New Naim headphone amp/DAC
Apr 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #106 of 193
Thanks so much Paul for the link. So the DAC must support Integer Mode. Audirvana bypasses CoreAudio and "reenables the buried Integer Mode", according to the FAQs. BitPerfect uses CoreAudio.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #108 of 193
For anyone using Audirvana and OSX with their DAC-V1, I just solved my problem. I just talked to Damien at Audirvana regarding 16 bit test samples not being recognized by the DAC-V1. He advised me that, under Audio Volume in preferences, if I set Audio Volume to "Dac Only", then the test samples from Naim that are 16 bit and played while I have the Naim Bit Analysis test running will no longer provide the message "no test audio found". They are now recognized and pass the BitPerfect test. Many thanks to Damien for great software and excellent support!

update: I just heard from Phil Harris from Naim, and he was very helpful as well. Since I had used Audirvana before getting the DAC, I had various settings configured that varied from the stock default ones. So he told me that Naim's setup instructions assume a 'clean' install of Audirvana and only give the optional settings required for the DAC, and assume everything else is set to default. Again great support from Naim, and it's excellent that they provide instructions on their website for all the popular players. Phil is always available to provide assistance, and very quick in responding.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #109 of 193
Quote:
Why disappointed Hawk? Thats a shame. Look forward to hearing back from you. The one I will hear next week should have been on for around 48hrs when I get to hear it. Hoping it sounds good by then!

Julian

Hi Julian.

Have you managed to listen to the V1 yet? Please post some impressions when you have.

Paul

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #110 of 193
Quote:
I've had the DAC-V1 running continuously for about 24 hours. I'm quite quite disappointed so far. I'm using a brand new MacBook, Audirvana Plus, A Nait XS, and Naim speakers. I'll give it more time to break in.

Hawk,

How are your feelings about the DAC-V1 now? I guess you should have around 100 hours on it by now.

Best wishes,

Paul

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #111 of 193
Quote:
Hawk,

How are your feelings about the DAC-V1 now? I guess you should have around 100 hours on it by now.

Best wishes,

Paul

A good gear should reveal its true personality after less than 12 hrs. If you have been listening to it for 100 hours and you are disappointed with the sound, then it is either there is something wrong with your setup (weak links) or the gear truly sucks.

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #112 of 193
Quote:
Hawk,

Best wishes,

Paul

Paul, life is complicated some times. I was puzzled why the DAC-V1 wasn't sounding as good as it should, especially by now. I tried my Rega Dac today. It's not sounding as it should either. Perhaps something is wrong with my system, or perhaps it relates to a problem I was having with my hearing several months ago. That was partially resolved, but there was still some lingering hearing impairment. It was difficult getting used to the change in my hearing, and I ended up not listening to music much after that. I decided to take a break from stereo in January. Naim announced this new DAC, so I ordered it, because I wanted more than the Rega could deliver. I wanted to see how I might enjoy listening to music more with a better DAC, in light of my hearing issues. Which brings us to now. After listening to music again with the new DAC, and listening to the Rega today, it appears that either the aspect of my hearing impairment that was better months ago is now back, or something is not right with the system. A friend with a much finer Naim system is going to stop by and listen, as will others, and hopefully I will have a better understanding of the situation soon.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #113 of 193
Not yet Paul, soon 
biggrin.gif
 I hope...

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #114 of 193
Quote:
Paul, life is complicated some times. I was puzzled why the DAC-V1 wasn't sounding as good as it should, especially by now. I tried my Rega Dac today. It's not sounding as it should either. Perhaps something is wrong with my system, or perhaps it relates to a problem I was having with my hearing several months ago. That was partially resolved, but there was still some lingering hearing impairment. It was difficult getting used to the change in my hearing, and I ended up not listening to music much after that. I decided to take a break from stereo in January. Naim announced this new DAC, so I ordered it, because I wanted more than the Rega could deliver. I wanted to see how I might enjoy listening to music more with a better DAC, in light of my hearing issues. Which brings us to now. After listening to music again with the new DAC, and listening to the Rega today, it appears that either the aspect of my hearing impairment that was better months ago is now back, or something is not right with the system. A friend with a much finer Naim system is going to stop by and listen, as will others, and hopefully I will have a better understanding of the situation soon.

