New pair of ATH M50s. Am I hearing compression artifacts or have I damaged them?
Dec 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 34
It's not the noise, it's the fact you did it for so long probably. Nothing the matter with pink noise in general. It's just frequencies.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #17 of 34
Pink noise is not harm full, the trick when burning in headphones is to build in a rest period every hour or 2 to ensure you don't push them to hard. But unless you really cranked the volume I doubt you have harmed the headphone. I use tracks that are linked in my signature for download that I made, they are a combination of pink white and brown noise with built in rest periods. One has lots of brown noise which will push lower mids and bass harder and one has more pink and white noise which will push upper mids and treble harder.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #19 of 34
Sad thing if they got damaged, I hope this gets solved.

About burn in, I really don´t understand it. A product that´s going to be used for hundreds of hours... For me, few hours of burn in isn´t something I can´t do having the headphones on my ears. It´s also cool to actually hear the change gradually, if there is any. Everyone is on their own with this though, just my opinion.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #20 of 34
I also hear some kind of weird crackling, even in quiet passages. Can anyone help me out with this please (that also has M50's)? During the first 18 seconds of this song I hear it, and in the lossless version of this song I hear it too (just slightly less).

And I also hear it at about 2 mins into Bohemian Rhapsody (also Lossless). Am I the only hearing this, should I return em?

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #21 of 34
If it happens always in the same tracks, at the same moment, at all volumes, it's likely it's an audio artifact on the track itself.

If it happens at random, it could be your source.

If it happens even when you change your source, it may be your headphones.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 34
Are you using EQ? If so, sometimes you can oversaturate the signal, causing distortion. The artifacts thereof might be more noticeable through a good pair of headphones. If you have anything (EQ, DSP, surround effect, etc.) altering the signal, make sure you test it with this stuff turned off before you make any conclusions.

Apart from that, unless you really BLASTED the things, I would think driver damage is highly unlikely. The M50 can handle some serious juice (1600 mW, which is quite a lot for a pair of headphones). When I had them I burned mine in with a cocktail of pink, white, and brown noise, 25 minutes each with five minutes between. Before I added the breaks I left them going straight on pink noise at a fairly high volume for long stretches of time. I never had any problems.

If you want to check for distortion, you can do so by running test tones through them. Try a 1kHz sine wave at 0.0dB--this is the highest level audio can go before distortion, so if the sine wave sounds pure (no distortion), then you'll know there's nothing wrong with the headphones. (Keep the volume way down when you do this!) You can use Audacity to generate different tones.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 34
Just listened to it on my M50s and I hear it too. Mine are only a few hours old so I'm going to say its the track :) BTW, I hadn't heard this track before so I had the volume turned up and when the music kicked in it made my ears bleed >_>!

Quote:
I also hear some kind of weird crackling, even in quiet passages. Can anyone help me out with this please (that also has M50's)? During the first 18 seconds of this song I hear it, and in the lossless version of this song I hear it too (just slightly less).

And I also hear it at about 2 mins into Bohemian Rhapsody (also Lossless). Am I the only hearing this, should I return em?

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycro27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope, it's in there. I was surprised the first time I listened to that song on decent headphones. There's some horrendous distortion.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #25 of 34
Yep i hear it very clearly in the first 18 secs and 2min w/ A900s, and I get this a lot with youtube vids or low quality mp3s.

If your getting it in the same spots on the flac then id say its in the original recording.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #26 of 34
Burning in your headphones is just plain moronic.  It's not like they won't burn in if you're listening to them.  My advice is to listen to your headphones and enjoy them.  It's my opinion that any burn in that takes place is in your own head.  As you grow accustomed to a headphone's unique sound signature you learn to pick out different details that you didn't hear when you first started listening.  

Even if I'm wrong and burn in is real your headphones will still burn in while you're listening to them.  

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 34
Oh alright then, thanks for the replies. I really was considering returning them, didn't expect to hear any kind of noises like that with these headphones but I guess I just didnt really notice on the old headphones. I also kinda hated these headphones the first days after I got them (got em Monday morning). They were really bright and lacking in bass and now (almost Friday) they're still kinda lacking in bass but the brightness is getting slightly better I guess. I have to boost the bass a bit in Winamp just to notice that there's an actual bass line in the songs i'm playing.
frown.gif
I don't think there's anything wrong with them though (broken.)

And this is coming from someone that updated from these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-HEADPHONES-105886660-i1583091.gc

I'm going to assume my soundcard must be to blame, because they sound slightly better using my iPod. Probably need to buy an amp huh? Hate to be the black sheep and say im one of a very few that didnt like these headphones (as of now at least). Im pretty sure I just have some bad gear though and it's probably not the headphone's fault.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #30 of 34

Quote:
How many hours have you put into them? Its true you just might not like them :frowning2:

Well, at or around 40 hours so far with about 2 hours of white/pink noise on repeat (decided to burn em in by just listening to them.) I've been doing a lot of reading here and and at other forums about how good these headphones are (+ mixing) but i'm not sure what to say really. They're a nice upgrade from 20$ headphones but they don't really sound like 110$ headphones to me (and again maybe its my lack of knowledge or bad gear), but I don't want to give up on them yet lol. I'm going to give them another week or two and maybe plug them into different equipment and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back