New Oriolus Stack - BD20 DAC, BA20 AMP, SE02 EQ, 1795 BT Receiver and more...
Oct 14, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #31 of 144
very cool, let us know each result you tried and what you think about it.
the stack is not mine but from an acquaintance i know so i can't try it by my own.

in contrast to your impression i didn't like BA300 much the last time i paired it with wm1a, but that was also a very short listening so i will try the full stack again :).
BA300s has a very warm, analog and tubey sound so not everyone might like it. BA300s mkii is slightly different from BA300s mki. The new one has a much lusher midrange.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #32 of 144
BA300s has a very warm, analog and tubey sound so not everyone might like it. BA300s mkii is slightly different from BA300s mki. The new one has a much lusher midrange.

Question, does It take a 4.4 input balanced, correct?

So i.e. I have a Lotoo Paw S1 with 4.4 out, no real line out if you want, but would It work with the new BA3000s?

The other options I have Is to use Cayin N3Pro with its 4.4 , but no point in using other valves when I have some inside already :) even though I am seling this DAP btw.

Final option would be to use Mojo with 3.5 to 4.4 male to male but SE to feed the BA300s... Would It Be ok in this case?

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #33 of 144
Question, does It take a 4.4 input balanced, correct?

So i.e. I have a Lotoo Paw S1 with 4.4 out, no real line out if you want, but would It work with the new BA3000s?

The other options I have Is to use Cayin N3Pro with its 4.4 , but no point in using other valves when I have some inside already :) even though I am dell'ing this DAP btw.

Final option would be to use Mojo with 3.5 to 4.4 male to male but SE to feed the BA300s... Would It Be ok in this case?

Thanks for the advice.
All options will work

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #34 of 144
All options will work
Thanks, of course I get the idea that the "cleaner" option would be to have a.digital out in 4.4 like Sony does, but the 4.4 shared line out from N3Pro should do the trick... Lotoo S1 I only feat It might give some hiss but It would be the least scenario in case... Gotta work this out :)

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #35 of 144
@seamon since you might be one of the most "into this" stack issue, since I am really intrigued, a couple of questions:
1) Oriolus 1795: what is the pitch here? I mean, what is the scenario where I use BT signal in a way that is "usable" for hi-end stack? I mean, if I cast the signal from a normal smartphone, the inital signal would already have a "bottleneck" that I believe will make all the remaining setup an overkill... am I missing something?
2) considering smartphone as a transport and then Lotoo S1 or Dense DAC (I already ordered, want to test the difference, you got me intrigued on this "battle" :)), after that what would you consider in order to get a better output? I am using Audeze isine 20 as a main IEM, no full size can at the horizon and in general I'll have some custom earbuds rating at 150ohm as a max (on 4.4 balanced).

11.11 is getting closer on Aliexpress :D

Thanks for the feedback

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #36 of 144
@seamon since you might be one of the most "into this" stack issue, since I am really intrigued, a couple of questions:
1) Oriolus 1795: what is the pitch here? I mean, what is the scenario where I use BT signal in a way that is "usable" for hi-end stack? I mean, if I cast the signal from a normal smartphone, the inital signal would already have a "bottleneck" that I believe will make all the remaining setup an overkill... am I missing something?
2) considering smartphone as a transport and then Lotoo S1 or Dense DAC (I already ordered, want to test the difference, you got me intrigued on this "battle" :)), after that what would you consider in order to get a better output? I am using Audeze isine 20 as a main IEM, no full size can at the horizon and in general I'll have some custom earbuds rating at 150ohm as a max (on 4.4 balanced).

Thanks for the feedback
just asking out of curiosity, why did you sell your DP100? I did read your thread last year and you seemed to have a great time with it.
It is still one of those "niche" daps that i want to own :).

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #37 of 144
just asking out of curiosity, why did you sell your DP100? I did read your thread last year and you seemed to have a great time with it.
It is still one of those "niche" daps that i want to own :).
To put It Simply, because at that time I was not aware of many things, and btw I sold It for few pennies and now regret It :)

Nov 5, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #38 of 144

Thanks for the feedback
1) Oriolus 1795D offers USB to Optical so it can be used to galvanically isolate the stack from the USB port. I have one, it's pretty useful.
2) Dense > S1. I returned the S1 10 minutes after I heard the Dense. For isine20, you don't need this stack, just the Dense is enough.

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #39 of 144
Hi all,
I've got one of these stacks arriving in the next week, BD20, BA20 & 1795D.
I already have the newer BS300 which I sometimes pair with my Hiby R6 Pro to give (IMO) a warmer "different" sound, sometimes I like the Hiby on it's own without the BS300, depending on what I'm listening to.
I ordered the 1795D as the bundle price was only £20 more than without it & I may find a use for it outside of this stack, generally I don't use bluetooth.

Anyway, onto the reason for posting ...

I'll be connecting to the BD20 via my Android phone (USB) but I also wanted to utilise the S/PDIF 3.5mm out from the Hiby & go into the BD20 that way although I am struggling to find a cable. Something like the Fiio L28 which unfortunately seems not to be compatible as it's for Fiio players only https://fiio.com/productinfo/26113.html.

The 1795D comes with a 3.5mm cable, is this suitable does anyone know?

Cheers.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #40 of 144
I ordered the 1795D as the bundle price was only £20 more than without it & I may find a use for it outside of this stack, generally I don't use bluetooth.
Where did you buy it? I didn't see that kind of bundle pricing anywhere.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #41 of 144
I believe there Is a bundle on AliExpress

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #42 of 144
Yes but the £20 difference on with or without 1795D. I've not seen that on AliExpress.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #44 of 144
Hi. I am very interested in the BD20 DAC. Perfect use case for me. I can't seem to find a partner for my THX AAA789. The Drop Airist is sold out and the Topping and SMSL DACS are not perfect fit in terms of dimensions. So I want to go the opposite route. That is, to get the smallest form factor balanced DAC and just place it on top of the 789. I'm just curious, what is the voltage output of the DAC and its output impedance?

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #45 of 144
I've only had this setup for a few days but so far I'm very happy with the sound out of the box, I'll give it some weeks of burn in time then explore swapping out the extra op-amps that were included in the BA20. I wanted a semi-portable setup for the house that gives easy access to the NAS audio share & can also play Tidal, so I am maybe a little unconventional in using MoOde Audio as the source on a raspberry Pi 3b, it allows users to access the hi-res library on the NAS & stream Tidal to it via Bubble UPnP from Android phones.
I've done some testing with plugging my Android phone into the BD20 directly via USB & listening via UAPP. Sound quality is fantastic, so musical and warm and such a pleasure to listen to.
Switching to the Pi yields no change in sound, it easily equals UAPP to my ears, I have used MoOde for years in various set ups and it's convenient for this setup for folks to just plug in, connect to the web interface via their phone & listen to whatever they want. I keep it powered by a powerbank, so the setup is portable around the house.

So the set up is MoOde Audio (Pi3b) > USB Out > BD20 > 4.4 balanced out > B300S (II) > 4.4 balanced out > BA20 > FIIO FH7's using 4.4 balanced cable.
I've not tried my HD650's yet.

The 1795D may have a use if you wanted to take the Oriolus stack out and have the convenience of connecting via bluetooth. I paired it with my Pixel 4a phone and connected it to the BD20 via optical and there's a noticable degregation in sound quality, it's a little warmer but no where near as transparent as connecting via USB & using UAPP or MoOde. I will probably never use it again, I have a Hiby R6 Pro I use for travelling which knocks spots off the Oriolus stack when using the 1795D.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back