NEW Monolith M570 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphone
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #76 of 246
Judging by the top banner, Rakuten USA is shutting down operations, so they're clearing stock as fast as they can... great deal!

Almost tempting enough for me to import to Australia, but it's still a 50% premium for me compared to the Takstar once you factor in shipping costs and taxes.
I don't think that banner was there when I placed my order but that's a shame. I've gotten several good deals from them over the years. Most notably I was able to snag a DT1990 for $330 from them a couple of years ago.

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #77 of 246
I don't think that banner was there when I placed my order but that's a shame. I've gotten several good deals from them over the years. Most notably I was able to snag a DT1990 for $330 from them a couple of years ago.
I doubt it's a permanent thing, maybe standing down some workers or downsizing, or they could just be moving to a new location.

EDIT: Nope, they're shutting down.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #78 of 246
The $199 deal is now on Amazon as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Magnetic-Headphone-Headband-Earcups/dp/B07YX7K4CP

Looking forward to your thoughts on this versus the HF-580 @theangelboy as this puts it at only slightly more than the imported price for me, but with accessible warranty support. Now to discover if wood cups improve the resonance issues enough to be worth it versus a DIY solution.

I suspect the lower-to-mid treble will be blunted, which isn't a great start for what's already a dark signature.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #79 of 246
The $199 deal is now on Amazon as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Magnetic-Headphone-Headband-Earcups/dp/B07YX7K4CP

Looking forward to your thoughts on this versus the HF-580 @theangelboy as this puts it at only slightly more than the imported price for me, but with accessible warranty support. Now to discover if wood cups improve the resonance issues enough to be worth it versus a DIY solution.

I suspect the lower-to-mid treble will be blunted, which isn't a great start for what's already a dark signature.
Yes, I plan to do a pretty in depth comparison between the two. I also plan on swapping pads around to see how much, if any, difference there is between the sendy pads I have on my HF-580 and the stock M570 ones.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #81 of 246
There are no ringing issues for me. Don't believe everything you read.

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #83 of 246
I haven't noticed any ringing. I was gonna send them back because they didn't sound too good on metal music, but compared to what I have with the x40 the clarity and detail is too much to pass up. I don't know if burn in is a real thing or not, but they do seem to have improved quite a bit for listening to metal music. I use them to play guitar through as well, they didn't sound as good as audiotechnica x40s for metal but I was able to fix that problem by adjusting my settings, lol, and they are so much easier on my ears.

I still got a few days left where I can send back which I'm still thinking of doing since the price is 30$ cheaper now than what I paid for em, and then ordering them again at the lower price. You would think amazon would have price protection to prevent that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #84 of 246
I haven't noticed any ringing. I was gonna send them back because they didn't sound to good on metal music, but compared to what I have the clarity and detail is too much too pass up. I don't know if burn in is a real thing or not, but they do seem to have improved quite a bit for listening to metal music. I use them to play guitar through as well, they didn't sound as good as audiotechnica x40s for metal but I was able to fix that problem by adjusting my settings, lol, and they are no much easier on my ears.

I still got a few days left where I can send back which I'm still thinking of doing since the price is 30$ cheaper now than what I paid for em, and then ordering them again at the lower price. You would think amazon would have price protection to prevent that kind of thing.

I've noticed a difference with burn in as well. Much less harsh treble, most significantly. And more pronounced mid-bass on flat (no) eq.

Aug 15, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #85 of 246
Bought a pair to try out from Amazon. Be here tomorrow. For $200 I think they are a steal for a Sendy clone. Tried the Sviga PII's and liked them, but they were $400. At the time I was more frugal and thought that was expensive. How times have changed in only a few months. At current price if they are close to the PII's, I will be happy I saved $200.

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #86 of 246
I'm comparing them to the dt 880 600 ohm now. The Dt 880 sounds better on metal, but the m570 sounds like a better quality headphone if that makes any sense. I guess the mids are a bit recessed on the M570. I would like to get a similar headphone that is neutral for mixing and studio usage.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #87 of 246
I'm comparing them to the dt 880 600 ohm now. The Dt 880 sounds better on metal, but the m570 sounds like a better quality headphone if that makes any sense. I guess the mids are a bit recessed on the M570. I would like to get a similar headphone that is neutral for mixing and studio usage.
The BLON B20 probably does a better job of delivering a neutral signature with the same driver, but all of these variants seem to have a fairly dark or somewhat hot treble depending on how they've opted to tune things.

I would have thought the M570 is fairly similar to the BLON though.

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #88 of 246
I'm thinking of going for the sedara Hifi man I heard that is a studio phone. The dt 880 is great except mine is faulty the left ear is noticeably louder than the right. I tested it by moving the volume from right to left and listening with the phones off my head and the left is almost twice as loud. I guess they will have to go back. It sucks because amazon doesn't give replacements and the price is way higher now.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #89 of 246
I'm thinking of going for the sedara Hifi man I heard that is a studio phone. The dt 880 is great except mine is faulty the left ear is noticeably louder than the right. I tested it by moving the volume from right to left and listening with the phones off my head and the left is almost twice as loud. I guess they will have to go back. It sucks because amazon doesn't give replacements and the price is way higher now.
The Sundara is not a studio headphone. It is a great sounding Audiophile HP that performs great for it's price. If you want a true studio HP look at DT 1990 or Ollo S4. Really any HP can be used if you know how the sound is presented. If it has more bass mid or treble you will need to adjust your recording so it's not overdone in that area. This is why studio HP should be flat and a true representation of the music so you can fine tune everything. I am not a recording engineer, but that is what I have learned from reading.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #90 of 246
So the M570's arrived today. Only spent the last hour listening. Will continue burning them in, but they are a nice set of cans. Love the side grills. Not a huge fan of the headband. Sound is slightly treble forward and bass seems slightly thin. Super clear and clean though. Still holding my review till they are burned in and I have time to evaluate. Like most planar's they come alive with power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back