New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Jul 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #6,166 of 6,727

Just send me the Refund

TomB  see the MODs have edited out your inslut sir...........

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #6,167 of 6,727

Quote:

Just send me the Refund

TomB  see the MODs have edited out your inslut sir...........

Sorry, but there's nothing of mine that's been edited out - insult or otherwise.

Best of luck with you in your endeavors, Johnny.  Try to calm down in the future and maybe you'll have better success.  Your order is cancelled and refunded.

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #6,168 of 6,727

WOW!! I head out of town for a few days, and miss all the 'fun'. tomb, you have the patience of
the proverbial saint. Anyway.....

I got back home today, plugged in my amp, made all the measurements. Nothing out of whack,
so I plug in some music and ..... everything is fine. ?????   Must'a been bad juju. If anything else
screwy happens, I'll report back, otherwise ....
o2smile.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #6,170 of 6,727
To anyone looking to build this AMP here is my advise........

Don't bother asking any questions as the MAX Team they will not answer your direct questions only point you to a website......
They do have plenty of time to call you names and belittle you but none to answer a simple question......

They take time to answer questions they think you will ask next but again not the one you asked.......

If you think they have spent a good amount of time making the website easy to follow like a technical manual you'll be wrong..
Iin fact the currect model is missing any construction pictures as well as the construction page the older model has......... I guess the team is busy working on building this page and has no time to answer a single question to me.. I would have been happy to take the needed photos, edit them and build the page for them but they would rather call me names instead of help a friend.........

So my advise is if you think you may need help building this unit look elsewhere as I found no friends here.....

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #6,171 of 6,727

Quote:

Don't bother asking any questions as the MAX Team they will not answer your direct questions only point you to a website......

You're missing the point. You want everything handed to you on a platter, before you have done any reading or research yourself because of your own admitted failings of attention span. EVERY DIY project talked about on Head-Fi will be met with the same scorn of impatience that we have placed on you. It is called DIY for a reason.

Tom is one of the nicest and most helpful guys in the entire community. The fact that you have managed to annoy even his good nature speaks volume about you, not about him.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #6,172 of 6,727
Rarebear,

I think folks are more than willing to help, but, it is a two way process. Please understand, we may have similar frustrations with the feedback we receive from you as well. Legitimately, most folks here are truly committed to helping you make a successful build as long as you can demonstrate a reasonable level of competence and comprehension of the product and the build process. The last thing anyone wants to see is for you to fail miserably because of a misunderstanding of the product and processes. 

Remember, this is not a commercial product, rather , the fruits of a committed group of individuals to share a project with the community. The level of available documentation is unprecedented for this type of endeavor. Of the other DIY projects, only the AMB projects enjoy such a complete and passionate level of support. The level of commitment of TomB to this product is extraordinary. Please remember, he has a day job and does this out of a desire to learn and share this learning with others. The web sites, while not perfect, are more than adequate to answer most if not all of your questions satisfactorily if you take the time to carefully review the content. The other best place for information is this thread. I realize it is long, but, most if not all questions are addressed as well as a plethora of build options. It is kind of a "right of passage" to read and review the thread before attempting the build. The version 1.2 product is new and while very mature, is still going through the optimization process. So, relevant questions can and will be answered quickly and courteously if you remain patient with the process and temper your expectations from the responses. At least that has been my experience and I have successfully built the product to meet my personal expectations.  

As Beefy stated above, the Y part of DIY cannot be understated. Ultimately, you will be responsible for the final product, good or bad.  

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #6,173 of 6,727

Quote:
I have ADD ........

I'll see your ADD and raise you an H with added Hyperactivity.  ADD is not an excuse for your behavior or attitude, unless you referring to a condition other than Attention Deficit Disorder.  Cut way back on the sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and red number five food coloring.  Add Omega 3, 6, and 9 oils to your diet.  You'll fell better, your temper will calm down and your ADD will be less of a Disorder and more of a Gift.  I write that from personal experience so it is not an attack or insult.

Quote:

They do have plenty of time to call you names and belittle you but none to answer a simple question......

They take time to answer questions they think you will ask next but again not the one you asked.......

If you think they have spent a good amount of time making the website easy to follow like a technical manual you'll be wrong..
Iin fact the currect model is missing any construction pictures as well as the construction page the older model has......... I guess the team is busy working on building this page and has no time to answer a single question to me.. I would have been happy to take the needed photos, edit them and build the page for them but they would rather call me names instead of help a friend.........

So my advise is if you think you may need help building this unit look elsewhere as I found no friends here.....

How do you expect to make friends when you pull out a dagger or a sword and charge into the DIY crowd? 

