New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?
Jun 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #166 of 287
Oh, speaking of replacement cables, anyone have an idea on a cheap one?

Try the Shure IEM replacement cables. I haven't heard of people using them, but they use MMCX connectors and don't cost an arm and a leg.

EDIT: I wrote a review for these headphones! Decided to finally go for it after owning them for quite some time. Not that I think anyone was ever hesitant to buy them with all of their features taken into account.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #169 of 287
Oh, speaking of replacement cables, anyone have an idea on a cheap one?

I don't have Onkyo's (yet - planning to get) but connector looks same as some of the new Chinesse IEM's. I have few and they all use MMCX connector, some are better than the others.
Check the Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread for more info. Brands that I'm talking about: Moxpad X3, Somic MH415.

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #170 of 287
Well haven't given my onkyos much of a listen lately and went to use them with my vita and instantly noticed there is a channel imbalance 
frown.gif

Switched to my dragonfly and still imbalance, switching sides/switching cable and same thing. Right side sounds louder. I'll send onkyo an email but this is pretty annoying.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #171 of 287
  Well haven't given my onkyos much of a listen lately and went to use them with my vita and instantly noticed there is a channel imbalance 
frown.gif

Switched to my dragonfly and still imbalance, switching sides/switching cable and same thing. Right side sounds louder. I'll send onkyo an email but this is pretty annoying.

This happens to me with a lot (like 50-60%) of headphones.  If you're using an iOS device, android device, Fiio X3/5, Rockboxed anything, Windows Computer, Mac; it's not difficult to re-balance the sound.  For example, if the sound is slightly louder in the left channel, add some volume to the right.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #172 of 287
Just got mine - too soon for impressions, but I can add one silly little point.  When eating with these on, big bites break the seal on the cups (bass dropouts) while my jaw flexes.  Super temporary, and nothing like the annoyance of potato chips with IEMs, but just an observation.

OK, back to lunch and these cans.

Hanzo

edit: 20 minutes of listening later and I am ditching my Shure 840s.  Wowza.  I'm surprised how kind they are to my crap old encodings - they just sound flat, but not like nails on a chalkboard.  Details and base extension.  Happy Happy.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #173 of 287

This can is so lively and realistic that I purchased the silver version.
This can is just excellent.
Anyway I posted the black ones for sale but may just keep.
I would say this is one of the best in mid tier class.
I like these better than vmoda m100 bass and has better clarity than most cans.
Detail retrieval high but the timbre makes it realistic.
Mids may be slightly forward though on certain recordings. .
Bass is just impressive as it has a realistic nature to it..
Trebles are just on point clear.
This can is priced so cheap that it is not taken seriously and also the cable connector was a stupid idea but haven't had any issues myself..

Edit: I would say these are easily on par with the likes of a m100 or a Sony any model take Ur pick up to the 7520..

Soundstage as large as those as well.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #176 of 287
has anyone compared these to the sennheiser momentums over ears? tyll mentioned that the momentums are above the fc300s (anyone else feels this way) so far i love the momentums, they sound amazing but i really can't keep them, (i spent money i shouldn't have spent). the onkyos are much cheaper (plus the white is pretty dam sexyy)

their overall sound signature is nearly perfect, with a few quibbles.

the biggest--> least
1) the treble is just missing some sparkle, its articulate but its a bit rolled off for my taste
2) the 4-5k drop out, making female vocals sound a bit distant compare to male vocals.
3) the bass is just a bit, just a bit loose (quantity wise, its good (neutral enough for portable use, at home you can hear that its above neutral but still blends in well)

imaging is superb, i haven't heard of a closed can that imaged so well and soundstage is rather large again for a closed can (while isolating well)

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #177 of 287
There just aren't many headphones that can compete with the Onkyos in terms of price to performance. The term "better than headphones double its price" is remarkably overused and completely disregards the headphones that actually are good, but I genuinely think that if Onkyo fixed the complaints I had with these, they would be worth more. Replaceable memory foam pads, better build quality (including different connectors)... I'd be all over that. A circumaural headphone from them would be nice, too.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #179 of 287
  There just aren't many headphones that can compete with the Onkyos in terms of price to performance. The term "better than headphones double its price" is remarkably overused and completely disregards the headphones that actually are good, but I genuinely think that if Onkyo fixed the complaints I had with these, they would be worth more. Replaceable memory foam pads, better build quality (including different connectors)... I'd be all over that. A circumaural headphone from them would be nice, too.

lol thanks for the reply. i'm not looking for better than double the price. 

i mean in terms of disregarding the price. how do they stack up. just sonically speaking. i've been using on ears for a while now and i like the comfort of the over ears of the momentums but if the pads on the the onkyos are good i might switch back ( over ears are just soo much more comfy)

YES to the memory foam! or sell them separately, the change in connectors would be nice too

but i would really love it if they make a circumaural.

maybe i should just wait. i love the design on the onkyos, i'm sure they will continue that throughout the line =) cross fingers a circumaural comes out soon. i'm definitely gonna snap up a pair

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #180 of 287

This can is so lively and realistic that I purchased the silver version.
This can is just excellent.
Anyway I posted the black ones for sale but may just keep.
I would say this is one of the best in mid tier class.
I like these better than vmoda m100 bass and has better clarity than most cans.
Detail retrieval high but the timbre makes it realistic.
Mids may be slightly forward though on certain recordings. .
Bass is just impressive as it has a realistic nature to it..
Trebles are just on point clear.
This can is priced so cheap that it is not taken seriously and also the cable connector was a stupid idea but haven't had any issues myself..

Edit: I would say these are easily on par with the likes of a m100 or a Sony any model take Ur pick up to the 7520..

Soundstage as large as those as well.

Agreed, great cans - love the depth of its bass. I really think the cavernous earcups are what's doing it for me. I pair my with my X3 and really like the synergy.

I had gotten an awesome deal on the silver ones a while back. Then, when I saw the violet ones go sub-$80 a few weeks back, I picked up a pair and attached my silver cables to those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back