New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
May 5, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #4,681 of 6,727
We need to give a round of thanks to Bperboy! He represented Team Millett MAX at the Can Jam 08 by displaying his MOSFET MAX at the show!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

He and I traded a few PMs about the JFET-MOSFET mod, so I'm curious as to whether he got those installed before the show. Regardless, he mentioned that he got a lot of good comments on his MAX.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Head-Fi user Asr's pics:

May 5, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #4,683 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need to give a round of thanks to Bperboy! He represented Team Millett MAX at the Can Jam 08 by displaying his MOSFET MAX at the show!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

He and I traded a few PMs about the JFET-MOSFET mod, so I'm curious as to whether he got those installed before the show. Regardless, he mentioned that he got a lot of good comments on his MAX.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Head-Fi user Asr's pics:

Thanks guys!!! I was indeed the only Max there, and the only other Millett Hybrids there was The Monkey's Headroom Millett Hybrid and N_Maher's Starving Student Millett... I figured there would've been a few more, but oh well.
cool.gif

As to the JFET-MOSFET mod, I did make the change a few weeks ago, and it works out perfectly. It may have seemed a bit clearer to me, but then again, I don't have the most golden ears in the world.. maybe more like copper!
wink.gif
The Max certainly made my HD580s sing at the meet, as well as the several pairs of K701s that I tried, and even a pair of Grado HF-1s!

May 5, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #4,684 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Super Bright LEDs - LEDs

FWIW, I have had great luck with them as well. My favorites are their 605nm orange leds (3200 mcd). I have them in my 'Can't Miss #2' build and it gives the tubes a more natural looking glow like they have some serious high temp heating elements in them.

May 5, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #4,685 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeff's a good guy - I'm sure he'll respond eventually. Apparently, he must be trying to catch up on his stock after taking a break to do his taxes a couple of weeks ago.

If you refer to some of the posts in the Alien DAC thread, he's having to wait on some Mouser orders. The headphone jack could be causing a problem, too - there appears to be a worldwide shortage from Neutrik right now on the NMJ6HCD2. Mouser says they'll have more in on the 15th, but everyone else is about 10-12 weeks behind that.

Hopefully, he'll respond to you shortly and explain something similar to that, I'm guessing.

Thanks tomb. I sure hope i hear something soon.
He seems like a good guy. Which is why i ordered from him in the first place.
I guess I'll just have to have a little more patience.

May 6, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #4,686 of 6,727
I've accumulated a lot of 12ae6a. By "a lot" i mean "way more than i will ever need". A bunch of 12fm6 as well.

I have about half a dozen tubes that i have only one of. Yeah, the internal construction varies that much.

I know these tubes got harder to find in the last year, and i know some sources started refusing to try and match them.

So, is there anyone following this thread who has an oddball tube that they wish they had a pair for? I'm selling.

I have:

GE 12ae6a that exactly matches one offered in an ebay store right now qty1. Halo getter on the top. Construction looks like RCA to me.

DuMont 12ae6 clear-top. I can't find any specifications that say what the difference is between 12ae6 and 12ae6a. Halo getter on the side. Construction looks like RCA to me.

DuMont 12ae6a with D-getter on the top. Construction again looks like RCA.

CBS (sylvania) clear-top 12ae6a with squareish D-getter on the side. Triple mica - the outer plates (diodes?) are crimped to a tiny round mica piece on the top.

Edit: I found another 12fm6. RCA, square getter on top.

I also have some tubes with identical internal construction and mismatched labels. You could always wash off the paint!

I have an RCA clear-top 12FM6 and United Electron 12FM6 that look precisely the same.

I have a Sylvania triple-mica clear-top 12ae6a and a DuMont 12ae6a that looks precisely the same internally.

If you twist my arm, i could also sell you an unused max board, a pair of sockets, and some nichicon muse kz output caps. I'd thought about building a bjt max to go with my mosfet max, but i'm more interested in other designs these days and i doubt I'll get around to it.

May 6, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #4,687 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've accumulated a lot of 12ae6a. By "a lot" i mean "way more than i will ever need". A bunch of 12fm6 as well.

I have about half a dozen tubes that i have only one of. Yeah, the internal construction varies that much.

I know these tubes got harder to find in the last year, and i know some sources started refusing to try and match them.

So, is there anyone following this thread who has an oddball tube that they wish they had a pair for? I'm selling.

I have:

GE 12ae6a that exactly matches one offered in an ebay store right now qty1. Halo getter on the top. Construction looks like RCA to me.

