New Nagra HD DAC
Sep 14, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #166 of 820
  Nagra HD DAC is one of those things one should make an effort to audition for any audiophile or folks who simply enjoy listening to music.

Many often ask how many percent it is better than the next DAC.  I have realize over time that this is not the question.
You can never say one actor is 10, 20 or 50% better than another.  Each brings to the audience a different performance with unique perspective and flavor.
And this is what the Nagra HD DAC does.  Even after several meetings with it, the music from the Nagra cannot be easily compared with other highly rated DACs.
I cannot replicate the experience afterwards with my other gear.  There maybe portions of music where I saw similarities, far more of the Nagra delivery is unique.  It really sticks with you for a long time.

Was good to read this post as a friend had asked me the same question a few days earlier. He has a LH DaVinci and was in the mindset for a "upgrade" I asked him what particular aspect of the sound he was getting currently was he not happy with? There was nothing that he could think of.

This year I have heard a lot of very expensive DAC's, apart from one major disappointment, the performance from them whilst slightly different was of very satisfying level. Frankly I would have been happy with any of them. I had a slight preference there and there but the point is that is subjective and someone else will probably have a different view. Current SOTA DAC's are very very good, IMHO its the biggest favour you can do to your sound. Preferably coupled with a good music server and all is good. IMHO Digital has improved more over the past 5 years than Analog sources have. All of my DAC's approach the way they convert files totally differently and with different architectures. DaVinci is R2R with Delta Sigma engine for DSD (but it doesn't do native DSD ??) Kalliope uses straight Delta Sigma off the shelf 9018S in Dual Differential coupling for optimal performance. The CAD 1543 is straight old fashioned Philips 1543 DAC chips arranged in parallel in an R2R config using DAC the chips own voltage to directly drive the RCA outputs. The Nagra uses a custom FPGA with the code written by an engineer who probably knows as much if not more about the actual data equation than anyone else on the planet. Don't have the Nagra yet but the above all sound slightly different but the differences are slight.

So when I read your post and that the Nagra leaves you with a lasting memory of the performance, that's exciting to put it mildly. Good timing thanks 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #167 of 820
Something else you guys might be interested in, I won't bore you with the specs but in terms of specs takes digital to the next level. No one has heard it yet outside of LH. Has a C3G tube as the output stage and has multiple inputs so can be used as a digital front end. Doesn't make me feel much better about the price though.

Price is $146,000 USD

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #169 of 820
Apparently they are making them at a loss as a showcase of technology. They plan to build 2 a year. I bet most of what does get sold will be to the Hong Kong Audio circuit

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #170 of 820
  I have given in, I have always wanted to own a piece of Nagra equipment. so NAGRA HD DAC + MPS + AVS bases ordered, delivery is 14-21 days. Ordered it with the battery for the MPS. 

Will be feeding it from my Computer Audio Design server, just got Roon Server running on that in headless mode and control via my iPad, the iOS app is great. Will be keeping the Kalliope around to go into the 2 channel system. I am looking forward to trying the various configurations with the Woo 234's and without them using HE-1000's.

Could anyone tell me please what is the best way of connecting the DAC to the MPS ?

System stand is installed, photo of the rig at present attached.

You will need roughly 500 hours of break in with the HD DAC... then you will hear the magic
Did you mean the VFS bases? By the way the MPS VFS will have a different size and layout to the HD DAC VFS.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #172 of 820

You will need roughly 500 hours of break in with the HD DAC... then you will hear the magic
Did you mean the VFS bases? By the way the MPS VFS will have a different size and layout to the HD DAC VFS.

Yep sorry VFS bases, you are quite right had to order 2 one for the DAC & one for the MPS. Received news this morning that the shipment is on its way, being Australia it should arrive mid next week. Thanks for the info on the hours, I have noticed that most DAC's seem to take that amount of time to show their best. I normally leave them on 24/7, might have to rethink that once its run in as it has a valve. 

The Meitner DAC's are very good, good news that you say that the Nagra is better, should be quite something then

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #173 of 820
I ordered my Nagra kit, including the HD DAC, MPS and VFS plates for both.
Expecting all mid to late October.
Cleaning up my office table and ordering a new Grado PS1000e to use with the Nagra.
Very exciting.

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #174 of 820
I ordered my Nagra kit, including the HD DAC, MPS and VFS plates for both.
Expecting all mid to late October.
Cleaning up my office table and ordering a new Grado PS1000e to use with the Nagra.
Very exciting.

Congratulations ! Mine arrived in Sydney yesterday, waiting for custom clearance. I share your excitement, I have not been this enthusiastic about a new piece of equipment for a long time. Did you order the optional battery as well?

What source are you going to be using?

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #175 of 820
Congratulations ! Mine arrived in Sydney yesterday, waiting for custom clearance. I share your excitement, I have not been this enthusiastic about a new piece of equipment for a long time. Did you order the optional battery as well?

What source are you going to be using?

Not sure about if the USA spec MPS comes with battery or not.  Was it optional in Australia?
I will ask my New York dealer about the battery option soon.

For source, I will likely try the HD DAC with a transport, tracks stored on my Macbook Pro, plus my Sony ZW2.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #176 of 820
Not sure about if the USA spec MPS comes with battery or not.  Was it optional in Australia?

For source, I will likely try the HD DAC with a transport, tracks stored on my Macbook Pro, plus my Sony ZW2.

The batteries are optional in all cases. However I'm not sure it was intended for the HD dac.It was designed for the phono stage.to run in dc mode...

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #177 of 820
Man, that set-up sure looks familiar...

I have given in, I have always wanted to own a piece of Nagra equipment. so NAGRA HD DAC + MPS + AVS bases ordered, delivery is 14-21 days. Ordered it with the battery for the MPS. 

Will be feeding it from my Computer Audio Design server, just got Roon Server running on that in headless mode and control via my iPad, the iOS app is great. Will be keeping the Kalliope around to go into the 2 channel system. I am looking forward to trying the various configurations with the Woo 234's and without them using HE-1000's.

Could anyone tell me please what is the best way of connecting the DAC to the MPS ?

System stand is installed, photo of the rig at present attached.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Sep 20, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #178 of 820

Yep was optional here, I called Nagra and grey said to plug the output labelled 1 on the MPS into the digital power input of the HD DAC, the one labelled 2 into the Analog section. Apparently the battery runs off output 1 of the MPS, can Harmonix corroborate that info please ?

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #179 of 820
Yep was optional here, I called Nagra and grey said to plug the output labelled 1 on the MPS into the digital power input of the HD DAC, the one labelled 2 into the Analog section. Apparently the battery runs off output 1 of the MPS, can Harmonix corroborate that info please ?

Okay a few things you need to know on the typical MPS setup. Nagra recommends : Digital = Output#1 / Analog = Output#2
I think this is so that the power on/off sequence shuts things in the right order

Reread the manual and therefore changed this (it is confusing)... the BPS option should not apply there is a separate internal battery option which is mentioned and that will output from #1 line.

Well "if anyone is willing to spend some $$$ and experiment to take one for the team this would be greatly appreciated :wink:"

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #180 of 820
Regarding the battery option, I have had a conversation with Philippe Chambon, the "brain" behind the HD DAC, and he wrote me "....what I've noticed with the MPS battery option is that the supply of the digital part, is more sensitive to the implementation of a battery power than the analog part." (translation from French).  

So... If you have the battery option, use it with the digital part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back