If you want to experience the MAX amp and work into DIY slowly, buy a complete amp from Whiplash Audio.  I suspect Whiplash would be willing to build one with the Silmic II and Vit Q caps, then you can roll the tubes and poke around under the hood.  Lurk more, troll less.  For your first personal build, start with an amp or other component that has a lower parts count and a more rigid BOM. A gain clone amp kit comes to mind as an easy first build that yields nice sounding results.  Not a headphone amp per say, but and easier build than a MOSFET-MAX for a first-timer.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #6,174 of 6,727
Jake,
My point is not to drag this on but you end in saying questions will answered quickly and courteously ...

I did not have a build question, while trying to order parts after buying the board I was very confused and only got more confused when told to just make a CHOICE.....

It seems that you cant get an question answered other than read the website it has everything you need......
I read where I thought I would find what I was looking for and more but the info I needed was elsewhere...

After the second time I was being insluted for asking what page the info I needed was on I was done..... Period

So I find your statemant falus and completly unture..
The only info you will get is what you said.. The webpage has all the info you need...

I was trying to order parts and NO ONE would answer a smiple question.... 

I do know enough that one of these units you can no longer get parts for or they are hard to get my hurry was I feared buying the board and not being able to buy the parts listed... Thats why I was in a hurry and I sure you will tell this is not the case with these parts but I dont know that and just wanted to place an order but I guess everyone is to smart here to answer a dumb noobs question........

I have my own website rexmill.com and dont make a dime from it or the classes I give for FREE I even pay for lunch becasue I love learning and helping people.. Here you have to ask the right question and everyone is to busy calling people names instead of helping Tom improve his website...

This all I have to say, I'll have have this amp in my house as I will just remind me of my blood boiling yesterday......

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #6,175 of 6,727

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was trying to order parts and NO ONE would answer a smiple question.... 

*sigh* You are still missing the point. Order parts AFTER you have done the required reading.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #6,176 of 6,727
Beffy
You are not even reading my post if you are you seem to not understand what you read sir

I explained what I was in a hurry to buy parts but that when over your head......

You keep adding I have ADD or a attention problem which is not true at all....

I can only read for short times because of back pain...
Not ADD or an attention problem................

Maybe Tom should just sell built amps because anyone that askes a question your only answers are either read the website or buy one built :) Answering a question is of the question.. Do you all think your too smart to answer dumb questions I guess? I am not wothly of having a question answered? I get it.......

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #6,177 of 6,727

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I explained what I was in a hurry to buy parts but that when over your head......

Nothing went over my head, and I understand the situation completely. You are impatient, and have too short an attention span to read all of the material before ordering. When you weren't handed everything on a platter, you flipped your lid.

Slow down. Stop being in a hurry. Read everything first. Then order.

Quote:
I am not wothly of having a question answered? I get it.......

No, you are not worthy. Not until you bother to do the required reading. Everybody else manages to put in the effort to do that, so what do you think makes you so special that you don't have to?

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #6,179 of 6,727
Rarebear, 

Well, I am sorry your experience has not been favorable as mine has been exactly the opposite; favorable and rewarding. The bill of materials is a starting point, a suggestion for a journey. Not a bible, nor a mandate. Your statements remind me of a some-what famous song:

"freedom of choice is what you got, freedom from choice is what you want"

I wish I could say something that would help resolve this apparent conflict, but, I am apparently not eloquent enough. Perhaps in time, you can give it another chance. With the possible exception of the tubes, there are no parts that can not be replaced by equal substitutes with a resulting tweak in supporting elements. So, do not worry about hurrying though the process. Take your time to get it right in the first place. I personally spent many months preparing for my build and putting in place my desired configuration. It was part of the process and at least half of the fun. Nothing worth doing is quick or easy, or at least that has been my experience. 

In the future, I am personally more than willing to help as long as you can show some level of due diligence on your part before proceeding with the process of procuring parts and starting the build process. Believe it or not, most of your questions were answered quickly and correctly; you just did not like the answers. There is not much that can be done about that from our end. In the end, some, but not all, of the answers were a diplomatic way of stating you might be in over your head and should probably consider a build that presents far few options for customization. Perhaps a kit whereas everything is provided without the need for an open-ended BOM. Beezar offers just such a kit for the miniMAX which would make your HD600's sing. Whether or not Tom would sell you that kit after these proceedings is another matter.

In any case, I will not be commenting on this further, good luck to you in future endeavors.

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #6,180 of 6,727
My Applogies to All  Tom and formost the Mods here who I am making there job harder..........

I was unclear as to what to order, my friends.....

MY HOPE was to order parts and lay them out in front of me and them start the build have visual refferences in front of me....... This is how I wanted to start the project..............

I asked a few times, I even made a screenshot to illustrate what I was confused about....

I will not bring back up what happened after but I wish you all well.......

I will spend my time learning to read a schematic, order parts on my own even drill my own PCBs  made in my metal and wood shop I have in the garage...Do it all on my own seems to be what I have to do.......

Enjoy and Be Well......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back