NEW Monolith M570 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphone
Aug 17, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #91 of 246
I just got mine in. The packaging is really nice (not that it really matters), and the headphones look and feel like a quality product. They are a little heavy and probably could have used a little more padding on the headband. The ear pads feel nice and the supplied cable seems decent enough to me. As far as sound goes I didn't love them at first listen.

I've been using the Fidelio X2 exclusively for years now so I might just need some ear adjusting, but the M570 definitely seems thinner in the bass and mid-range region with a narrower soundstage. The vocals/mids also have that kind of hollow sound to them like some have said and do seem a little recessed. The treble is the only thing I would say is better than the X2 at first listen. I'll be listening to them for music and gaming over the next couple days to see if I start to like them better.

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #92 of 246
I just got mine in. The packaging is really nice (not that it really matters), and the headphones look and feel like a quality product. They are a little heavy and probably could have used a little more padding on the headband. The ear pads feel nice and the supplied cable seems decent enough to me. As far as sound goes I didn't love them at first listen.

I've been using the Fidelio X2 exclusively for years now so I might just need some ear adjusting, but the M570 definitely seems thinner in the bass and mid-range region with a narrower soundstage. The vocals/mids also have that kind of hollow sound to them like some have said and do seem a little recessed. The treble is the only thing I would say is better than the X2 at first listen. I'll be listening to them for music and gaming over the next couple days to see if I start to like them better.
What Dac and Amplifier are you using?

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #93 of 246
What Dac and Amplifier are you using?

Fiio E11K and a SMSL dac. I'll add that these are very easy to drive. I keep my amp on low gain at half volume, same as the X2. My Razer phone dongle go them sufficiently loud too.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #94 of 246
Fiio E11K and a SMSL dac. I'll add that these are very easy to drive. I keep my amp on low gain at half volume, same as the X2. My Razer phone dongle go them sufficiently loud too.

They do get enough volume from regular sources at their 32ohm rating. However, being planars I find you need a dedicated amp to take them to next level. And the sound profile you describe sounds like they're underpowered for sure. It's not just about general volume.

Even with my old Fiio E12 (and bass boost on) soundstage opens up a lot and you can actually feel that planar bass slam.

With or without a dedicated amp, you should notice an improvement in midbass and reduced treble harshness after 50+hrs burn in.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #96 of 246
Is the he4xx a neutral headphone. I like the planar magnetic feel the low distortion but I want to hear the guitars and instruments more and with more bite
I can do a comparison once my M570 arrives (should come today). Although, if it's "neutral" you want I don't think the 4XX are it. I have yet to hear an actually neutral headphone.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #97 of 246
^ Thanks. For example I got a a pair of dt 880s 600 ohm they are what I think of as neutral it doesn't seem colored to me. The guitars on heavy rock and metal are much more pronounced than on the m570s and they have bite. It sounds more like I think the song should sound. The m570 is very soft and easy on the ears, but I think the mids are recessed. Certainly some parts of the music are held back.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #98 of 246
^ Thanks. For example I got a a pair of dt 880s 600 ohm they are what I think of as neutral it doesn't seem colored to me. The guitars on heavy rock and metal are much more pronounced than on the m570s and they have bite. It sounds more like I think the song should sound. The m570 is very soft and easy on the ears, but I think the mids are recessed. Certainly some parts of the music are held back.

Hmmm... I had a DT 880 250 Ohm years ago and I hated it since I felt it lacked bass based on my taste at the time. I also had buzzing driver issues with it so I sold it. So unfortunately I can't say what's close to that sound with confidence. However, I'm surprised you say the M570 is too soft because my HF-580 with Sendy Aiva pads has lots of midrange bite. I plan on pad rolling my M570 to see how that changes the sound. The only other planar that I have that might have that midrange you are looking for would be my HE-5se with Brainwavz XL Microseude pads. But, just be clear, neither of those are "neutral" at all.

Aug 18, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #99 of 246
Well, I was planning on doing an in-depth comparison between the M570 and HF-580 but there is no point, really, since with the same pads they sound almost identical. The HF-580 MIGHT, ever so slightly, lean colder in tone which could very well because of the plastic vs. wood cups. Or it could just be purely psychological. By the time I'm able to switch headphones moste of the tiny minutia about the sound have disappeared from my mind. The stock M570 pads, despite looking almost the same as the Sendy pads, sound very different, much more v-shaped and sucks a lot of life out of the midrange and adds a nasty spike in the treble. I think most of the negative reviews of the M570 are because of what the stock pads do.

One thing I can say for dead certain though is that the build of the M570 is leagues better than the HF-580, which isn't surprising. It feels more premium than I was expecting and looks very nice in person. The M570 also has way better accessories with a really nice semi-hard zipper case and a classy box. And let's not forget it has a detachable cable! The HF-580 cable is okay but it's too long for my listening setups since I never sit further away than 6 ft from my source and the y-split is too high so it bothers my neck.

I did some sine sweeps and both sets have some resonance around 800hz but I don't feel that it's intrusive enough to affect regular listening.

But with all that being said, it certainly makes the HF-580 look like a great deal at $200 assuming the M570's regular price of $300. Same sound for almost $100 less if you can deal with the cable. Honestly, if Takstar put a detachable cable on it there would be pretty much no reason to get any of the other variants save for aesthetic reasons.

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #101 of 246
The m570 is currently 217 cad on amazon.ca which makes it the cheaper headphone right now.
Yes, and after you figure shipping costs the US Amazon M570 ($199) is also cheaper than the HF-580 ($218 incl. S&H) but there are usually coupons floating around on the 580 thread for it ($10-$30) so it's about the same all told. I also don't think the M570 price cut is permanent since Monoprice website still lists it for $300. And we probably won't see the M570 back down the this price any time soon, if ever. For instance, I was able to pick up an M565 a few years ago for $75. I've never seen it anywhere close to that cheap since. So yes, right now, there is no reason to buy a HF-580 when you can get a M570 for roughly the same price, which is why I said "the M570's regular price of $300."

