New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Aug 25, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #6,691 of 6,727
hello guys :) im the new one, dennis, 32 from germany.

i think i made a mess out of my build :frowning2: i accidently switched qb8l and qb9l, operated the build WITHOUT a fuse (... yeah, i know, i know). after two or three secs, i saw smoke, think it was near the left tube socket (having the volume pot directing towards me).
now i have the following readings:

v+ and gnd adjusted to 27v.
ta2rl and tb1 are 0v from the beginning,
ta2rl and tb2 have 10mV then slowly drop to zero.
gnd to ta2l/r are near (edit this in later since im on a train atm).

Can you guys help me fix my build?
Thanks in advance

Dennis

QB8 and QB9 are maybe strong enough to withstand being reversed. However, it sounds like you may have burned out one or more of the smaller, TO-92 transistors. Unfortunately, figuring out which transistors may be bad is a difficult thing once they're soldered into the circuit. You should probably replace all of them to be certain.

That may sound awful and it probably is from the amount of work required, but it's only a dollar or two in cost.

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #6,692 of 6,727
QB8 and QB9 are maybe strong enough to withstand being reversed. However, it sounds like you may have burned out one or more of the smaller, TO-92 transistors. Unfortunately, figuring out which transistors may be bad is a difficult thing once they're soldered into the circuit. You should probably replace all of them to be certain.

That may sound awful and it probably is from the amount of work required, but it's only a dollar or two in cost.

Hey TomB,

This is like the 5th edit... my thoughts wouldnt let me get any rest... i was triple- and quadchecking things... end of story - some smoke, but no damage actually. the amp works like a charm, i was just too cautious. after like 10 or 15 rounds, i was able to get 220mV between both TA2(R/L) and TB1/TB2. I then tested with a old headphone...

Anyway, lessons learned... fuses are on the way :)
Thanks for your time and help!

Dennis

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #6,693 of 6,727

Hey TomB,

This is like the 5th edit... my thoughts wouldnt let me get any rest... i was triple- and quadchecking things... end of story - some smoke, but no damage actually. the amp works like a charm, i was just too cautious. after like 10 or 15 rounds, i was able to get 220mV between both TA2(R/L) and TB1/TB2. I then tested with a old headphone...

Anyway, lessons learned... fuses are on the way :)
Thanks for your time and help!

Dennis

Well, that's the best possible news!  Glad to hear it!

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #6,694 of 6,727
Hey Tom! Long, long time no talk.

I'm in the process of getting rid of my big ole speaker rigs and going to headphones as my main squeeze. Gonna have a small set of bookshelves pushed by a pair of Pass ACA's and Aikido as the speaker rig. I happened to have ran across the original Max pcb that I think I got from Vixr. Any reason not to go ahead and populate this thing? I mean, I'd love to have an Ear, but the only way that's gonna happen is if I make a version of my own.

Anyway, glad to be back in the game.

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #6,695 of 6,727
Hey Tom! Long, long time no talk.

I'm in the process of getting rid of my big ole speaker rigs and going to headphones as my main squeeze. Gonna have a small set of bookshelves pushed by a pair of Pass ACA's and Aikido as the speaker rig. I happened to have ran across the original Max pcb that I think I got from Vixr. Any reason not to go ahead and populate this thing? I mean, I'd love to have an Ear, but the only way that's gonna happen is if I make a version of my own.

Anyway, glad to be back in the game.

Glad to hear from you!

The original Millett Hybrid MAX is a classic.  Good luck in the build, but I'm sure you won't need it!

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #6,698 of 6,727
Quick question. Since I have the original V1 board I seem to recall being able to cut a trace, maybe to C5, to improve the PS noise floor. Am I recalling correctly?

Heck, I should probably get the V 1.2 pcb and put a DAC on it. Then buy a DAP to use with it, lol.

Shoot, I still have an old unpopulated revMH and populated DB pcb for it I never made if I wanna really stretch back.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #6,699 of 6,727
Quick question. Since I have the original V1 board I seem to recall being able to cut a trace, maybe to C5, to improve the PS noise floor. Am I recalling correctly?

Heck, I should probably get the V 1.2 pcb and put a DAC on it. Then buy a DAP to use with it, lol.

Shoot, I still have an old unpopulated revMH and populated DB pcb for it I never made if I wanna really stretch back.

You may be thinking of the original Millett Hybrid MAX prototype, which actually became the Mini-MAX.  As it turns out, a ground plane underneath the rectifiers and power supply caps (CR1-A,B,C,D) results in the quietest power supply - as long as there is a very small ground plane connection to the rest of the amplifier circuit.  In the MiniMAX, this was done with a small ground plane trace at RR3.  In the original Millett MAX prototype, which was sized the same as the MiniMAX, a ground plane existed all the way across the PCB.  It was found that this infected the amp with 60Hz hum.  The solution was to cut all the way across the ground plane so that the power supply ground plane was separated from the rest of the PCB, save for a small connection at resistor R3.

