New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Jun 9, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #4,936 of 6,727
hmm... interesting. So that would bring the total build cost up to ~$180-$200? If as you say it's not that drastic of a difference in sound, i'd probably just stick to the BJTs. I'm paring it up with my DT880, is there any specific BJT combo that you could say sounds better with these phones? Any experience there?

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #4,937 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by patton713MW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm... interesting. So that would bring the total build cost up to ~$180-$200? If as you say it's not that drastic of a difference in sound, i'd probably just stick to the BJTs. I'm paring it up with my DT880, is there any specific BJT combo that you could say sounds better with these phones? Any experience there?

Ha-Ha! I haven't built one for that yet! Even simple changes make the price higher.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #4,938 of 6,727
2SC3422/2SA1359 are my favorite BJTs for bass response. :wink:

Jun 9, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #4,939 of 6,727
Good, that fits what I'm looking at. I've decided to do Build #2.

I think I might pick up a pair of 12AE6 and a pair of 12FK6 just so I can hear them both and compare. Which tubes do you prefer?

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #4,940 of 6,727
Quote:

I think I might pick up a pair of 12AE6 and a pair of 12FK6 just so I can hear them both and compare. Which tubes do you prefer?

I have DT880s as well and I prefer the 12AE6 tubes over the 12FK6s since the 12AE6s add more bass, which goes well with the DT880s. I haven't listened to my 12FM6 tubes yet, so no opinion on those.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #4,941 of 6,727
Thanks guys. I was in sears yesterday for an air conditioner and they had the 12" tabletop drill press on sale $40 dollars off. So I got the craftsman for $78. I think it will make my life a whole lot easier for my case work. Can' t go wrong with that price either. I'll let you know tomorrow after I case up my boutique max tonight.
biggrin.gif

James

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #4,942 of 6,727
Quote:

Ya'll please note that I have again revised the MAX Boutique page:

Millett Hybrid MAX Boutique

We referenced it earlier, but I am officially proclaiming genuine Vitamin Q's as superior to K42's. After living with these things for quite awhile now, I tend to agree with Dsavitsk's reviews on both of them - perhaps not as much with the K42's, but 100% with the VitQ's:
Notes On Output Coupling Capacitors

As with the JFET-mod to the MOSFET-MAX, I'd just as soon people not build something unless it has the latest/best we've found. That's also considering economics, too. IMHO, there just isn't a better buy in capacitors than spending ~$3 on a genuine Vitamin Q.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #4,943 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have DT880s as well and I prefer the 12AE6 tubes over the 12FK6s since the 12AE6s add more bass, which goes well with the DT880s.

Those were my thoughts exactly when I read the description on beezar.com. Haha, glad to see my logic and reasoning are still is based in some reality!
wink.gif

I know that the 12AE6 have a higher gain (14), how does that gain pair up with the DT880? How much of the volume pot range do you use?
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
I am officially proclaiming genuine Vitamin Q's as superior to K42's.

Good! I was wrestling that choice over in my mind last night, and its good to hear a firmer response on them other than "they're about the same". I think I might actually be getting parts narrowed down!
biggrin.gif

What are some good choices for the volume knob? I'm ordering from Mouser.com. The shaft size is 6mm?

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #4,944 of 6,727
Quote:

Those were my thoughts exactly when I read the description on beezar.com. Haha, glad to see my logic and reasoning are still is based in some reality!
wink.gif
I know that the 12AE6 have a higher gain (14), how does that gain pair up with the DT880? How much of the volume pot range do you use?</snip>

Gain is not quite up to 14 for a 12AE6 in the actual circuit, perhaps 12-1/2 with a 330ohm load, but down to 7-1/2 with 32ohms. It varies with the impedance of the load.

Just so that you're not disappointed, I suspect that there are few of us who use much more than 1/2 of the volume travel. I think some builders have reported that 100 ohm output resistors attenuates things enough that it's in the same range as their other amps. That comes with a penalty in dynamics and detail - even using great resistors like Kiwame's. So, others of us like as little output resistance as possible, even if that means 1/4 turn on the volume for ear-splitting levels.