That's not good at all; I hope you get a resolution for whatever the problem is quickly, especially if it's related to your hearing.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #115 of 193
Hi Hawk

Please ensure only one DAC is connected to your preamp at a time. Naim amps don't like earth issues / loops. It affects all sources connected to them adversely. Also, use the same input for each to ensure a level playing field.

Hope this helps.

Good luck, Julian

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #116 of 193
Well, I just had a real scare with my PC and the DAC-V1; I couldn't get any sound via the V1 at all. My PC crashed, and the V1 no longer appeared as a playback device.

If this happens to you...

1. Disconnect the USB cable
2. Power the DAC-V1 off
3. Repair/re-install the DAC-V1 driver
4. Plug the USB cable in
5. Power up the DAC-V1

The PC should then pop a window saying that it is installing the driver.

Set the DAC-V1 as the playback device (in Windows and your media player, as per naim's instructions) and you should hopefully be able to play music again. I went through multiple reboots and re-installs to get this to work, it was only after the power-off and disconnect of USB that I managed to restore playback.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #117 of 193
Quote:

A good gear should reveal its true personality after less than 12 hrs. If you have been listening to it for 100 hours and you are disappointed with the sound, then it is either there is something wrong with your setup (weak links) or the gear truly sucks.

Zack, Naim equipment is well known for taking from days to weeks to settle and start to really perform.

Even after this break-in period, it should usually be left powered on, and typically takes an hour or so to sound its best after starting to play music.

This is not news; it's been known about for several decades but may not be what you have been used to with other equipment. It is not related to set-up or weak links.

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #118 of 193
Hi

I went to see my mate who has a V1 on home demo last night for curry and some choons. Very nice evening was had!

I got the opportunity to listen to the DAC in his all Naim system. We compared mainly to his [recently serviced] CDS2. I am surprised to say, the DAC didn't come off well. I was hoping for something a lot better from the DAC that we heard. Sure its very detailed, more so than the CDS2 but the CDP* certainly grooves better, more joie de vivre if you like. The DAC was, to quote my friend, very "pedestrian". That was through a 52/250/SBL's

Using headphones, the Sennheiser HD800s were pretty lacklusture too. Going through the motions, no passion. TBH, I kind of expected that after hearing the DAC through the speakers. My Grado 325is faired rather better. Not so source dependant, nor revealing, they boogied along quite nicely.

Something else we discovered was that the Naim recommended 24/44.1 setting was not the best [from iMac in Audio Midi settings]. We both found the 16/44.1 output added a little more gusto and rhythmic integrity. I guess Naim recommend those settings for universal file playback convenience rather than optimal performance?

Finally, one thing we both thought was strange was that the buffer was only ever around 65% full [async USB connection]. My NDX runs at 100% pretty much all the time IME. 

The DAC had been on for 48hrs when I heard it, running quite a lot of that time. I am waiting to hear whether it was new out of the box or had been running at the dealer beforehand. Suffice to say, my mate will not be buying one. My conclusion was that I think I prefer what the UnitiQute gives in sound quality over the V1, certainly more fun playback, obviously not designed as a headphone source though.

One annoying thing I found was the proximity of the headphone socket to the volume knob. The HP cable kept me "shuffling" the volume, rather than one operation.

Julian

* I am not a big fan of the CDS2 it must be said. I much prefer the original CDS and the 3! So, the DAC coming off not so well was a genuine surprise.

May 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #120 of 193
I bought the Naim V1 dac today after a demo at the dealer with my system and cables. On the Counting Crows album (august and everything after) i found some songs showed some sibilance in the vocals. Does the Naim V1 have that tendency?
I should note that the dac was not completly burned in.
Also note that i use Van Damme LOFC speakercable at home.

Tested on:
Chord prodac > Naim V1 > Chord Cobra 3 > Naimxs > Van Den Hull CS122 > Dynaudio X12

I was sure when i had the demo about my disission to buy the dac, but now i have serious doubts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back