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #102 of 246
They do get enough volume from regular sources at their 32ohm rating. However, being planars I find you need a dedicated amp to take them to next level. And the sound profile you describe sounds like they're underpowered for sure. It's not just about general volume.

Even with my old Fiio E12 (and bass boost on) soundstage opens up a lot and you can actually feel that planar bass slam.

With or without a dedicated amp, you should notice an improvement in midbass and reduced treble harshness after 50+hrs burn in.

I've tried them with high gain on and they're just too loud for me to listen to. I've seen people with much better equipment then me describe them the same way also. I have thought about buying a better desktop amp/dac but the absolute most I would spend is $150.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #103 of 246
So I have been listening non stop since I got them. Put in a order for Sendy pads. Figured I would try them out. Couldn't find a way to get stock replacement pads anywhere. I have found that on some songs the sound is great. On others it's just ok or slightly annoying. So it appears they are very revealing to how the track was mastered. Some headphones can mask a bad recording. One negative is they are loose on my head. I have an average or larger than average head. Anyone else have this issue? I feel like I can shake them off my head if I tried. Better that then too much clamp force, but is something I noticed. May add in some nuggets or pad on the top. Still not the biggest fan of the headband. They could also go on a diet and lose some weight, but at $200 they are a steal. I was actually contemplating getting a second pair, but with all the choices we have today I figured if/when they die I will try another model.

Summary:
If you have a great recorded track they are a treat to my ears. Which is what I want in a headphone. Pure bliss just sitting back, turning up the volume to the right level, and closing my eyes enjoying my favorite music. Almost fell asleep in my chair last night I was so comfortable and relaxed (Headrest is key).

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #104 of 246
So I have been listening non stop since I got them. Put in a order for Sendy pads. Figured I would try them out. Couldn't find a way to get stock replacement pads anywhere. I have found that on some songs the sound is great. On others it's just ok or slightly annoying. So it appears they are very revealing to how the track was mastered. Some headphones can mask a bad recording. One negative is they are loose on my head. I have an average or larger than average head. Anyone else have this issue? I feel like I can shake them off my head if I tried. Better that then too much clamp force, but is something I noticed. May add in some nuggets or pad on the top. Still not the biggest fan of the headband. They could also go on a diet and lose some weight, but at $200 they are a steal. I was actually contemplating getting a second pair, but with all the choices we have today I figured if/when they die I will try another model.

Summary:
If you have a great recorded track they are a treat to my ears. Which is what I want in a headphone. Pure bliss just sitting back, turning up the volume to the right level, and closing my eyes enjoying my favorite music. Almost fell asleep in my chair last night I was so comfortable and relaxed (Headrest is key).

The Sendy pads change the sound quite a bit, way more than I was expecting given the visual similarities to the stock pads, with most notably making the midrange more forward and detailed but it might remove some of that laid back nature that you like. But they do improve the tonality and smooth out the the frequency response's dips and peaks (at least it sounds like it does to my ears, I don't have a measurement rig). I will be interested to hear your thoughts once you get them.

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #105 of 246
I got my pair yesterday and used them for a couple of hours at the end of the day. Out of the box they were HORRIBLE! 80% of the mids were on the right, there was NO bass and the vocals were muffled. I assumed they were a defective set, but I thought “Give them a shot”. After an hour or two the sound started to smooth out. Balanced leveled out and some bass started to flow. Vocals became much clearer and thing started flowing.

At this point I would like to comment on the cable. Perfect length for me and it is nice and soft. My first headphone with 2.5mm connectors. Wow they are small and flimsy looking. Doesn’t inspire long term confidence. And Wow, does it take some force to plug into those cups. You will hear a loud click when they are inserted properly.

On to lots of testing today. First couple of hours were spent on my tube amp.
Chain was Sony DAP (NW-ZX300) to SMSL SU-8 DAC to Schiit Loki EQ to MAD Ear+ HDII tube amp. Sounded very nice. Not much bass with the tube amp which is why I add the Loki. Mids seem just a little bit recessed. Don’t notice anything in the highs and certainly no ringing. The bass is soft. You occasionally hear it, but you have listen for it.
Nice overall, but unexceptional. SUPER CHEAP though. My landed cost was $249.00, with 15% sales tax, in Canuck bucks (about 190 in US$'s).
I then moved them to my Violectric V220 solid state amp, with no EQ. This amp gives every headphone a bass boost. Except for these. On a really bassy track you will notice it, but for the most part you won’t.

I wasn’t sure if I was getting all the sound I was supposed to? I seem to need to play these louder. I love that the V220 amp plays two headphones at once. I plugged in my Grado GH2’s and spent quite a while volume matching. I did not change any pre-gain settings. To keep them pretty even (69-74Db’s through the song), the volume settings ended up at 9:10 (Grado) and 9:35 for the M570. I know this test is in NO way scientific, but it settled something for me. Playing the same songs over and over, I had the same result: At the same volume, the Grado’s put out much more detail. Vocals were more prominent and easier to make out (I know that is a strength of Grado’s).

After about ten hours use, my feelings are:
These are NOT junk.
These are NOT detail monsters.
These are NOT bass monsters.
These ARE very comfortable, IMO.
These ARE very attractive, IMO.
These ARE very cheap.

I will make on a decison on whether to keep them this weekend. They are not fighting to get into the collection. Nice headphone at a Great price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back