Luckily, the ALPS RK27 is able to take that in stride with very good quieting and fantastic channel tracking down to almost zero.

Or, you can always change to a 12FK6. Bass is not lacking in those, either, with low-impedance phones.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #4,945 of 6,727
Quote:

<snip>What are some good choices for the volume knob? I'm ordering from Mouser.com. The shaft size is 6mm?

Yes, the ALPS RK27 is 6mm. Many of us use the knobs from Partspipe on e-bay (hongkongsuperseller). They are pretty much made for RK27's. The inside of the knob is counter-bored pretty deep so that the shaft almost fits without trimming. If we were using thicker case endplates than the Hammond's, I think they would fit without trimming. As it is, it's not much you have to cut off using these:

Black -
2,30x22 Aluminum Hi-Fi CD VOLUME TONE CONTROL KNOB,B - eBay (item 300230353492 end time Jun-09-08 20:41:57 PDT)

Silver -
2, 30x22 Aluminum Dimple Hi-Fi CD VOLUME Pointer KNOB - eBay (item 300230883058 end time Jun-11-08 16:34:04 PDT)

These are great knobs - all I ever use on a full-size MAX. Plus, the ebay-er is dependable and shipping times are reasonable, considering the distance. $9.99 for two, including shipping.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #4,946 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so that you're not disappointed, I suspect that there are few of us who use much more than 1/2 of the volume travel. I think some builders have reported that 100 ohm output resistors attenuates things enough that it's in the same range as their other amps. That comes with a penalty in dynamics and detail - even using great resistors like Kiwame's. So, others of us like as little output resistance as possible, even if that means 1/4 turn on the volume for ear-splitting levels.

I want to avoid output resistors, so I can live with limited volume travel. I have the 250 ohm DT880, so I assume that would give a gain around 12ish?
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, you can always change to a 12FK6. Bass is not lacking in those, either, with low-impedance phones.

Then would you say that it would be worth it to buy a pair of each instead of selecting one or the other?

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #4,947 of 6,727
Jun 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #4,948 of 6,727
Quote:

Then would you say that it would be worth it to buy a pair of each instead of selecting one or the other?

Chances are at 250ohm, you'd want the 12AE6's. Yet, NOS tubes can be fairly random. I've always bought extra in the hopes of rolling in that special pair that sound better than all the others. Changes like that are mitigated somewhat by the powerful SS buffers in the MAX, but you can't tell what you like until you hear it.
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #4,949 of 6,727
Guys, I'm trying to find a 3mm LED for the MAX that is bright (around 5500 mcd as the BOM suggests). Can anyone give me some Mouser part numbers? I'm interested in light blue, blue, ultraviolet, aqua green...

As well, I'm using the 2SC2238/2SA968 power transistor set in my build, and I've noted that the 2SC2238 has a reversed pinout. Does this mean that on the QB9L/R I mount the transistor on the outer pad (pad facing outwards with the thick white line silkscreened on it) or the inner pad (pad facing inwards closest to RB8L/R, RB10L/R)?

Thanks a lot!

Jun 9, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #4,950 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Takaji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I'm trying to find a 3mm LED for the MAX that is bright (around 5500 mcd as the BOM suggests). Can anyone give me some Mouser part numbers? I'm interested in light blue, blue, ultraviolet, aqua green...

As well, I'm using the 2SC2238/2SA968 power transistor set in my build, and I've noted that the 2SC2238 has a reversed pinout. Does this mean that on the QB9L/R I mount the transistor on the outer pad (pad facing outwards with the thick white line silkscreened on it) or the inner pad (pad facing inwards closest to RB8L/R, RB10L/R)?

Thanks a lot!

Uh oh, reverse pinout. You better send those transistors to me and I'll send you different ones to replace them.
wink.gif

Millett Hybrid MAX BJT Transistors

A picture is worth a 1,000 words, so check out the great pic on the MAX website...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back