DuMont 12ae6 clear-top. I can't find any specifications that say what the difference is between 12ae6 and 12ae6a. Halo getter on the side. Construction looks like RCA to me.

DuMont 12ae6a with D-getter on the top. Construction again looks like RCA.

CBS (sylvania) clear-top 12ae6a with squareish D-getter on the side. Triple mica - the outer plates (diodes?) are crimped to a tiny round mica piece on the top.

I also have some tubes with identical internal construction and mismatched labels. You could always wash off the paint!

I have an RCA clear-top 12FM6 and United Electron 12FM6 that look precisely the same.

I have a Sylvania triple-mica clear-top 12ae6a and a DuMont 12ae6a that looks precisely the same internally.

If you twist my arm, i could also sell you an unused max board, a pair of sockets, and some nichicon muse kz output caps. I'd thought about building a bjt max to go with my mosfet max, but i'm more interested in other designs these days and i doubt I'll get around to it.

I have an odd-man out 12FM6 that was the last one in stock at Radio Daze so I'd love to have a match for it. Send me a PM with your email and I'll be able to send you pics for a match if at all possible. I'd also be interested in the KZ caps...

May 6, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #4,688 of 6,727
Congrats Bperboy on representing TEAM MAX at CanJam08!

I think I know what thats like. I had alot of great reactions at Mayberry on Acid. :wink:

May 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #4,689 of 6,727
Sorry to beat a dead horse, After reading a billion posts
rolleyes.gif
I'm still not sure on the concensus for the output resistors. I know it is very build specific. I am finishing up Can't Miss Build #1 and I use Denons and Beyer/ 80' s so I would like some gain reduction if it's possible without any loss in SQ. Are the Rikens the only way to go with say 100R ? Would there be any loss in detail with the Rikens? Thnaks again

James
_________

May 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #4,690 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to beat a dead horse, After reading a billion posts
rolleyes.gif
I'm still not sure on the concensus for the output resistors. I know it is very build specific. I am finishing up Can't Miss Build #1 and I use Denons and Beyer/ 80' s so I would like some gain reduction if it's possible without any loss in SQ. Are the Rikens the only way to go with say 100R ? Would there be any loss in detail with the Rikens? Thnaks again

James
_________

The primary method of adjusting gain is by changing the tube type. If the 12FK6's with their lower gain is still too much, then the right resistance in RB14 may help.

Best dynamics and detail are without, but 10 ohms may tame the tizziness enough to sound better than without.

When you get up into the 47-100 ohms range, then the quality of the resistor means a great deal. Stackpoles and Kiwames are very close, IMHO, with Kiwames having more detail and sweetened highs. Stackpoles are rich, but probably fall off just a tad in the highs.

I can't tell you much about the Rikens, except that Slowpogo thinks that they are noticeably better than Kiwames. These days, the Stackpoles and Kiwames can be had for a few dimes each at the right store
wink.gif
wink.gif
, but Rikens are $2.70 - $4.50 each, plus shipping. That would temper my selection, but you're really the only one that can say whether they're worth the extra expense.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #4,691 of 6,727
Well now that I've got my second build done (took a while due to being busy with other projects) I'm going to start compiling parts for my 3rd build.

Can anyone recommend a good stepped attenuator? I'd rather not spend a small fortune on the part, but I don't want something cheap either.

I'm also considering a hifi2000 enclosure, but shipping costs for one case brings the total to more than I'd like. Anyone else interested in splitting shipping? Maybe if 2-3 more people want to order we could work something out. Of course, it would be easiest if we all lived somewhat close to each other...

May 6, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #4,692 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also considering a hifi2000 enclosure, but shipping costs for one case brings the total to more than I'd like. Anyone else interested in splitting shipping? Maybe if 2-3 more people want to order we could work something out. Of course, it would be easiest if we all lived somewhat close to each other...

Someone posted a link recently to a US company that imports a limited number of the Hifi2000 chassis. I can't find it right now and can't remember the name but that might be worth looking into.

May 6, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #4,695 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone posted a link recently to a US company that imports a limited number of the Hifi2000 chassis. I can't find it right now and can't remember the name but that might be worth looking into.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I know who that was
tongue.gif

that's going to be tight height wise. Tis a shame they don't have the 80mm high version. A single GX283 is $103.70 direct, the DS2480.18 from Teko, is shorter and is 74.39 plus shipping. The difference is $28 for a shorter case that would likely make the build more difficult since I find the Hammond enclosure a bit tight height wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back