New PC Music Server Build Project - All SSD - No Fans
Feb 23, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #76 of 136

Thanks!  Yes - music only servers - so I just use the on board graphics.  Right now both servers are iCore 5's - but down the road may go one of the ultra low heat Broadwell-U or possibly SkyLake iCore 3 equiv.

I may just keep this PS though - especailly if I mod it with upgraded utlra low ERS caps.

I don't recall if I suggested this or was thinking I should suggest the use the Intel i3 T CPUs. Essentailly, the "T" designates a lower power CPU. I am using i3 2100T processor for music and HD video (1080) and HD Audio (Master Audio, TrueHD, FLAC 24 bit) without issues. Same box with the Seasonic SI2 380 watt power supply. Truth be told, until recently noiseless. The evil cat (hair) has damaged a case fan so it has a bit of whine now. Need to replace it.

I used this case:
http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-GD05B-USB3-0-Aluminum-Computer/dp/B008J0ZOV8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424737851&sr=8-4&keywords=silverstone+case

A bit late on the suggestions, sorry.

No experience with Broadwell-U but looks like it might have possibilities.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #77 of 136
  @rb2013

If you get good at this, I would totally buy one from you. (Too lazy to try building it myself.) Then again, unless you want to be labeled as a member of the trade, it would have to be only at the cost of parts, so maybe you wouldn't be willing to go that far. I would love to have a dedicated music server, but most of them are so expensive!

For what it's worth, I heard from many sources that Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard has the best sound quality.

Hi! - Well it's a DIY project as I've been having some good success with other projects.  But happy to share my experience.  The thing about PC's they're not that hard to work on  - compared to DAC's or Amps.  It just getting the software to work right with the components.  I think the future will be in the NUC concept.  Once SSD's get affordable at the 2TB size, and the new Broadwell-U -H get released then I may go that route. 

I have heard the same about Server 2012 R2 as well and have high hopes for W10.  Or maybe a Server 2015/16 is in the works.  Pretty damn expensive - but some ways to lower that.  I hate messing with OS's to get them to work right.  But it looks like between this thread and the Gustard U12 the 2012R2 might just work.  Once I have my SSD's runing W7 as my daily builtproof OS.  I will reuse my WD Blacks for some OS fun.  2012R2 included.  If it really makes that big of a difference - I'd pay the $600.

Cheers!

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #78 of 136

I don't recall if I suggested this or was thinking I should suggest the use the Intel i3 T CPUs. Essentailly, the "T" designates a lower power CPU. I am using i3 2100T processor for music and HD video (1080) and HD Audio (Master Audio, TrueHD, FLAC 24 bit) without issues. Same box with the Seasonic SI2 380 watt power supply. Truth be told, until recently noiseless. The evil cat (hair) has damaged a case fan so it has a bit of whine now. Need to replace it.

I used this case:
http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-GD05B-USB3-0-Aluminum-Computer/dp/B008J0ZOV8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424737851&sr=8-4&keywords=silverstone+case

A bit late on the suggestions, sorry.

No experience with Broadwell-U but looks like it might have possibilities.

No worries - thanks for the suggestions.  At the rate of SSD size increases and price drops a completely fanless Broadwell/SkyLake NUC might be the ticket.  I could even run external USB 3.0 SSD drives - as USB 3.0 throughput is equal or greater to SATA III

Here is a current Haswell version:  http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXD54250WYKH1-Core-i5-4250U-Graphics/dp/B00HZDLNWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424739227&sr=8-1&keywords=nuc+intel

PS USB 3.1 10 Gb/sec vs SATA III of 6Gb/Sec

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #79 of 136

No worries - thanks for the suggestions.  At the rate of SSD size increases and price drops a completely fanless Broadwell/SkyLake NUC might be the ticket.  I could even run external USB 3.0 SSD drives - as USB 3.0 throughput is equal or greater to SATA III

Here is a current Haswell version:  http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXD54250WYKH1-Core-i5-4250U-Graphics/dp/B00HZDLNWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424739227&sr=8-1&keywords=nuc+intel

The only problem with using USB3 vs SATA3 is the USB overhead. It is not equivalent to direct attached SATA. However, for your application, audio, the number of IOPs you need will be met with USB3. (I just reread you post above. My experience with USB and SATA performance may be outdated if your report of faster speeds using USB 3.1 are correct. I have to get my hands on the devices and test, but something seems fishy with my experience with the USB overhead. *shrug*)

If you are going to use USB for storage, considering purchasing a USB case that supports UASP. I used the aluminum with UASP and its prior plastic gen with UASP at the URL below. Only complaint I have with the aluminum case it doesn't stack very well; slides all over the place. Buy some rubber feet and it should be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Inateck-Enclosure-Installation-Compatible/dp/B00FCLG65U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424745936&sr=8-3&keywords=inateck

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #80 of 136

The only problem with using usb is the usb overhead. It is not equivalent to direct attached SATA. Again, your application, audio, the number of IOPs you need will be met with USB, however.

I used this one with UASP.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Inateck-Enclosure-Installation-Compatible/dp/B00FCLG65U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424745936&sr=8-3&keywords=inateck

Bookmarked.  Nice! Those SSD drives should have plenty of power from the USB.  I could also go with something similar and a SATA III cable to the MB.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #81 of 136
Here is a tool to obtain metrics (IOPs) for sequential and random reads and writes.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iometer/files/iometer-stable/1.1.0/

&

http://www.iometer.org/doc/downloads.html

It was invaluable when I was having a perceived problem with a Marvel USB 3.0 chip/hub/port on an ASUS Sabertooth board a few years ago. Iometer clearly showed the USB 2.0 ports on the system board out performed the Marvel. Others were reporting similar experiences. The controller was absolute junk.

Rambling.. wanted to provide you a tool for objective bench testing.

