New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Aug 22, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #1,126 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few of us got some Vitamin Q's that are a little worse than that. That said, they look pretty flat. If you're doing a BJT version, you may have room to mount them under the board.

Those are pretty decent sized, aren't they? I've got some sitting in wait for my Darling amp. I've heard a few tube amps with them and they do sound nice. The Russian PIO are nice as well.

I think someone should use some motor run caps in the PS. Now some of those are HUGE. Come to think of it I've got some...hmmmm

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #1,127 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats one swanky case! How do you like your sound with the big film caps?

Cheers! All I had to do was drill holes, naamanf did the rest.

Caps sound awesome, an absolute pain to install but I think it was worth it

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #1,128 of 6,727
Since I have the recommended hammond case, I will take some sandpaper and carefully remove the black anodized film where the Alps pot makes contact with the faceplate. I don't know though, maybe I will be better off with a wire connected to the case. :wink:

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #1,130 of 6,727
Welcome Superpong! You are about 6 weeks too late, but boards may become available. You will have to check with TomB. Sorry for your wallet. :frowning2:

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #1,131 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, are these sonicap genIIs polarized
tongue.gif
?
-ruZZ

No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead
Since I have the recommended hammond case, I will take some sandpaper and carefully remove the black anodized film where the Alps pot makes contact with the faceplate. I don't know though, maybe I will be better off with a wire connected to the case. :wink:

The pad is there next to the pot for the ground wire. There should be no need to purposefully ground the case. In fact, the case/ground is isolated from the power supply (AC). We only made reference to the case in case of happenstance. It is only important that the pot is grounded to the signal ground (DC negative) on the board. That's the purpose of the pad.

Solder a wire to the pad and tie the end of the lead to the screw on the Alps pot. The Alps pot screws go all the way the length of the pot and are visible on the front of the pot. So, when you unscrew them, there's gracious plenty room to wrap the wire around and screw it all back in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by superpong
Hello do we (or did we) have a group buy of this PCB? It looks really interesting

Yes - one of the biggest Group Buys (biggest?) ever made for a DIY headphone amp. Check the stats in my signature below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead
Welcome Superpong! You are about 6 weeks too late, but boards may become available. You will have to check with TomB. Sorry for your wallet. :frowning2:

Actually, it's still Cetoole (Colin) that has the boards. He is still too busy to answer my e-mails, either - so don't send him any. He always gets back to us when he can.

It's a fact that he has ~50 extra boards. He may still be working with some people who've been shorted or had shipping errors. He can't hang on to that many boards, so he will sell them at some point. Also, we have talked many times about having another Group Buy around Christmas, perhaps. So, please stay tuned ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #1,132 of 6,727
My 2 boards are framed and hanging on the wall
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #1,134 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn"t read this thread< and know little about electronics< but have had my share of tube guitar amps< and the voltages stored here can kill< be careful>

Nope - That's what makes the Millett so great: 24-27VDC max.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #1,135 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few of us got some Vitamin Q's that are a little worse than that. That said, they look pretty flat. If you're doing a BJT version, you may have room to mount them under the board.

You don't say.
rolleyes.gif

Just wait until I post pics of my board, it definitely looks interesting.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #1,137 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by babbkutz@comcast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my K701s plugged into the MAX............THANKS EVERYONE!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey! This is news, I hope. Several of us can confirm the MAX does great with the HD580 and HD600. May we now state that the K701's sound great with the MAX??
cool.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #1,139 of 6,727
I went away for a few months on vacation and wow this thread has gotten large. I assume there have been a few more people who have built both MOSFETs and DBs, can any of them weigh in on the comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back