these style filters increase the power draw from the PSU ?

Hi Tom,

The elfidelity powerfilters are "just" caps, when starting the pc the caps wil draw some power from psu.
When idle there shouldn't be much difference. They just "filter ripple".

Grtz Alex

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #118 of 136
Well I received the second set of ElFidelity SATA filters yesterday.  Installed in my other music server - this time without changing the PS (this unit already had a nice fanless PS unit).  These things are blowing me away!  The added air, transparency, bass depth is excellent - immediately noticeable.  I mean a major step forward - sound stage wider and deeper.  I'm truly shocked - how $40 worth of these could have such an effect.  I have three HDs in this machine, one had a SotM filter the other none.  I only added two of the ElFidelities, as that's what I had ordered.  I'll order another to replace the SotM SATA and a couple of the fan filters to replace the SotM's already installed.

I have two empty RAM slots so will order a couple of those filters and a PCI-E board as well. 

I'm sold on these

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #119 of 136
  Well I received the second set of ElFidelity SATA filters yesterday.  Installed in my other music server - this time without changing the PS (this unit already had a nice fanless PS unit).  These things are blowing me away!  The added air, transparency, bass depth is excellent - immediately noticeable.  I mean a major step forward - sound stage wider and deeper.  I'm truly shocked - how $40 worth of these could have such an effect.  I have three HDs in this machine, one had a SotM filter the other none.  I only added two of the ElFidelities, as that's what I had ordered.  I'll order another to replace the SotM SATA and a couple of the fan filters to replace the SotM's already installed.

I have two empty RAM slots so will order a couple of those filters and a PCI-E board as well. 

I'm sold on these

Thank you for sharing ! Please let me know if the RAM filters work, I am pretty much sold on the SATA filter already. 
Ideally I would only bring one order in from Taiwan as customs take forever to process in EU. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back