New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Jun 12, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #4,966 of 6,727
Tom, 5 ohm actually, and I changed the values for the JFET source resistors as well.

Paint is 2 coats of self etching primer, followed by two of Rustoleum Hammered Black. For the headphone jack and LED bezel, it is primer+flat black.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #4,967 of 6,727
What are those bright red resistors? I've seen them used on a few DIY builds......

Oh, googling TC50 is my friend - they are from PRP, correct?

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #4,968 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are those bright red resistors? I've seen them used on a few DIY builds......

Oh, googling TC50 is my friend - they are from PRP, correct?

Yep - at Soniccraft, PartsConX and Handmade is starting to carry them, too, I believe. They go very nicely with Colin's Black Gate NX's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Colin - so did you go without CR5 entirely, or was that an interim pic? I recognize the Polystyrenes, but are those FG's in CR4 and CR5?

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #4,969 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paint is 2 coats of self etching primer, followed by two of Rustoleum Hammered Black.

DAAAAAAAMMMNNNNN that's an awesome finish there Colin. You get my vote for coolest hammond case yet. This rustoleum hammered finish paint does that by itself?

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #4,970 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep - at Soniccraft, PartsConX and Handmade is starting to carry them, too, I believe. They go very nicely with Colin's Black Gate NX's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Red LEDs all around too.
Quote:

Colin - so did you go without CR5 entirely, or was that an interim pic? I recognize the Polystyrenes, but are those FG's in CR4 and CR5?

Yup, Nope, Yup, though I ended up removing them, Yup
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAAAAAAAMMMNNNNN that's an awesome finish there Colin. You get my vote for coolest hammond case yet. This rustoleum hammered finish paint does that by itself?

Thanks Mr. Floyd, I like it. That is how hammered black paint dries, though the texture is dependent on how far away the spray can is from what you are painting and how thick you put the paint on. I have used it on two Millett Max amps now, and both look a bit different (other isnt completely reassembled yet, I took it apart to paint the case, so pics will come soon enough).

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #4,972 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Colin

Is that a Nobel volume pot?

Of course, 10kohm. These pots are great (especially when you happen across a $2 each deal). I use them on almost all of my projects.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #4,973 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, 10kohm. These pots are great (especially when you happen across a $2 each deal). I use them on almost all of my projects.

Most of us aren't that lucky...

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #4,974 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of us aren't that lucky...

Yeah, The Electronics Goldmine has an 8 audio pot grab bag for $2, that used to contain one Nobel pot per bag. I bought 10.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #4,975 of 6,727
Colin, that's the Gothic Max! :wink: Matching Darth Beyers optional. Nice effect, with red leds. Maybe some Bacardi black and Coke over ice to celebrate!

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #4,977 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone added a bass extender to a MH to improve it's low end?

This amp needs more low end?
eek.gif

What parts are you using? There are a number of options that are apparently optimal for good bass slam...... Muse ES at CA2 and CA7, Wima or blank at CA9, 2SC3422/2SA1359 output transistors, 12AE6(A) tubes......

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #4,979 of 6,727
Question about the power transistors. I'm building a BG Max with the VitQ bypasses, and unfortunately the suggested 2238/968 BJT's aren't available right now. TomB suggested to use the 2344/1011 transistors as a replacement, and I am fine with that, however I wanted to take the opportunity and ask what others thought as well. I'm willing to trade some detail for a little extra bass, but only SMALL amounts of detail. I want something that the BG's will make worthwhile.

Anythoughts? Also, I noticed that the lead time on arival of new 2238s at MCMinone is like 17 days now. Is it worth it just to wait and go with the tried and true? Or is there a good possibility that that lead time might be incorrect and the wait might be longer anyway?

Thanks guys.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #4,980 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question about the power transistors. I'm building a BG Max with the VitQ bypasses, and unfortunately the suggested 2238/968 BJT's aren't available right now. TomB suggested to use the 2344/1011 transistors as a replacement, and I am fine with that, however I wanted to take the opportunity and ask what others thought as well. I'm willing to trade some detail for a little extra bass, but only SMALL amounts of detail. I want something that the BG's will make worthwhile.

Anythoughts? Also, I noticed that the lead time on arival of new 2238s at MCMinone is like 17 days now. Is it worth it just to wait and go with the tried and true? Or is there a good possibility that that lead time might be incorrect and the wait might be longer anyway?

Thanks guys.

I'm in the same situation. I'm leaning towards mosfets...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back