That probably sounds very confusing.  The gist of it was that it was originally thought no ground plane at all under the power supply was the correct solution, because it removed the hum when the power supply was built off the board.  So, all original Millett Hybrid MAX boards were made without a ground plane under the power supply section.  However, that was not the quietest solution as we discovered later on with the Mini-MAX.  A ground plane is needed under the power supply portion of the board.  Unfortunately, it's kind of hard (impossible) to retrofit the PCB unless it was made that way.

The Millett Hybrid MAX V1.2 incorporates a ground plane under the power supply and is connected with a small ground plane trace to the rest of the PCB near RR3.  This is the best solution for the quietest power supply performance.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #6,701 of 6,727
Oct 7, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #6,702 of 6,727
​Dang!  I forgot about that.  Good find!

You'll note, however, that it confirms what I said above.  It will be much better with this mod, but it still won't equal MiniMAX performance or the newer Millett MAX V1.2 PCB.  You need the ground plane under the LM317 and the CR1 caps.

Yup. I figured I have the board, might as well build it.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #6,703 of 6,727
Hi Tom!

I posted a few months back about the MOSFET Max I am building and integrating with a Raspberry Pi. (Thread Here.) Anyway, I am still working on the case, however I finished getting the amp and Pi section built. I am having a major problem with noise however. I'm sure it has something to do with a ground loop, or I am missing something. I'm going to try and be as clear as possible, however I realize this is not a typical design. Below is a pic for reference.

The 24 VAC wall wart goes to the terminal block in the lower right corner. From there, one side goes back to the AC input of the Max. The other goes to a 24VAC/5VDC "buck" converter. The 5VDC then goes into a small device called an ATXRaspi. That feeds the Pi with 5VDC, and allows you to use a momentary pushbutton to shut down or reboot the pi safely. I don't think that is (directly) causing my problem (see below.)

I will spare you some of the details. Right now, the Main Pi is outputting on the RCA jacks to the Max. There is a lot of hum/noise on that input channel, and even some on the other input channel that has another source or nothing playing. Here are the steps/configurations I have done:

First/desired configuration
ATXRaspi feeding "Main" Pi - Pi feeding one input channel of amp via RCA jacks (currently using RCA jacks for testing, will be hard wired in final version)
Result: Lots of hum on that channel, even some hum on the other channel.

Tried other input channel of amp:
Same result

Tried using headphone out of Main Pi
Same result

Tried connecting the Main Pi to a seperate power source
Hum was gone, but need to identify why

Tried connecting (an)Other Pi to ATXRaspi to see if "buck" converter was inducing noise on the main power supply
Left Main Pi connected to Max and playing while Other Pi was running
No hum, other than some odd electrical noise when changing tracks in software, and occasional static when just sitting there, will need to track this down eventually but for now, not a major concern

Tried putting headphones into Other Pi while it played music to see if noise followed the ATXRaspi
Headphone out was perfectly clear, no noise

Connected Other Pi (on ATXRaspi) to Max on one input, left Main Pi playing on other input
Instant noise as soon as RCA jacks were connected, even on other channel with the Main Pi. The Main Pi only gained a little noise, but the Other Pi had a ton of noise.

So, everything points to some type of ground loop issue. I am horrible at finding the cause of these issues and fixing them, so any help you can offer would be appreciated.

One thing to note, I am using a wood case, and I know that affects it somehow, being that it is completely insulated.

Anyway, I'm sure you can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Mike

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #6,704 of 6,727
Tried connecting the Main Pi to a seperate power source
Hum was gone, but need to identify why

Tried connecting (an)Other Pi to ATXRaspi to see if "buck" converter was inducing noise on the main power supply
Left Main Pi connected to Max and playing while Other Pi was running
No hum, other than some odd electrical noise when changing tracks in software, and occasional static when just sitting there, will need to track this down eventually but for now, not a major concern

I'm not really understanding that bolded part, but the sentence above that is the key.  Especially suspicious is the "buck" converter.  Those devices are sometimes notorious for noise on the converted DC line.  Depending on how the wiring is setup to the ATXRaspi on the MAX board, it could be infecting the signal lines.  Notice how the ground plane is limited around the power supply on the MAX and only connected to the rest of the amplifier circuit with a small piece of ground plane in the center.  This is what makes the difference between whether the ground plane reduces noise versus increases it.  It came about after many months and prototype testing of the basic Millett Hybrid MAX and MiniMAX.  (And NO it was not copied - Colin Toole's ground plane design was independently developed with a little bit of my help, it pre-dated any of Cavalli's designs, and it is documented with its time reference on diyforums.org.)

I'm no expert on ground loops, either, but I'm not sure a ground loop - in the traditional sense - is possible when the walwart is essentially ungrounded.  The two-wire AC output from the walwart has no ground reference.  The MAX board creates its own ground for the circuit, but this is completely isolated from the 24VAC inlet plug.  Even if you used a metal inlet plug, it would still be insulated by the wood.  So, I don't think a potential ground loop has anything to do with this.  Instead, I think the AC (or other power noise) is leaking back out of the buck converter's DC and somehow infecting the signal lines on the MAX, perhaps through the ATXRaspi?

