New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #6,211 of 6,727
Well I have to say I noticed the USB thing before I cut, but when I made my own measurements I still got the hole in the wrong place :frowning2:  Far as I can tell with the default layout on the max site, you have to get it up almost touching the bottom RCA jack to make a nice square hole..  I think I will redo the back of mine sometime and change things up a little..  I have some scrap Al 1/8" plate laying around I can make end caps out of..

Out of town for the weekend but I will post some pics of the cased up beast when I get home.. I just need to get my acrylic top part made and I will be done.   Then I will start doing more tweaks to it 
devil_face.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #6,212 of 6,727

Quote:
"L-com" is the actual name:
http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=1393

I've bought several of them, but never used them.  It's a great suggestion by BMF, but be forewarned: these things are about three times bigger than you think they are.

Damn, somehow managed to insert a horizontal line and now I can't delete the person, so I'll work above it...

L-Conn, L-Com, whatever. 
tongue.gif
  I knew Tom would post a link.

This is one that came through the Toole/tomb small group buy, to me by way of Mr. Toole.  It is big, but damn are they nice! 

redface.gif
  I only have 30-40 minutes of time on the AS NOS USB DAC.  The BGs are nowhere near burned it.  Even so, it is a sweet DAC.  It might measure with higher Jitter, but I sure as hell don't hear it.  Maybe I just like Wow and Flutter so my brain tunes it out.  Killer bass, just an enjoyable sound, but it was the last kit.  He only has a fully assembled unit left.  He's working on a balanced 24/192 NOS DACs right now.  Once it's up to his standard, he'll make the boards and I'll be receiving a Paypal invoice for a USB and SPDIF versions.  :wink:  Then my systems are done.  Other than a custom TT and Pearl 2 phono stage, there isn't anything else I expect to add other than things already on the project list.  My DACs are covered with those new balanced units from AS.  Nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel and realize it's not a train. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #6,213 of 6,727
Room with a view: Temp digs for the grubdac...

So, I came up with a temporary mounting point for the grubdac. The trick is to "move uptown" and exploit the room the case supports. I am using a cable pigtail to provide the USB connection. Luckily, the case for the MOSFET-MAX is big enough to accommodate a variety of mounting options (and the grubdac is so incredibility small). This will suffice until I can evaluate the DAC and decide how I want to rectify the situation long term. Good stuff!!

Some pics:

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #6,214 of 6,727
Just noticed the USB cable on the Capistor?

If you would like some sheet metal let me know , I have a few gauges of SS and some carbon steel if you want to try and make a bracket..
I think I have some brass too...

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #6,218 of 6,727

Quote:
Not really related to the MAX but,anyone have a good suggestion on a small speaker tube amp setup?  say ~5-10w per channel?

Thanks!!

AA

Buy - Decware Taboo or Mini Torii.  DIY - An Octode from AJ van Dorn.  I'm working on a 10W version.  As designed it's a 40W/ch amp, but I have 10W OPT iron that has the 8200R primary impedance needed for the design.  It was in AudioXpress and John Broskie wrote about it in TubeCAD.  Basically you get a SET sound with the speed and power of pentode P-P.  There are other great amp designs on diyAudio too.  The Red Light District and it's variations being a hugely popular amp. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #6,219 of 6,727
OK, I have my Max MOSFET built and LOVE IT!!!  I have 4 Elna Silmic II coming in to do a recap of CA2 and CA7..  Soon as I get that in (hope tuesday night) and get the lexan top on I will post some new pics..

I have a question though..  I'm pretty good a following instructions and building things, even things I don't really understand (like this amp :frowning2: )  Can anyone reccomend a amps for dummies 101 kinda book/site that applies to tube amps and hybrids like this?  I want to better understand the stages and what affects what..

Thanks guys!!

AA

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #6,220 of 6,727
Pete Millet's site that FA linked will have you buried in reading material for months.  Seriously.  Start there.  Also, start reading John Broskie's TubeCAD Journal.

http://www.tubecad.com/

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #6,222 of 6,727

Quote:
Thanks BoilermakerFan, I should have just started there earlier like you said for my other question..  well I know what my bedtime reading is going to be for a while :)

Thanks again!!!

AA

I'll drop you a PM to keep this thread from going more OT.

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #6,223 of 6,727

Here's how I'm setting up a Grub in my MOSFET-Max.

100_2135.jpg

I moved the Grub board over and drilled 2 new mounting holes.

100_2137.jpg

100_2138.jpg

Spacers are two 4/40 flat washers per hole.

100_2139.jpg

100_2140.jpg

100_2141.jpg

As you can see, my RCA's use the unsulating washers, so that places the bottom one lower than normal.

FWIW

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #6,224 of 6,727
Nice. Very clever!

How the heck did you make that hole on the back panel for that mini-b jack??? 

I gotta know how you did that.

BTW, your grub is missing a few key parts.  :wink:

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #6,225 of 6,727

Missing parts? Whatdya mean? It works fine.  OK, I lied. Just thought the pix would be clearer without
the cap's in the way.

Here's how I did the hole. I put a piece of masking tape on the inside of the back panel, mounted the
panel, then slid the board with the Grub mounted on it into the amp and against the tape to make an
impression of where the jack would hit the panel. Then I drilled two 5/32' holes side by side, and used
some small hobby files (Harbor Freight) and a lot of patience to shape the hole.

BTW, the little bugger fired right up (after I installed the cap's).  I'm listening to it as I type, and it's sounding
pretty good for no bigger than it is.

More pix:

100_2143.jpg

100_2144.jpg

100_2146.jpg

100_2148.jpg

I've since done the tweak from the website by replacing the electrolytic cap's with 330uF FM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back