New mini next week?
Feb 18, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

the mini is still going to be a loser IMO, the SQ on the H10, carbon, and micro are still better. The design of the micro and H10 are pretty darn good and you just cant copy the circle ipod navi, the carbon could use some work though.

The design of the H10 might be nice enough, but the player has some odd, and imo, deal-breaker flaws. The fact that it will not (unless you do a lot of tag or playlist manipulation) play songs in the order of the album is quite dumb. Also, from what i've read, the processor is often slow and the busy symbol comes up quite often. This is a product for convenience and enjoyment, those things detract from the product's purpose.

Feb 18, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

and you know air bags, power windows, and cruise control suck too so I'm sticking with my 77 Plymouth Duster cause it's got a Hemi

Better believe I'd drive the hemi today. Family friend's Dad has a 69 Hemi Roadrunner. Such a beast...

Feb 18, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchman
The credit goes to Synaptics. Apple did nothing beyond hire them. There's an article about it somewhere but long story short...

Apple hired Synaptics to look at a target market and find out what they wanted. Synaptics assigned a team who went to college campuses etc and found that a flat wheel design would be awesome. They made the product and sold it to Apple. I did a quick patent search and I couldn't find anything relating to the actual design of the wheel, only tagentialy technologies like power management and interpreting the received data.

Like I've said before, the iPod is not a technological marvel. Apple designed the UI, and marketed it. That's pretty much it.

And of course, as we all know, things that are better technologically always sell better. /sarcasm

cool, i'd like to read that article you mention... now if i can find it somewhere...

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #19 of 54
im pretty sure that apple has a pattent on the circle wheel naviagtion thing. if someone makes a DAP rip off of an ipod they always get their asses sued for the wheel, not the white with chrome backing.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

The credit goes to Synaptics. Apple did nothing beyond hire them. There's an article about it somewhere but long story short...

Apple hired Synaptics to look at a target market and find out what they wanted. Synaptics assigned a team who went to college campuses etc and found that a flat wheel design would be awesome. They made the product and sold it to Apple. I did a quick patent search and I couldn't find anything relating to the actual design of the wheel, only tagentialy technologies like power management and interpreting the received data.

Like I've said before, the iPod is not a technological marvel. Apple designed the UI, and marketed it. That's pretty much it.

And of course, as we all know, things that are better technologically always sell better. /sarcasm

How about Apple gets the credit for macro-managing? No one else seems to have done as well.

Am I wrong to assume this will just be a hard drive upgrade like the 3g 15gb/20gb?

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxsnowboard
Here is an interesting article about the iPods Scrolweel, How It has advanced all the way since 1G to 4G an also how Creative's Zen Touch's (and probably micro's) touch strip was also done by synaptics. Take a peek:

http://www.mp3.com/story/feature_ipod_wheel.html

etysmile.gif

Very interesting article. I've wondered, at times, what it looks like under that click wheel.

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamius
omeone correct me if i'm wrong, but i dunno how credible Apple is with the design of the scroll wheel. in fact, i'm beginning to seriously question it. Synaptics creates all TouchPad technology for everything... they designed Apples scroll wheel and the credit goes to them... i'd almost say that Apple kinda got lucky scoring that design.

Actually as some might remember the 1G had the original physical scroll wheel. The 2G is where Synaptics and the touchpad came into the equation.

Quote:

Did you actually read the article or just formulate what you wanted from it?

Here are some quotes from the article http://www.mp3.com/story/feature_ipod_wheel.html

"To the right is the original scrollwheel, designed by Apple, which physically rotated and was not touch-sensitive."

"After the first iPod caught on, Apple started thinking of ways to improve it. Here's where Synaptics comes into the equation. The company had already worked with Apple on its iBooks, and so when Apple was looking for a way to make the iPod thinner and lighter, it elected to try out a touch-sensitive design from Synaptics."

"I discovered that a company called Synaptics, which primarily makes touchpads for laptops, actually perfected this little piece of navigational heaven, in accordance with Apple's stringent design requirements."

Apple designed the scroll wheel and has the patent on it. They contracted Synaptics to design them a touch based one based on their original design. No one had done a circular trackpad, so Synaptics designed it based on Apple's requirements. Also let us not forget that Apple had the first trackpad on any notebook, but i'm not sure if they designed the technology or were just the first to use it.

Feb 22, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
The latest rumors, including some speculations on pricing. Is Wednesday the day?

i know i cant wait for the big news.

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
i know i cant wait for the big news.

I've heard the Chairman of Creative has been waking up in a cold sweat every night for the past week.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
I've heard the Chairman of Creative has been waking up in a cold sweat every night for the past week.

are we done with this creavite vs. apple sh!t yet? they make two products for completely different buyers leave it at that. Jmmm lay off man it is a thread about mini's dont be expecting anything about other players. yyoo, i get that you have to defend your mini and apple but firing back isnt going to do anything. im sick and tired of these little bouts between apple and every other company out there. Apple does somethings good and some things poorly and the same is true for every other company on the face of the earth. thats right yyoo even microsoft.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
are we done with this creavite vs. apple sh!t yet? they make two products for completely different buyers leave it at that. Jmmm lay off man it is a thread about mini's dont be expecting anything about other players. yyoo, i get that you have to defend your mini and apple but firing back isnt going to do anything. im sick and tired of these little bouts between apple and every other company out there. Apple does somethings good and some things poorly and the same is true for every other company on the face of the earth. thats right yyoo even microsoft.
rolleyes.gif

Microsoft doing something wrong? Get out...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #30 of 54
Just because Apple is behind the curve as far as technology is concerned, it still doesn't mean they won't sell products successfully.

I mean, just look at how well the Shuffle is selling.
rolleyes.gif

Apple is pure marketing genius.

It's like selling chocolate chip cookies without chocolate chips. If anyone can do it, Apple can.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back