New Nagra HD DAC
Oct 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #541 of 820
Notice that the headphone output is SS.

@paulchiu could argument but don't know if a tubey DAC output feeding a tube amp isn't too colored ?

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #542 of 820
  Notice that the headphone output is SS.

@paulchiu could argument but don't know if a tubey DAC output feeding a tube amp isn't too colored ?

Yes, not plug and play.  You will need to match the Nagra HD DAC with the right sounding tube amp and roll into the right tubes for your music.  For me, vintage 300B works very well with my tunes.

Paul

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #543 of 820
Just buy it, Bertrand, you have been after it for what nearly 2 years now. Its a great unit, one of my closest audio friend's did and loves it. It is just sublime with Vocals etc.  

I guess you are right but... with so many new technology comings sudently to the DAC market ( ROON, Streaming and...MQA.) I hesitate to put 20k In a DAC that support none of those and which is made by a company definitively not known for releasing often new firmware or upgraded internal boards to embrase new technologies when they become reconised as useful ( like PSAudio or Auralic for example does on a regular basis) . :wink:)

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #545 of 820
Thank you for your advice but for me the real NAGRA DAC Is the " HD DAC ". The beauty of the HD is this output tube... :)

I have revisited the power on the Nagra and no longer feed the mps with a Shunyata alpha digital and into the Triton v2.

I'm using lesloss reference pc into a lesloss firewall and then into the mps. Pc straight into the wall outlet. It is a revelation!

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #546 of 820
I have revisited the power on the Nagra and no longer feed the mps with a Shunyata alpha digital and into the Triton v2.

I'm using lesloss reference pc into a lesloss firewall and then into the mps. Pc straight into the wall outlet. It is a revelation!

I tried the Alpha Digital & Analog initially with a number of other cords from other makers and found my MPS works best with the Shunyata Sigma Analog power cord.  Currently, I use a Sigma HC cord into a Triton V2 with three High Fidelity Cables Magnetic Wave guides nearby.  One Sigma Analog cord into the Nagra MPS.
This is the quietest setup I have yet heard anywhere. 

Trying out some CT-1 Reference power cords with the 300B amps also.

Paul

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #547 of 820

I tried the Alpha Digital & Analog initially with a number of other cords from other makers and found my MPS works best with the Shunyata Sigma Analog power cord.  Currently, I use a Sigma HC cord into a Triton V2 with three High Fidelity Cables Magnetic Wave guides nearby.  One Sigma Analog cord into the Nagra MPS.
This is the quietest setup I have yet heard anywhere. 

Trying out some CT-1 Reference power cords with the 300B amps also.

Paul

I also have a similar setup (and a grounding cable from HD DAC to Triton V2). This combination of LessLoss reference and firewall module tore down my unshakeable confidence that Shunyata was the end game.....

Wider frequency response, faster transient response, more air and can still be quiet.... I did not realize my bandwidth and dynamics were being squeezed by the Shunyata... worth trying... Too bad I don't live near you otherwise I bring over the cables and box to show you!

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #548 of 820

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a "lesloss reference pc into a lesloss firewall. " ?

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #550 of 820
Sorry my bad....

Power cord

http://www.lessloss.com/dfpc-series-p-213.html

Firewall module

http://www.lessloss.com/firewall-module-p-216.html

I have 4 LossLess power cables. Does the LossLess firewall have superior skinning effect, as Louis Motek says? 

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #551 of 820

I have 4 LossLess power cables. Does the LossLess firewall have superior skinning effect, as Louis Motek says? 

At least those " firewall modules" looks good :). And I suppose that the PC+firewall solution from LessLoss is much cheaper than the previous Shunyata set-up ?

So if It sound better than Shunyata alpha digital+Triton, then those LessLoss are a very good deal !! It is just surprising that those simple LossLess "passive" devices are more efficient than those BIG active Shunyata stuff !??

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #553 of 820
  I also have a similar setup (and a grounding cable from HD DAC to Triton V2). This combination of LessLoss reference and firewall module tore down my unshakeable confidence that Shunyata was the end game.....

Wider frequency response, faster transient response, more air and can still be quiet.... I did not realize my bandwidth and dynamics were being squeezed by the Shunyata... worth trying... Too bad I don't live near you otherwise I bring over the cables and box to show you!

What?  I thought you lived in Manhattan too....  
biggrin.gif

Paul

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #554 of 820
How does the Nagra sound driving the Utopia ? Good for what kind of music genre ?

What powerful enough headphone SS amp would suit feeded by the Nagra ?

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #555 of 820
How does the Nagra sound driving the Utopia ? Good for what kind of music genre ?

What powerful enough headphone SS amp would suit feeded by the Nagra ?

Vocals on the Nagra HD DAC has always been my favorite go-to and with the Utopia, Adele had never sounded better.  Nagra gives you beyond the details, a sense of three dimensionality. So, rock, Jazz, country all work beautifully with Nagra Focal combo.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back