Night.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #82 of 136
  Here is a tool to obtain metrics (IOPs) for sequential and random reads and writes.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iometer/files/iometer-stable/1.1.0/

&

http://www.iometer.org/doc/downloads.html

It was invaluable when I was having a perceived problem with a Marvel USB 3.0 chip/hub/port on an ASUS Sabertooth board a few years ago. Iometer clearly showed the USB 2.0 ports on the system board out performed the Marvel. Others were reporting similar experiences. The controller was absolute junk.

Rambling.. wanted to provide you a tool for objective bench testing.

Night.

Thanks!  Love Sourceforge - they wrote the SoX upsampler I love using in Foobar.

Cheers!

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #83 of 136

From my experience it is not the best idea to connect anything on USB besides the DAC.
This has been confirmed by many other DAC owners and was also recommended to me by the creator of Daphile.

YMMV, you have been warned :)

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #84 of 136
  From my experience it is not the best idea to connect anything on USB besides the DAC.
This has been confirmed by many other DAC owners and was also recommended to me by the creator of Daphile.

YMMV, you have been warned :)

Good suggestion.  I've always been leery of USB drives - would prefer the SATAIII approach.  With that said I do have an external USB3.0 WD book on one server - running 32bit/176K digitalized files without a hiccup.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #85 of 136

Good suggestion.  I've always been leery of USB drives - would prefer the SATAIII approach.  With that said I do have an external USB3.0 WD book on one server - running 32bit/176K digitalized files without a hiccup.

As with most things technology related, it has more to due on how well tested are the system board or chipset is manufactured and the firmware QA/testing. As stated above, I have seen USB 3 chips that performed so poorly, you got better performance from a well establish USB 2 chip.

Whatever board you select, hit a variety of hardware website and review comments or post a question. Just like we do here. Anand and Tom's hardware are ones I used to frequent, but I am typically dealing with enterprise hardware these days so I have not stayed current on the high traffic consumer hardware forums.

Another option is to buy from Amazon, test the crap out of the stuff, and utilize their return policy if dissatisfied. I do it all the time!
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #86 of 136

As with most things technology related, it has more to due on how well tested are the system board or chipset is manufactured and the firmware QA/testing. As stated above, I have seen USB 3 chips that performed so poorly, you got better performance from a well establish USB 2 chip.

Whatever board you select, hit a variety of hardware website and review comments or post a question. Just like we do here. Anand and Tom's hardware are ones I used to frequent, but I am typically dealing with enterprise hardware these days so I have not stayed current on the high traffic consumer hardware forums.

Another option is to buy from Amazon, test the crap out of the stuff, and utilize their return policy if dissatisfied. I do it all the time!
biggrin.gif

Great websites - I'm a long time Tom's user.  My hope is with each iteration of MB chipsets they get faster, cooler, and more reliable.  The nice thing about the SSD SATAIII HD choice - I can use them now and then just swap them over later to the new machine..

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #87 of 136
  @rb2013

If you get good at this, I would totally buy one from you. (Too lazy to try building it myself.) Then again, unless you want to be labeled as a member of the trade, it would have to be only at the cost of parts, so maybe you wouldn't be willing to go that far. I would love to have a dedicated music server, but most of them are so expensive!

For what it's worth, I heard from many sources that Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard has the best sound quality.

Check out smallgreencomputer.com. The proprietor of computeraudiophile.com has more or less "developed" several computer audio PCs, the most recent group of them are revision 4. They're called C.A.P.S. v4, and has partnered with Small Green Computer to have them build the PCs for a profit for those that don't want/can't DIY it themselves.

Lots of happy buyers +2yrs running from SGC, and then 1000s of happy users of the C.A.P.S. PCs for many years now. Me included. There's a great community around them; tons of continued upgrades and mods. Good luck.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #88 of 136
  Check out smallgreencomputer.com. The proprietor of computeraudiophile.com has more or less "developed" several computer audio PCs, the most recent group of them are revision 4. They're called C.A.P.S. v4, and has partnered with Small Green Computer to have them build the PCs for a profit for those that don't want/can't DIY it themselves.

Lots of happy buyers +2yrs running from SGC, and then 1000s of happy users of the C.A.P.S. PCs for many years now. Me included. There's a great community around them; tons of continued upgrades and mods. Good luck.

Thanks for the link!  They are a little expensive - but for the non-DIY a great route to go.

Are they building a C.A.P.S. V4?  Reading the CA thread someone suggested the NUC as a cheap alternative.

This C.A.P.S. V3 is $1895 with W8 and iCore 7 Haswell.  That's with just 1 SSD drive (doesn't mention size).
http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/CAPS-v3-Zuma-CAPS3-Zuma.htm

I'd need the 4TB Vortex Box - that's another $679. And I doubt SSD's - as I want to be completely spinning motor free - I'd have to build a NAS SSD only myself.
http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/VortexBox-4TB-Automatic-CD-ripping-NAS-vb4000b.htm

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #90 of 136
Well surgery went well - nice improvement in SQ!  Just a bit crisper - more depth to the sound.  Deeper bass as well.  Tone a bit richer.  

Well worth the $206:

Seasonic 520 fanless $137 delivered
2 - Elfidelity SATA filters $43 delivered ($21.50 Each)
2- Elfidelity PC fan filters $26 delivered ($11 each)

I am ordering the same for my other server.

Notice the SotM SATA and Fan filters (I replaced these with the Elfidelity's) - not nearly as extensive in build.  Plus the Elfidelity's have a better design - the SotM SATA filter stuck off the back of the drive to far, the E's fit nicely along the width of the drive..  And the Elfidelity Fan filter has a small, nicely shielded, cable - so the filter does not have to stick off the MB like the SotM.

SotM filters that got replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back