New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
Oct 8, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #136 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are nuts! (j/k)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/min...up-buy-368133/
wink.gif

However, it was not directly linked on this thread and probably should have been.

Yeah, I missed that...... haven't had the time to browse outside my subscription page, and expected the link to be posted here in this thread.

In any case, I'm already in for two and would love for the minimum buy to be hit. I'm definitely up for some solder slinging, but the casework can go jump in a lake!
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #138 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by ishtob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in a board too, can you hold one for me?

Boards will ship to me on the 15th. They'll be available at the regular outlet for Millett MAX parts.

Thanks for the comments and interest in the MiniMAX case, guys. However, I can't make an official post about it (take a look at the title and the first post in this thread). I'm sorry, but that's the environment that Colin and I work in - and it's not limited to just this forum, either. If I had drawn a sketch on the back of a napkin, nobody would care. As it is, some must think we're Sony.
redface.gif

AFAIK, the rest of you can post whatever, however.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #139 of 1,948
Millett Hybrid MiniMAX Custom Machined Enclosure

Group-Buy

tomb has kick-started a group buy for a fantastic custom machined enclosure what will allow unparallel integration for anyone building a MiniMAX. The case is based on the Lansing DT1 enclosure, but altered to include tube holes, cooling slots on top, bottom, and both sides, with punched and silkscreened endplates.

Renderings

Case design drawings (Links below, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader):
http://www.diyforums.org/MiniMAX/cas...-M001-Rev3.pdf
http://www.diyforums.org/MiniMAX/cas...-M002-Rev3.pdf
http://www.diyforums.org/MiniMAX/cas...-M003-Rev3.pdf
http://www.diyforums.org/MiniMAX/cas...-M004-Rev3.pdf

3D renderings (Links below, requires adobe Acrobat Reader latest version):
http://www.diyforums.org/MiniMAX/cas...-M005-Rev4.pdf
http://www.diyforums.org/MiniMAX/cas...-M006-Rev1.pdf

[size=medium]Price (estimate): $55 (Black or Silver)[/size]

The Group Buy goal is 100 cases, 51 already in, please joi[size=x-small]n![/size][size=x-small] Group Buy ending at 11:59PM Saturday, October 18, 2008[/size]

More details and information on how take part in this Group-Buy can be found at Headwize and DIYForums where the Group-Buys are held.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #141 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayshungry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried HD650s with the Minimax? I'm looking for a project to build and the prefinished case is drawing me to this. Thanks.

Check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/new...ed-amp-233941/

Since the MiniMax is a repackaging of the Millett Hybrid Maxed into a more compact format, the info in this thread regarding the HD650s should apply. I have two Maxes and they are awsome with the Senns!
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #142 of 1,948
I've added a line that tracks the estimated cost of the case in the Group Buys, depending on the number we have pledged so far.

These are the costs that add into the overall price:
  1. Tooling and Setup Charges
    ........This price is a total and is fixed, regardless of the number of cases. However, the greater the number of cases, the more this cost is reduced per case.
  2. Unfinished Case Price
    ........ We receive almost a 1/3 discount on the regular price per case. The amount of discount varies with the number we buy, with the discount increasing as the quantity increases (up to 250).
  3. Machining the extruded tube (body), punching and silkscreening the endplates
    ........ This is the greatest cost per case, and does not change per case, regardless of how many we order.
  4. Shipping
    ........ This must be taken into account. There is a shipping cost to me, then from me to the purchaser.

Currently the price is $58.89 per case at 46 cases, without including shipping costs. I haven't counted the silver vs. black ratio, either. The silkscreen charges for each color is a $50 minimum. This works out to about 31 cases of each before incurring an additional charge.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #143 of 1,948
Very nice tomb, it's good to have that updated figure as numbers change!

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #144 of 1,948
Oct 13, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #145 of 1,948
Hi tomb,

Don't want to pull you off task too much, but I was wondering whether you can shed some further light on part numbers for things that have changed but not been updated in the official BOM? Just trying to make my possible Aussie group-buy BOM as accurate as possible......

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In addition, we are changing the ceramic discs to axial ceramics.
3. LED resistors are too large for the pads.
The traces are really tight on the MiniMAX, as you prototypers can attest. There isn't any room to make these pads larger. However, we have adjusted the BOM for an inexpensive 1W metal film that will fit the pads.
CR4 will most likely change to an electrolytic.... A 100uf 35V will be the recommendation.

For CR4, I have specced up a Nichicon UPW which is a tidy 6.3x11mm and only $0.32...... but there doesn't seem to be a Panasonic FM alternative. They have a 68µF 35V at 6.3x11.2mm, or a 150µF 35V at 8x11.5mm which I feel may be too big. What do you think?

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #146 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi tomb,

Don't want to pull you off task too much, but I was wondering whether you can shed some further light on part numbers for things that have changed but not been updated in the official BOM? Just trying to make my possible Aussie group-buy BOM as accurate as possible......

For CR4, I have specced up a Nichicon UPW which is a tidy 6.3x11mm and only $0.32...... but there doesn't seem to be a Panasonic FM alternative. They have a 68µF 35V at 6.3x11.2mm, or a 150µF 35V at 8x11.5mm which I feel may be too big. What do you think?

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Good choice. Yes - you're correct. As a matter of fact, I've tried the 100uf 50V FM and it was too big (8mm dia). I have a 68uf 35V on order (FM from DigiKey), but as you can probably tell, they're out of stock and on order. It needs to be 6 (6.3) mm dia or less.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #147 of 1,948
Sorry to keep bugging you tomb.......
redface.gif

How is this for CR3? 147-75-101-RC
Same specs as the ceramic disc but axial, and only 2.5x4mm.

And for RA5? PR01000102001JR500
This is 2.5x8.5mm, compared to the previously specced resistor at 3.5x10mm.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #148 of 1,948
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to keep bugging you tomb.......
redface.gif

How is this for CR3? 147-75-101-RC
Same specs as the ceramic disc but axial, and only 2.5x4mm.

And for RA5? PR01000102001JR500
This is 2.5x8.5mm, compared to the previously specced resistor at 3.5x10mm.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm ... looks like I haven't uploaded the latest changes to the BOM. I'll do that now. In the meantime, Colin had already selected Mouser part #581-SA102A101JAR for CR3A/B/C/D.

As for the resistors - sure. They're only powering the LED's. Whatever will fit (same size as a V-D RN55) and is at least 1/2W. Power should be (0.0135^2) * 2000 = 0.37W at 27V. To tell the truth, I will probably continue to use 1/2W carbon films and kneel them, but don't tell Colin I said that.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #149 of 1,948
Quote:

In the meantime, Colin had already selected Mouser part #581-SA102A101JAR for CR3A/B/C/D.

Cheaper and higher rated than what I picked! *thumbs up*

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #150 of 1,948
Quote:

Currently the price is $58.89 per case at 46 cases, without including shipping costs. I haven't counted the silver vs. black ratio, either. The silkscreen charges for each color is a $50 minimum. This works out to about 31 cases of each before incurring an additional charge.

So if we don't hit 100 cases ordered, can we still order them at that price ($58.89), provided everyone agrees?
What if we wanted to order just one case outside of the group buy(down the road sometime)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back