New Model - Cowon Plenue J
Jul 26, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #62 of 81
New Firmware 1.10 is here :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=609

Warning/Caution:-

• The battery must be fully charged before firmware upgrade.
  • Do not reset PLENUE J during firmware upgrade.
  • Backup any important files in PLENUE J to your PC before firmware upgrade.
  • Please use firmware that COWON authorizes only.
  • JetEffect values might be initialized after firmware upgrade. Please record any important values.

New features:-

• Playback Speed Control Function
  • Hearing Protection Settings (Settings/System/Hearing Protection) *
  • Support album image file cover.png
  • Browser search performance upgrade
  • FLAC file compatibility upgrade
  • User Interface (UI) alteration
  • Initialization of volume value when 'returned to basic set-up'
  • Booting Speed upgrade
  • Changed to playing next song when playback error occurs.

* This is a function used to set the function ON/OFF on whether to reset the volume when earphones are
removed from the device for hearing protection. This HEARING PROTECTION SETTING is only possible
when the country is set to countries other than EU countries.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #63 of 81
So listen guys. I got some problems with my Plenue J, specificly regarding the headphpne jack. It's started to almost not work, it's just buzzsounds, if I twist and turn the cable for the headphone in a certain angle the sound works, But only in that specific spot. Now, I have tryed 3 different headphones: 2 over ear and 1 in ear, and it's the same on all 3.
The problems came out of nowhere yestersay after a gym session in wich I've had my player in one of theese
belkin_easefit_sport_armband_iphone4-15660426-p.jpg
sorry for the size.
One other thing, Iv'e bought it second hand (all though in mint condition) of eBay, so there isn't any warranty to rely on sadly. I've tryed easly cleaning the jack with a rubberised toothpick, did not help. What nore can I do? Is there any other service/repair shop I can turn to? I found this one wich I believe is certified? https://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/info/Cowon_UK_Repair_Centre.57.html ?
What would you recommend me do in this case?
Thanks,

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #64 of 81
i had this and sold it to buy the Plenue D. perfectly happy with the player but the battery life is nowhere near the approximations given by Cowon. and this was a big deal so it was pretty dissapointing. when they say 30-50 hours it's more like 10 and that was with almost zero screen-on time playing lossy files. the D while a bit bulkier is much better in this regard, really happy with it.

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #65 of 81
i had this and sold it to buy the Plenue D. perfectly happy with the player but the battery life is nowhere near the approximations given by Cowon. and this was a big deal so it was pretty dissapointing. when they say 30-50 hours it's more like 10 and that was with almost zero screen-on time playing lossy files. the D while a bit bulkier is much better in this regard, really happy with it.

Is there any difference in sound quality? Which one is better?

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #67 of 81
So, I have an amazing journey already with buying an listen to several DAPs :wink: and from having the beasts of SR15, ZX300, NW-A105 and so on, I ended up with this little gem now. What a (realitively cheap) treasure! Beautifull guys (and girls). I mean, it is that I have easy-to-drive in-ears, but this thing is singing!

EDIT; I was really satisfied. But quility let me down (again). What the ... Had also issues with the R2.. damn. Sorry, but going back to Sony (or AstellnKern).

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #68 of 81
New Firmware V1.11 is on :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=641

Warning/Caution

• JetEffect values might be initialized after firmware upgrade. Please record any important values.

New features

1. Supports PLS/CUE play list.
  2. Improved FLAC file compatibility.
  3. Improved ID3 Tag compatibility.
  4. Fixed recognition error of specific browser album names.
  5. Fixed specific WAV file playback error.
  6. Fixed time setting error.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #70 of 81
:warning: New Firmware 1.12 is on :- :warning:

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=643

:arrow_right: Scroll down on link for installation instructions

Warning/Caution

New features

1. Fixed autoboot when power is connected.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #72 of 81
I got this thing about a month ago and love it. I am a noob audiophile, most of my songs are .mp3 and .m4a and I listen to lots of dubstep and rap but also like jazz, classical, gypsy music, pirate music, and tons more. Am expanding my collection constantly and plan to move up to high quality audio once I figure out how.

I had issues with the first one I got but I think it was my fault and got a replacement through Amazon. It sounds amazing, way better than my old Fiio X3ii and any phone or laptop I've used. EQ is amazing, makes a huge difference and gives bass that I've never felt in headphones (I have Audio Technica ATH-A990Z, they sound great with this). UI is also nice and easy to use, screen isn't as laggy as I expected (I have ~6,000 songs).

I do however have a few complaints, all hopefully will be fixed with future firmware:

1. Player does not seem to show .wav tags. I have them in the library on my computer (Mediamonkey) but they do not show on player, just filename.
  2. Can not handle large playlists. I love that I synced with Mediamonkey and got most of my playlists, but it seems it can't handle big ones. Playlists are one of my main organization techniques so I need this.
  3. Artwork - this may be my own fault I don't understand how it works. I have many non-album songs with artwork saved and tagged in mediamonkey but it does not display on the player. The player displays artwork for some albums (not all) but no individual songs. Anyone able to help here?
The player does have a cool feature that it has a selection of default artworks that it assigns to songs without, they sometimes seem to match the song I wonder if there's something at work there. Cool but I love my artworks and would love to see them on the player!

Overall it is a great device and satisfies my needs completely. Great build quality, very solid aux port which is a frequent complaint of mine. Battery life is close to 8 hours of playing too if you're not on the screen too much and that is playing mostly mp3/m4a. UI and screen are great, I love that I can see the screen with sunglasses on (can't with my phone or laptop). I have not had to use an SD card yet as I have just under 55GB of music so can fit on internal but I have one ready for when I need it and will let you all know if I have any issues. I bought the case and screen protector too which are nice and plan to use this device for a long time. Very impressed as I was ready to spend over $300, this device is great value for the money as far as I can tell. I don't know how the sound compares to more expensive players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back