New PC Music Server Build Project - All SSD - No Fans
Mar 24, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #121 of 136

The PCI-E card arrived today - and I immediately installed it.  Not a huge improvement but nice- smoother still and more dynamics.  But this server already has the Seasonic PS and the Elfidelity SATA and Fan filters.  All highly recommended.

I ordered more SATA filters for my other music server.

Hiya.  Interested in trying out some of these Elfidelity filters.  What ones might be appropriate for my set up (if anything)?

Single Mini-ITX pc with:
1 x ssd (OS) powered by Teradak U9 
1 x 2.5" HDD (storage), powered by the motherboard.
Both ram slots filled with 4GB ram each but could feasibly change to 1 x 4GB and leave a slot free.
1 x PCIe (x1) slot with PPA usb v1 card.
1 x mini PCIe

Good thread, btw..
regular_smile .gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #122 of 136
  Hiya.  Interested in trying out some of these Elfidelity filters.  What ones might be appropriate for my set up (if anything)?

Single Mini-ITX pc with:
1 x ssd (OS) powered by Teradak U9 
1 x 2.5" HDD (storage), powered by the motherboard.
Both ram slots filled with 4GB ram each but could feasibly change to 1 x 4GB and leave a slot free.
1 x PCIe (x1) slot with PPA usb v1 card.
1 x mini PCIe

Good thread, btw..
regular_smile%20.gif

Thanks!  I haven't gotten the RAM filters yet - so no comment there.  I would rec the SATA filters if you have room for them - check Ebay for the measurements.  Next the fan filters - if your unit has a fan.  Last the PCIe filter - it made a slight difference.

Good Luck!

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #124 of 136

Thanks!  I haven't gotten the RAM filters yet - so no comment there.  I would rec the SATA filters if you have room for them - check Ebay for the measurements.  Next the fan filters - if your unit has a fan.  Last the PCIe filter - it made a slight difference.

Good Luck!

Do the fan filters do anything with a fanless server? Would plugging these onto the fan headers (w/o fans) do anything?

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #132 of 136
I just built my own fanless dedicated music server a few weeks ago using an old 2nd gen i5 and LGA-1155 motherboard I had lying around. I replaced the CPU fan with a cheap passive heatsink. I bought the cheapest SSD I could find on Amazon for $60 / 240gb, and following the SSD power isolation recommendations on CA, I used this little adapter to split the power rail to a regular 5V USB line which allowed me to isolate the server from SSD power noise: http://a.co/8suiNYW

I ordered the Paul Bang USB v3 board with external power bracket. Planning to run it from either the 40000mAh USB power pack I have or from my LKS 5V power supply.

For the PSU I got a Seasonic Platinum 400W fanless. It's modular, and currently only has 2 power lines running from it -- the motherboard and CPU lines, as the SSD is powered externally. It's running well below it's rated output and runs warm to the touch after a week of continual operation. It's in a ATX case so everything does have a good amount of air to radiate into. My cheesy passive heatsink hovers around 60-70 degrees while JRiver is going. I have a single RAM module populated, 8GB; I figured less noise if there was only one and not using two-channel memory. I'll test that hypothesis later.

I ordered a Supra USB cable to go with the Paul Bang USB.

All in, minus the motherboard, CPU and RAM which I had already, it's about $850. The USB card costs $420 by itself. Eventually I'll pick up a linear PSU, which is likely going to run me $600 or so on top of that, so figure this build will end up costing a minimum of $1,500 when it's all said and done.

7K7WI69.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back