New Panasonic HTX9, high-end version of the HTX7
Jun 14, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 36
I remember that HTX9 was out a long time ago (like shortly after the release of HTX7.) I remember it was discussed once a long time ago as well.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember that HTX9 was out a long time ago (like shortly after the release of HTX7.) I remember it was discussed once a long time ago as well.

The Japanese release date was around May, 2007 (HTX7 released about a year before that). However, unlike the HTX7, HTX9 wasn't released outside of Japan (to my knowledge) thus not many people pick them up.

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #18 of 36
The housing's the same, meaning that anyone who's had higher end cans will detect the "hollow echo" point in the mids that is the result of the sound resonating in the ear cups. I like my HTX7s (esp after ClieOS's mod), but after my Alessandro MS-1s it's hard to go back unless I don't want music leaking.

With this, the HTX9, while having a superior driver, will fall short if they haven't changed the physical properties of the earcups themselves. Hardly worth the price tag, unless they can be compared side-to-side and better something like the denon d1000 or audio technica ath-a700.

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The housing's the same, meaning that anyone who's had higher end cans will detect the "hollow echo" point in the mids that is the result of the sound resonating in the ear cups. I like my HTX7s (esp after ClieOS's mod), but after my Alessandro MS-1s it's hard to go back unless I don't want music leaking.

With this, the HTX9, while having a superior driver, will fall short if they haven't changed the physical properties of the earcups themselves. Hardly worth the price tag, unless they can be compared side-to-side and better something like the denon d1000 or audio technica ath-a700.

That kind of resonance can be handled with internal damping, it's just a question of getting the right balance in the sound. I imagine panasonic will have tried to do something to improve the response at that price. But as you say it's a dangerous choice until a couple of experienced listeners get a chance to test them against better-known options.

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #20 of 36
It'd be interesting as to whether that would radically change the htx-series' signature; a generally aggressive sound with recessed mids. Good with warmer sources.

Dampening might make it more balanced; though the staging would suffer unlike the much larger ath-a-series from audio technica (which I'm thinking of getting, but worried that they may sound too much like my htx7's in signature).

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 36
eek.gif
OOPS!!!
eek.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'd be interesting as to whether that would radically change the htx-series' signature; a generally aggressive sound with recessed mids. Good with warmer sources.

Dampening might make it more balanced; though the staging would suffer unlike the much larger ath-a-series from audio technica (which I'm thinking of getting, but worried that they may sound too much like my htx7's in signature).

The different driver will certainly change the signature, but we have no idea in which direction they've changed it. I don't think the staging would necessarily suffer too much if the damping is done carefully, with trial and error. All speculation based on modding other headphones, though. What I would hope for from the 9 is a more-controlled high end with greater extension. The current version sounds decapitated to me in relation to higher-end closed models. But good for its price, which I doubt the 9 will be unless street prices drop way below current asking price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listed a mod I did in this comparison thread. It solves the hollowness issue as well a seeming to make the sound more even. Works pretty good:

Essentially you've done a kind of damping mod. There are two basic ways to dampen the interior of a headphone earpiece behind a dynamic driver: change the reflexivity of the surface (blu-tak or your mod, if I understand correctly), or to fill the airspace with a loose, absorbent material, usually loose cotton, wool, or synthetic padding, but sometimes kinds of foam. Changing the surface will mostly re-voice the treble response; it may also kill some resonance in the housing. Loose damping material acts more to boost perceived response in the bass and lower mids, mainly by damping away the backwave at those frequencies.

The best way I know of to boost midrange response through damping is to cut the highs with a less-reflective surface inside the earpiece. Cut it too much, though, and you will reduce soundstage (which is mostly a product of artfully letting some backwave return to the ear, either through baffle ports or more typically by opening the back of the earcup).

In the end, though, the different driver will have such a large effect on sound that I don't think we should assume any mod that works well on a 7 will also improve a 9. Better for someone to test it first, and maybe take it apart to show how the two differ, and then we can more easily think about possible modifications.

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #26 of 36
Still nada on these things? COme on im sure someone has $160 to burn
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #27 of 36
I was thinking of getting the HTX9 soon, is it worth it? If not, what should i look at getting in the 150-200 price range?

