New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Sep 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 258

longbowbbs

Reviewer at Hi-Fi+
http://cave.hometheaterhifi.com/profiles/blogs/2012-cedia-show-report-robert-kozel

Secrets of Home Theater HiFi has their Cedia report up and it includes the first looks at the new Oppo BDP103 & BDP 105

Built in USB input with DAC and Headphone Amp and plug!

Let the speculation begin!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/

Towards the end of a delightful meal, we happened to find two mysterious bags containing prototype units of the BDP-103 and BDP-105 Blu-ray players from Oppo Digital. Not being ones to shy away from a little audio/video geek-by-candlelight, we delighted in examining these players. We didn't have our cameras with us, but we made the best of the lighting and the cameras on our phones to bring these pictures to you.

Both the BDP-103 and BDP-105 offer an updated Qdeo processor and a front-mounted HDMI input with support for MHL which stands for Mobile High-Definition Link.  The BDP-103 is on the bottom in this photo.
MHL allows for the direct connection of mobile and portable devices. MHL is the standard used by the Roku Streaming Stick product which allows for full streaming content in a form factor similar to a USB stick. Both players will support 4K x 2K output and of course support 3D. You will also notice that the buttons on the front panel have been redesigned. The button to eject the tray is now backlit! It wasn't surprising that a Roku Streaming Stick happened to appear at our table.  
The BDP-105 is on the top in the next photo.  The appearance of the BDP-105 is very similar to the BDP-95 with a few noticeable changes. The eject tray button is now backlit. The USB port is moved and is joined by the MHL/HDMI port. The connection on the right hand side of the player is indeed an input for a headphone because the BDP-105 now includes a headphone amplifier! 

The back of the BDP-105 includes a few more surprises. The player includes coax, optical, and USB digital inputs allowing you to use the BDP-105 as a DAC. The USB DAC is synchronized by the clock circuits in the player and supports 24/192.
The balanced inputs on the back of the BDP-105 are now right-side up. This reflects a redesign of the audio board and a new power-supply with is made directly by Oppo Digital.  The redesign also eliminates the need for a fan in the BDP-105.
You will also notice two USB inputs and a single output labeled “Diag.” This output offers access to the basic setup menus in case you accidentally happen to configure the player in such a way that the menus are not viewable via the HDMI interface.

We had one last surprise for the evening. The Oppo remote has some changes as well. The remote now includes dedicated buttons for Netflix and Vudu.
These machines are still prototypes and Oppo is still working on the firmware. Many more details will be coming in the future and we will be providing you reviews of both players in the future. Release dates are not established yet, so please be patient as Oppo Digital brings these two beauties to market.

I am including some more photos for your enjoyment. That's it for today. Much more to come.

popcorn.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 258
There is also a long thread building up on the AVS forum, highly anticipated with excitement.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428214/official-oppo-bdp-103-bdp-105-anticipation-thread

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 258
Quote:
This looks nice but what does this offer over a decent DAC/ amp combo and a $80 Panasonic BD player other than great DVD upconversion which is becoming less and less relevant?

Its for those who have a need and use for its features. If you're only here to criticize a product that is not even out yet I don't believe that deserves any purpose.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 258
Point is valid considering the price point of these units. A $200 Audio-gd NFB-12 with a $110 Panasonic BD87 with Wifi and all the streaming needed, playing BD disks exactly the same as the Oppo player (though not as well with DVD's) seems a better value to me.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 258
Quote:
Point is valid considering the price point of these units. A $200 Audio-gd NFB-12 with a $110 Panasonic BD87 with Wifi and all the streaming needed, playing BD disks exactly the same as the Oppo player (though not as well with DVD's) seems a better value to me.

Considering the BDP-105 contains a HP amp/dac and transport plus likely a strong DAC (The 95 had good ones) the price at $995 should be competitive with other similar units. The Cambridge 851C is nearly $2K.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 258
If the 105 offers the same features as the 95 plus the HP amp and as a DAC with SPDIF and USB and the same price as the 95, it will sell. Personally, I will not buy one since I already have a 95 which I bought for a DAC with transport for my CDs, SACDs, DVDs, BDs, HDCDs, etc... and for a hdd filled with all types of music format and videos. If I didn't have a 95, I would buy it.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 258
I never did buy the 95,but I may have to look at this one.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 258
Quote:
Considering the BDP-105 contains a HP amp/dac and transport plus likely a strong DAC (The 95 had good ones) the price at $995 should be competitive with other similar units. The Cambridge 851C is nearly $2K.

I don't disagree that this unit most likely sounds good, I'm saying you can get the same quality (IMO) and functionality for 1/3 the price

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 258
You forgot about SACD, DVD-A, FLAC, etc.
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 258
Quote:
I don't disagree that this unit most likely sounds good, I'm saying you can get the same quality (IMO) and functionality for 1/3 the price

Quote:

Examples?

There are no examples where you can get ALL that the Oppo offers and supports in any combination of boxes for the same price as the Oppo let alone for less that I am aware of.  If so, I would like a list with model numbers and prices.

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 258
I gave examples before- NFB-12 DAC/Amp plus a $110 Panasonic BD player with Wifi. Yes the Oppo has a few extra ins/outs but what else does it do better than what I listed for $600-700 more?
I'm done- let the talk revolve around the Oppo now.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 258
The 851C is a great unit for the money though. I'm sure the Oppo will be great, too. The 95 was, but the 851C is a much more versatile unit as far as other digital sources go. More ins, more variety. Granted format wise the Oppo takes it (being a multiplayer)

And just judging from the point of these photos and the 95...The 851C probably kicks it in the face build quality wise.

All that being said...I could see owning one as I am without a BluRay player, atm.

Quote:

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 258
Quote:
I gave examples before- NFB-12 DAC/Amp plus a $110 Panasonic BD player with Wifi. Yes the Oppo has a few extra ins/outs but what else does it do better than what I listed for $600-700 more?
I'm done- let the talk revolve around the Oppo now.

Have you compared NFB-12 and Oppo 95/93?  I haven't heard NFB-12, but Oppo 95 was one of the best DAC I heard under $2,000 including some very serious name brands.  Perhaps you are ditching out Oppo too easily?  I'm strongly interested in buying 105 if the price is right.  Like I stated, I haven't heard NFB-12, but I did listen to a few Audio-GD products.  Some were fatastic, but some were not.  I felt like Audio-GD products carry certain characteristic per the product line or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back