New Pads and Many Hours: The Ultrasone Edition 10, Take Two
Mar 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #16 of 28
Hey, another Utah head-fier.
But why no LCD-2 or HE-6?  I was hoping for a listen. 
biggrin.gif
  I'm just over in A.F.

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #17 of 28
I've had a set of D7000's before, this is a redo.  I think I have a headphone problem, any twelve step programs available? 
eek.gif

Now you are mentioning the R10's?  You like to hurt me, don't you! 
wink.gif
  Someday I'll grow up and get some HE90's and an R10...

Peace,

Lee

Quote:
Can you still return the D7Ks, Lee?  :)

Amazing-looking cans, brilliant workmanship and some people love the deep bass, but Edition 10s they aren't, if I may say so without the benefit of listening to them all over again with the correct pads this time.  I had them at one time and they ended up in Craig's parts bin or whatever he calls the toolshed he has with every can ever made in the past 30 years (except the HE90s for which I suffered many an insult).

Actually, having access to the HE90s for the first time made me realize just how good the bass-heavy R10s are in terms of musicality and spatial imaging.  So those two I would definitely put on the highest pedestal.  Stax SR007 is out of the contest until I can hear it out of a BHSE which won't be here until Xmas, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

But your TWag 2 is certainly good enough match with the Ed10s to provide impressive performance even with the defective pads, which made cymbals sound like snare drums using the stock microphone wire.  Going balanced is just icing on the cake.  However, stand by until next week for some more impressions with the new pads.

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
Hey, another Utah head-fier.
But why no LCD-2 or HE-6?  I was hoping for a listen. 
biggrin.gif
  I'm just over in A.F.

There is a guy in AF that has some LCD2's, he and I are supposed to get together after my wife and I have beaten back the worst of her health issues, so maybe we can have a mini meet someday.  I have decided not to get LCD2's or HE6's, but I may get bored one of these days and pick them up, I've been known to do crazy things (ie buy things) while being bored sitting in the hospital with my wife, and having the world of commerce at my fingertips via a laptop...again, I need help, my name is Lee and I have a headphone problem. 
confused_face.gif

Peace,

Lee

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
There is a guy in AF that has some LCD2's, he and I are supposed to get together after my wife and I have beaten back the worst of her health issues, so maybe we can have a mini meet someday.  I have decided not to get LCD2's or HE6's, but I may get bored one of these days and pick them up, I've been known to do crazy things (ie buy things) while being bored sitting in the hospital with my wife, and having the world of commerce at my fingertips via a laptop...again, I need help, my name is Lee and I have a headphone problem. 
confused_face.gif

Peace,

Lee

Best wishes for your wife's procedure, Lee.  Hide your credit cards and focus on her well-being.  Good luck!

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
Going to try them off the headphone jack, and speaker taps, of the new Tri TRX-PM84, should be fund.

He-he. Freudian slip (yet so true!) 
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 28
to my ear I would rank the HE90 > O2=R10 >> ED10>507=HE6 = HD800=LCD2.

The HE90 and the R10 are something,which I didn't think,they should sound a lot better than the "headphones today",but I'm completely wrong.
So it is good to know,that there is still a long way to go for "the headphones today" to reach that level,that means (I hope) we will still always get better headphones in the future for a normal consumer  price.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
to my ear I would rank the HE90 > O2=R10 >> ED10>507=HE6 = HD800=LCD2.

The HE90 and the R10 are something,which I didn't think,they should sound a lot better than the "headphones today",but I'm completely wrong.
So it is good to know,that there is still a long way to go for "the headphones today" to reach that level,that means (I hope) we will still always get better headphones in the future for a normal consumer  price.

I have yet to hear the LCD2, but I would agree with your ranking based on my own experience on my current systems.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #27 of 28
Well, I have to say that based on my experience with the new "pad fixed" Edition 10, I would rank it below the HE-6, LCD-2, T1, HD-800, D7000, DX-1000, and Editon 8, when looked at overall. The Edition 10 does SOME individual things better than some of these, but looked at in total, it falls short of all the rest of the best.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #28 of 28
Have you considered returning them for a refund? I know that audio being highly subjective it is hard to claim manufacturing defects, but this certainly sounds like it qualifies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back