I have an iPod Classic, and just ordered a iBasso D2 Boa.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #28 of 36
Hey everybody,

So I'm currently on vacation in Japan and I went into this place called Yodobashi Camera and they literally have over 2000 different pairs of headphones / ear phones. I tested out alot of the headphones and tried to find one's that aren't available in North America.

The RPHTX9's caught my eye and I compared them to the others and frankly the 9's sounded amazing really crisp and clear. However, I saw the 7's and figured that for the price it would be a better purchase. After doing some research though I found that these 9's are only available here in Japan so i snatched them up (it cost me about $200 Canadian so roughly 165 USD).

Sound wise, the 9's sound much better, it doesn't have the hollowness that the 7's have and the sound is really crisp and clear so I think that they are a great pair of headphones.

As for my background I've been a musician for the last 8 years and I've had extensive experience in recording studios / sound and I'd have to say that these headphones sounded great to me (although they aren't reference headphones obviously).

I hope this helps!

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #29 of 36
I have listened them about one week ago in supermarket.
It's selling for 152$ in Russia.

I'm newbie Head-Fier, so don't wait a lot info
smily_headphones1.gif

There was also Senn HD202, Denon AH-D1000, and some other, but not interesting items...

The source was my Iriver Clix2. mp3 192-320kbit. Yes, it's ****, but there wasn't any better equipment to test these HF...

I listened some Rock (Godsmack), hip-hop (Lil John, Rihanna (my favorite test tracks - Cry and Rehab )), electro (remixes on Yelle-Ce Jeu) and Trance ()Armin Van Buuren - Imagine).

First of all - I dont like Denon AH-D1000. I listened them twice(first was about 3 month ago, but it was the same pair of HF, so maybe they are bad sample
smily_headphones1.gif
). Sound rather Flat, but a bit... harsh...or just dirty... and not interesting (first listening was from Cambridge Audio CDP + some mid-level Receiver through Headphone-out)...

Then Panasonic... It has very soft leather (or synthetic leather) pads. It's is comfortable at all, but you ears can get hot through some time (IMHO). Adjusting the size is quiet easy...
Sound... It has VERY good Bass! It's ~ Senn HD555, but more clearer... Midrange also was no bad, but it lacks some emotions and "voice strength"... High Freq was also rather clear, there wasnt any hissing on voice, i tone balance on mid and hight freq is lower a little then bass.

If it good cans? Yes.
In two words: good bass, accurate mids and high, good looking, comfortable.
If they worth 150$? Maybe! (need good source and amp to answer this question).

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by S3am /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have listened them about one week ago in supermarket.
It's selling for 152$ in Russia.

I'm newbie Head-Fier, so don't wait a lot info
smily_headphones1.gif

There was also Senn HD202, Denon AH-D1000, and some other, but not interesting items...

The source was my Iriver Clix2. mp3 192-320kbit. Yes, it's ****, but there wasn't any better equipment to test these HF...

I listened some Rock (Godsmack), hip-hop (Lil John, Rihanna (my favorite test tracks - Cry and Rehab )), electro (remixes on Yelle-Ce Jeu) and Trance ()Armin Van Buuren - Imagine).

First of all - I dont like Denon AH-D1000. I listened them twice(first was about 3 month ago, but it was the same pair of HF, so maybe they are bad sample
smily_headphones1.gif
). Sound rather Flat, but a bit... harsh...or just dirty... and not interesting (first listening was from Cambridge Audio CDP + some mid-level Receiver through Headphone-out)...

Then Panasonic... It has very soft leather (or synthetic leather) pads. It's is comfortable at all, but you ears can get hot through some time (IMHO). Adjusting the size is quiet easy...
Sound... It has VERY good Bass! It's ~ Senn HD555, but more clearer... Midrange also was no bad, but it lacks some emotions and "voice strength"... High Freq was also rather clear, there wasnt any hissing on voice, i tone balance on mid and hight freq is lower a little then bass.

If it good cans? Yes.
In two words: good bass, accurate mids and high, good looking, comfortable.
If they worth 150$? Maybe! (need good source and amp to answer this question).

I wish my supermarket carried headphones like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back