If I understand your description of tests, the first sentence in your quote above solved the problem.  I don't know if that implies the buck converter was still in the circuit, but I would work toward keeping the buck converter away from the circuit that supplies the MAX.  Your ingenuity in using the terminal block is commendable, but with the buck converter, it sounds like it created more problems than it solved.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #6,705 of 6,727
I'll explain the bolded part. I left the buck converter connected to the power circuit as before, but powered a different pi with it. I then hooked a wall wart up to the Pi that is supposed to go to the amp. When I connected the RCA of the Main pi to the amp, there was no noise, even with the buck converter still in the power supply circuit, just not powering the Main Pi. I then plugged my headphones into the other pi, the one that was connected to the buck converter. There was no noise on it. Then I connected the other pi to the amp. The hum came back. So it only occurs when ANY pi and the amp are connected to the same power circuit AND connected to each other. Each on their own is fine with the same power circuit. It's only when I try to connect one to the other that the ground issue surfaces.

I could bring another power supply for the Pi into the amp enclosure, but I feel that would be a little silly. I could also (potentially) bring in 120 VAC and include separate internal/external (top of the enclosure) transformers for both the 5 VDC and the 24 VAC.Seems like a little overkill, but I really want to use this design. I might just say screw it and buy or make a nice enclosure for the pi that matches the amp enclosure. Just frustrating as this should work.

I spent some time taking a bunch of voltage measurements. Some of them won't matter at all, as I'm sure they are effectively the same measurement. But maybe you can draw more from them than I can. If you need clarification, let me know, I was just jotting them down in a way that made sense to me. Maybe not so much to others.

One thing I didn't try, and I don't know if it would be a good idea or not, was to connect the amp output ground to the star ground. Not sure what effect that would have, but I don't think it would be good.

The biggest potential measurement issues that I see are:

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from pi output to amp star with music playing from phone and headphones connected to pi and amp (NOTE: Amp and Pi are NOT connected at this point)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]453-463 mV DC[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from pi output to amp input with music playing from phone and headphones connected to pi and amp (NOTE: Amp and Pi are NOT connected at this point)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]453-463 [/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]mV DC[/color] 

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from amp input/phone output to amp OUTPUT ground with music playing, amp set to phone channel and headphones connected (NOTE: Amp and Pi are NOT connected at this point)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]0.2 [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from amp input/pi output to amp output ground with music playing, amp set to pi channel and headphones connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]0.5 [/color]

Measurements

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]NOTE: All STAR ground references tests were actually tested using ground reference test point, not the one in the center of the board. "Earth" is using the ground terminal of a wall outlet.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]All measurements in mV DC.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]-0.3 mV DC to 1.2 in air, 0 when completely still[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Amp[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from star to earth[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]15 - 20[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from input to earth[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]35 - 50[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from star to earth with music playing from phone[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]75 -85[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from amp input/phone output to earth with music playing from phone[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]75-85[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from star to earth with music playing from phone and headphones connected [/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]75-80[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from amp input/phone output to earth with music playing from phone and headphones connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]75-80[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from amp input/phone output to STAR with music playing amp set to phone channel and headphones connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)](NOTE: Amp and Pi are NOT connected at this point)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]0.1-0.4[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from star to amp OUTPUT ground with music playing, amp set to phone channel and headphones connected, (NOTE: Amp and Pi are NOT connected at this point)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]0.1-0.2[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from amp input/phone output to amp OUTPUT ground with music playing, amp set to phone channel and headphones connected (NOTE: Amp and Pi are NOT connected at this point)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]0.2[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from earth to amp OUTPUT ground with music playing, amp set to phone channel and headphones connected (NOTE: Amp and Pi are NOT connected at this point)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]135-145[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Pi[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from output to earth[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]73-80 (powered off)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from output to earth with music playing[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]63-70[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from output to earth with music playing and headphones connected [/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]80-90[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from pi output to star with music playing from phone and headphones connected to pi and amp (NOTE: Amp and Pi are NOT connected at this point)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]453-463[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from pi output to amp input with music playing from phone and headphones connected to pi and amp (NOTE: Amp and Pi are NOT connected at this point)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]453-463[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Pi and Amp connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from star to earth with music playing, amp set to pi channel and headphones connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]73-80[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from amp input/pi output to earth with music playing, amp set to pi channel and headphones connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]75-83[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from amp input/pi output to STAR with music playing amp set to pi channel and headphones connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]0.6[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from star to amp output ground with music playing, amp set to pi channel and headphones connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]0.1[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from amp input/pi output to amp output ground with music playing, amp set to pi channel and headphones connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]0.5[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Voltage difference from earth to amp output ground with music playing, amp set to pi channel and headphones connected[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]95-102[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Sound quality effect when star ground connected to earth ground:[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]None, still has hum[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
Sound quality effect when output ground connected to earth ground[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
None[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)], still has hum[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back