New Or Used?
Feb 20, 2007 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

phaseshift

100+ Head-Fier
How can you tell if your AKG K701's are new when they are deliverd? Should the box be shrink wrapped? How can you tell a fake? I should get mine today and just want to make sure.
confused.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 16
No, the box isn't shrink wrapped. If you bought it from a reputable source, then I see no worries. I've yet to hear of fake full size headphones.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the box isn't shrink wrapped.

Hmm, mine seemed to be. I bought it used but the original owner bought it new from Headroom and left the original shrinkwrap on the box.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the box isn't shrink wrapped. If you bought it from a reputable source, then I see no worries. I've yet to hear of fake full size headphones.

Can anyone confirm that the box shouldnt be shrink wrapped? when i recieved mine the box was shrink wrapped.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 16
It seems to me that so long as people are buying from a reputable source shrink wrapped or not there should be no concern. I ordered 2 identical MP3 players online from the same store, and one arrived shrink wrapped and one didn't. That particular MP3 player was never shrink wrapped on shelves in stores. I think sometimes stores merely add shrink wrap.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by phaseshift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you tell if your AKG K701's are new when they are deliverd? Should the box be shrink wrapped? How can you tell a fake? I should get mine today and just want to make sure.
confused.gif

Buy from an authorized dealer. You'll get the real headphones.

If you buy on the gray market, you'll probably get the real headphone also. However, you're SOL if it doesn't work right.

As long as they look new, sound good, and are covered by warranty, what's the problem?

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 16
Just don't buy anything from nikongod
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 16
Well I got my K701's today and everything is fine. They came in the shrink wrapped box, and where very much brand new. The reason I was so worried was because I had bought them from Abes Of Maine, and then found out they were getting very mixed ratings. I'm just glad it worked out good for me this time. There pretty current to because the serial number is in the 10,000 range. Tomorrow I should get my Val E10 amp. I tried hooking them up to my H/K CDR-26 headphone jack, and that was disappointing. Hope the amp makes a big difference.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Well I got my K701's today and everything is fine. They came in the shrink wrapped box, and where very much brand new. The reason I was so worried was because I had bought them from Abes Of Maine, and then found out they were getting very mixed ratings. I'm just glad it worked out good for me this time. There pretty current to because the serial number is in the 10,000 range. Tomorrow I should get my Val E10 amp. I tried hooking them up to my H/K CDR-26 headphone jack, and that was disappointing. Hope the amp makes a big difference.

Anyone know where this Abes of Maine is located? And if they have a walk in store? It'd be very nice to be able to demo some higher end AKGs.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rylinkus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where this Abes of Maine is located? And if they have a walk in store? It'd be very nice to be able to demo some higher end AKGs.

There in New Jersey, and they do have a store front. 5 Fernwood ave Edison N/J.

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone confirm that the box shouldnt be shrink wrapped? when i recieved mine the box was shrink wrapped.

Shrink wrapping can be done by the reseller you know..

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Well I got my K701's today and everything is fine. They came in the shrink wrapped box, and where very much brand new. The reason I was so worried was because I had bought them from Abes Of Maine, and then found out they were getting very mixed ratings. I'm just glad it worked out good for me this time. There pretty current to because the serial number is in the 10,000 range. .....

just got mine from Abe's of Maine a couple days ago. shrik wrapped as well. They should be genuine AKG.

-- by no means i endorse Abe's of Maine though. That store can be sneaky sometime as the sales guys will call you and lie to push some junk to you. NEVER buy any of the stuff you are pushing!!!

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shrink wrapping can be done by the reseller you know..

I know, but you can just tell these were never touched. I can't wait till I get my amp. Their pretty current stock to the serial number is in the 10,500 range.

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #15 of 16
phaseshift, congrats on the headphone.

I stand corrected. It's obvious from everyone's comments that the K701 is shrink wrapped. I purchased mine from Headroom as well when it was first released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back