New mini next week?
Feb 23, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
So why is that you come with your snarky "I know I can't wait for the big news" to this thread?

Lets clear this up. you and me saw that statement as sarcastic correct? I dont think Jmmm saw it as that, hence his reply to me when i called him out when he said that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
??
What are you talking about?

Jmmmm were you being sarcastic?...it really looks like you were. if you were, just appologize and be done with this stuff.

Feb 23, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
And just how IstariAsuka, does that advance the topic at hand (which, if you've forgotten, is about a new iPod Mini)?

It was meant to be a semi-witty response to the member who mentioned old console wars. Jeez, don't take me so seriously.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Do you really think Apple just 'missed the ball' on this one? I don't. Just because it doesn't provide what *you* want doesn't mean it's not a darn useful device for a lot of people for whom it meets_their_needs. A device this small is in no way hindered by lack of a radio or a replaceable battery.

We weren't talking about whether or not it meets people's needs, but whether or not Apple players are technologically behind the curve.

And FYI, a self-databasing player is a player that has drag/drop capabilites (ie. MSC), that also constructs its database that way--no external program required. Most MSC HDD DAPs require you to still put your music on the player with a software program, because that software tells the player what to put in the database and what not to. These do it all themselves, no software required to do anything.

Quote:

Most of your above points come down to personal preference, not Apple being "behind the curve." Some of the little things in the menu are a pain. I disagree about the scroll-wheel though, I find that I can control its speed very accurately and find anything in seconds.

If people are allowed to say that apple is "ahead of the pack" based on their usability, which is personal preference, then why I am not allowed to say they're behind the curve for the same reasons?

Anyways, I know those parts are not technological, just GUI implimentations, but since it was an iPod thread I figured I'd see what types of responses I'd get. No harm intended, eh?

Quote:

It's fine if you like a different player better, but it's irritating that it's becoming fashionable on hi-end audio boards to consider ipod users dupes who have fallen prey to slick advertising. Believe me, I'm usually the first to point out when mass-market products are really just cheap knock-offs with a slick marketing campaign. But the ipod has succeeded because it's a really well designed device, that happens to have a slick marketing campaign attached to it.

I don't consider those who buy them and are informed dupes. Obviously you're not a dupe if you did research and picked the iPod. In fact, I think the iPod is the 2nd best full-sized DAP. That doesn't mean I can't criticize it?

If you want, I can rattle of a list of Karma problems and GUI issues too.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Lets clear this up. you and me saw that statement as sarcastic correct?

Yep. I didn't think Jmmmmm had woken up this morning to suddenly find himself an iPod mini fan. We can always hope though.
orphsmile.gif

At any rate, he doesn't need to extend an apology. However, I wouldn't mind if he stopped with the attacks ad hominem.

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #50 of 54
Quote:

So why is that you come with your snarky "I know I can't wait for the big news" to this thread? And why is that anyone who strongly advocates a player, particularly an iPod, is a "close-minded idiot"? Is it not possible for people to come to well thought out positions of advocacy? I don't insult others for owning or advocating a particular DAP. I even enter these discussions under the assumption that most folks here aren't idiots and the choices that they've made were perhaps the right choices for THEM, though they may not be the right choices for ME.

1. I'm sick of apple fanboy-ism, that's why. It gets old.
2. I wasn't talking to you in my paragraph. It wasn't a passive agressive statement, I was actually talking.
3. Anyone who advocates a player isn't closed-minded. Anyone who only advocates a single player blindly and independently of what the poster actually wants is. It has nothing to do with apple or any other specific company. I have no problem with the ipod. I actually like the ipod, and was very very close to buying one before. Don't try to act like I hate it. Unfortunately (for you), I don't think the ipod is the best DAP for everyone in every circumstance.
4. about the THEM and ME thing..you do? doesn't seem like it to me.

Quote:

P.S. What's with your advocacy of the Karma at every opportunity? Is this just a case of the pot calling the kettle black? Feel free to advocate the Karma, but don't begrudge iPod advocates the same freedom.

1. First, I have yet to see you advocate Any player other than an ipod.
2. lol. Are you serious? Go through my posts, I guarantee I have told people to get something other than a karma ten times more than I have suggested a karma. Actually, please do, I'm interested. I'd bet it goes: iriver->creative->iaudio->rio and apple (tied). I actually don't get offended when someone doesn't want a karma. I actually think there are times when a karma isnt the best option for someone. Can you say the same about the ipod? Because it's true, whether you want to believe it or not. See, people either buy something and then convince themselves its the best thing out there, and then try to convince others the same thing, OR people do research, find what they think is the best thing, and then buy it. I did the latter; I found what I think is the best player, and then I bought it. When I advocate it, it's not because I have one, it's because I have learned how good it really is. My recommendations have nothing to do with my ownership.

Let's all just be one big happy huggy family.

[size=x-small]Revised to reduce harshness.[/size]

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by josimcy
I have a question about this Update: When Apple introduces the new Mini, does this mean that it will go on sale the same day?

Generally it would be available the same day at the Apple online store. It doesn't mean you'll get your hands on one though (at least one that will ship to you immediately). They often start the ball rolling with a limited supply and you have to be quick.

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #52 of 54
SNES Owned.

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
1. I'm sick of apple fanboy-ism, that's why. It gets old.
2. I wasn't talking to you in my paragraph. It wasn't a passive agressive statement, I was actually talking.
3. Anyone who advocates a player isn't closed-minded. Anyone who only advocates a single player blindly and independently of what the poster actually wants is.

So what does that have to do with this thread?

Quote:

4. about the THEM and ME thing..you do? doesn't seem like it to me.

When I advocate the iPod to someone I do try to qualify my advocacy with statements like, "If you don't need a screen," or "If you're going for good sound with an amp and not directly from the headphone jack." Of course I'm going to post more and advocate the iPod more than any other DAP. It's the DAP that I chose, and it's the one that I'm most familiar with. I don't expect anyone else to act any different with respect to their preferred DAPs. Advocacy is a good thing and it demonstrates people do like the DAPs that they chose, but what I try not to do is to cross the line and start attacking people because they advocate this DAP or that.

Quote:

1. First, I have yet to see you advocate Any player other than an ipod.

I see. It's my obligation to give other players equal time. I don't buy that. I'm here because I love my iPod and I think I can provide useful information on the iPod, as well as learn about the iPod, other DAPs, and other audio gear. There are plenty of folks who can provide a different perspective, as you do with respect to Karma and iRiver. So why is it skin off your nose that I'm such a big iPod and Apple fan? After all, I back that up with explanations, facts, and logic, while some here are merely content to call names and smear iPod fans with the same broad brush.

Quote:

I actually think there are times when a karma isnt the best option for someone. Can you say the same about the ipod?

Absolutely. I've said that people who want a screen or like to listen to whole albums should consider other players than the iPod shuffle. Moreover, I've said that the regular iPod has problems with bass roll-off with low impedance headphones and so the iPod might not be right for bass-lovers who won't be using an external amp.

Quote:

When I advocate it, it's not because I have one, it's because I have learned how good it really is. My recommendations have nothing to do with my ownership.

That's how I learned the iPod is really good. By owning it and using it. I don't need to hear that I might be an idiot for buying one or for liking it enough to advocate for it.

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #54 of 54
....soooo....hows the weather?......

*desperately trying to lighten mood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back