New Model - Cowon Plenue J
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #31 of 81
What about sound quality? Compared to plenue D or other players in similar price category?

Don't have the Plenue D anymore so cannot make a direct comparison.
SNR is comparably good, from memory. The Plenue J is definitely among the rather quiet DAPs when it comes to hiss with extremely sensitive IEMs - not as perfect as the Plenue 2 or iBasso DX90, but still good.
Sound is subjectively more on the smoother side. Definitely perceived as more "impactful" and smoother compared to the DX90. Staging not as wide as the DX90 but deeper and therefore more circular. Transparency with sensitive, well-resolving in-ears about on the same level, but as mentioned different in presentation (DX90 slightly more clinical, Plenue J a little smoother).
Low output impedance confirmed. Also no bass roll-off with low impedance loads.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #32 of 81
Based on specs, i would say its an updgrade from Plenue D. Pit against Fiio X3 iii and sony A45 maybe

It's not exactly an upgrade if the battery life is half the size of the d. But yeah internal battery more.

Does anyone know if they made the search function on it like the plenue m? Super fast? Instead of like the cowon m2 (not plenue) slow like it is on the d?

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #34 of 81
Nevermind, the search is still slow :/. If the search was fast like the other Plenue, I would have bought it. Or even if they put them lights on it! The level display meters! I love them old school thingy ma jigs! Lol.

The amount of times I've gone back and forth from the Plenue D to the M and then another M and then back to the D, jeeeeeeez lol.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #35 of 81
Does anyone know if they made the search function on it like the plenue m? Super fast? Instead of like the cowon m2 (not plenue) slow like it is on the d?

The keyboard reacts instantly, but the moment you click "search", it will run through all of the files, so no, the search process itself is not super fast/instant but takes some seconds, depending on how many files you have on the player and micro SD card.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #36 of 81
The keyboard reacts instantly, but the moment you click "search", it will run through all of the files, so no, the search process itself is not super fast/instant but takes some seconds, depending on how many files you have on the player and micro SD card.

Yup, I saw in your video, thank you. My 32gb on the D is full and then got a 128gb ext card in which is half full. I got like over 14,000 files on it from the last time that I remember lol.

By the way, how many playlists can you add on it? The D is restricted to 10 but the Plenue M was unlimited.

Also, why doesn't Cowon add the level display meters!! The rest of the Plenues have them, so why not the D or J now??? I don't get it :/.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #37 of 81
By the way, how many playlists can you add on it? The D is restricted to 10 but the Plenue M was unlimited.

Limited to 10 "favourite" playlists (that star icon playlist tab) that can be managed on the player. Four configurable JetEffect pre-sets.
I think that you can however load your own playlist files on the J, since there is a separate "playlist" tab in the library (last tab to the right), if you create them on a computer. Not 100% sure about that though.

Also, why doesn't Cowon add the level display meters!! The rest of the Plenues have them, so why not the D or J now??? I don't get it :/.

My guess: probably an artificial limitation to set it apart from the other models (such as the number of volume adjustment steps), or probably they thought the screen isn't big enough for that. Or maybe not enough processing power for dynamic level meters and Hi-Res playback at the same time, so they didn't add the meters.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #38 of 81
Limited to 10 "favourite" playlists (that star icon playlist tab) that can be managed on the player. Four configurable JetEffect pre-sets.
I think that you can however load your own playlist files on the J, since there is a separate "playlist" tab in the library (last tab to the right), if you create them on a computer. Not 100% sure about that though.

Ah right, thank you for letting me know.

My guess: probably an artificial limitation to set it apart from the other models (such as the number of volume adjustment steps), or probably they thought the screen isn't big enough for that. Or maybe not enough processing power for dynamic level meters and Hi-Res playback at the same time, so they didn't add the meters.

Could be to set it apart but I want them lights! Lol. Agree about the vol. I thought about the screen but then I remembered my iAudio 7 and they fitted them on that with 53hours playback or something like this so I'm sure they could do it on the J and even the D. Could be not enough processing power but I just hope they do it for the D and J somehow! I miss them lol.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #39 of 81
Advancedmp3players in the UK now have their product listing up, here for £239 (approx. €270. The price includes 20% sales tax that applies in UK.

I think I'm going to end my interest in the J at this point...

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #42 of 81
I would have ordered it if it had the level display meters! If you are reading this Cowon, update the Plenue D or J with them equalisers! They are awesome and soooo old school! Lol.

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #45 of 81
Hi guys, new here in Head Fi, at the beginning of my journey to the world of hifi. Got the Plenue J mainly because I heard it’s a Plenue D in a slim profile, which is important for me. Been using it for 2 weeks now and enjoying it so far.

I mostly listen to vocals and jazz and a bit of rock, and I’d like to share the eq settings that works for me:

EQ:
80Hz +2 Wide
220Hz -1 Wide
1.1kHz 0 Wide
4.1kHz +2 Wide
11.7kHz +1 Wide

BBE = 5 (or 4)
Mach3Bass = 2
3D Surround = 1
MP Enhance = ON
Reverb = OFF

Oh, and happy holidays to all