New Nagra HD DAC
Mar 2, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #812 of 820
XLR output is not truly balanced unless you got the optional transformers installed, which Nagra does not advise. They think that adding an extra transformer in the signal path will degrade the sound, so they advise not to use XLR. Unless you have >3m long runs, there is no benefit to XLR - actually it's a drawback. And if you have 3m+ long runs, move things around so you don't!

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #813 of 820
Oct 2, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #815 of 820
Tried tube dac with psu, lcd5 headphone. The best hotel California I’ve heard in my life.
I am happy to see that this thread is life again.
Did you plugged the LCD5 direct to the tube DAC ou did you used a separate headphone amp.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #817 of 820
The Nagra headphone output is not all that powerful, so fairly efficient headphones are needed. The Final Audio D8000 Pro and LCD4Z work well.

However, I don't find the Nagra headphone output all that good. My EAR HP4 and Niimbus US4 are really much better. I haven't heard the BHSE and SR009 but I am also surprised by the comment that the Nagra headphone output is as good.

It is a great DAC but works best with an external amp in my opinion.
Hey, noticed you have EAR HP4, just curious how well it pairs with Nagra Dac? For LCD4z will it benefit to use an external amp like HP4 or Nimbus or internal amp of Nagra would be enough?

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #818 of 820
Anyone have or heard the Nagra HD DAC X? Been thinking of upgrading my Dave Blu setup. Anyone come from something similar, and if so, what improvements did you notice?

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #819 of 820
Anyone have or heard the Nagra HD DAC X? Been thinking of upgrading my Dave Blu setup. Anyone come from something similar, and if so, what improvements did you notice?
Yes. I went from the Tube DAC to the HD DAC X (still use the Tube). Everything improved: soundstage, noise floor, etc.
There are great reviews of both on Brazilian website Clue du Audio.

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #820 of 820
Has anyone moved to the Nagra after having a Dave/Blu combo? Curious to see what the benefits are. Big cost difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back