New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
May 3, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #4,666 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after trying numerous combinations of LED/resiters I've come to the solution that the white LED's I originally purchased for a Max build just are bad.

So, can anyone suggest a good source for white LEDs?

Some of the guys have tried this seller and claim great success:

100 MEGA WHITE LED 3mm 14000mcd Free S/H - eBay (item 140226473570 end time May-21-08 01:02:03 PDT)

I've been thinking about purchasing a bunch of different colors from him for Beezar. I was curious about the exact wavelength on some of them and he replied very quickly.

May 4, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #4,667 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

100 MEGA WHITE LED 3mm 14000mcd Free S/H - eBay (item 140226473570 end time May-21-08 01:02:03 PDT)

I've been thinking about purchasing a bunch of different colors from him for Beezar. I was curious about the exact wavelength on some of them and he replied very quickly.

Those are going to be intensely bright since they are typically used as flashlight "bulbs" in sets of 3. If your looking for a very bright LED, they'll do the job. I have just one in little LED flashlight and I held the flashlight up to the bottom of my 12FM6 tube and the lower third is bright, bright white, but it doesn't really carry through the tube like the red LED in the same flashlight does. The wavelength is just too focused.

May 4, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #4,668 of 6,727
Quote:

unfortunately that's where I got these white LEDs from
frown.gif

May 4, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #4,669 of 6,727
Quote:

frown.gif

Oops. Any chance you exposed them to some over-voltage/current? I've burned some out back when I had the resistors sized for 1.2K on the MAX BOM. I fooled around with trying to get to 30V early in the prototyping stage and they burned out not too much later than that. I get the impression that they'll last forever if you put a decent safety factor in there, but if they get exposed to too much even for a short time, that may burn them out.

Or ... maybe that ebay seller is not as good as the guys think.
wink.gif

May 4, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #4,670 of 6,727
Quote:

frown.gif

LEDtronics.com has white LEDs, but their online ordering has minimum quantities and elevated prices. A friend of mine orders from LEDtronics direct in large quantities for work projects and he's the one who pointed me in their direction for another project (LED specialty lighting) of mine.

Here are their NY Distributors though, plus WESCO is their national distributor, so their should be a WESCO in Buffalo, NY. You'll have better luck with the MRO distributors who should sell you 10 or less.

Beyond Components, LLC OEM & MRO
14 Jet View Drive
Rochester, NY 14624
P: (585) 328-1880
P: Toll-Free (800) 971-4242
F: (585) 328-1886
E-mail: sales@beyondc.com

Just in Time Electronics OEM & MRO
1 Maxwell St.
E Rockaway, NY 11518
P: (516) 599-8705
P: Toll-Free (800) 922-5878
F: (516) 599-2647
E-mail: jitsales@optonline.net

Masline Electronics OEM
511 Clinton Ave. South
Rochester, NY 14620
P: (716) 546-5373
P: Toll-Free (800) 627-5463
F: (716) 546-2004
E-mail: glenn@masline.com

McMaster- Carr Supply Co. MRO

And for you Tom:

Beyond Components, LLC OEM & MRO
231 Arnold Mill Road, Suite 500
Woodstock, GA 30188
P: (678) 494-2020
P: Toll-Free (800) 971-4242
F: (678) 494-2259
E-mail: sales@beyondc.com

McMaster- Carr Supply Co. MRO
6100 Fulton Industrial Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30336-2852
P: (404) 346-7000
F: (404) 349-9091
E-mail: atl.sales@mcmaster.com

May 4, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #4,671 of 6,727
Quote:

Oops. Any chance you exposed them to some over-voltage/current? I've burned some out back when I had the resistors sized for 1.2K on the MAX BOM. I fooled around with trying to get to 30V early in the prototyping stage and they burned out not too much later than that. I get the impression that they'll last forever if you put a decent safety factor in there, but if they get exposed to too much even for a short time, that may burn them out.

Or ... maybe that ebay seller is not as good as the guys think.
wink.gif

I think it's more likely that he ships bulk, untested LEDs. The white LEDs have a very high fall out rate so it's entirely possible to receive 10 or 25 bad ones in a single lot if they weren't tested before shipment.

May 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #4,672 of 6,727
thanks for the help guys.

Yeah, I originally used the original BOM 1.2k resisters, the LEDs didn't see a voltage drop even w/ the LED and resister in the circuit. I tried diferent 1.2k resisters, and then popped in some 2k ones.

I got a pack of 10 or so and have only been able to get 1 of the LEDs to work.

well I went through the entire pack again today and was able to get 2 more to work. I threw out all the non-working ones, but now I have this max finished, just needs to be put int he case. it's been ready to go for like a month and a half save for the damn LEDs.

May 5, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #4,674 of 6,727
Quote:

thanks for the help guys.

Yeah, I originally used the original BOM 1.2k resisters, the LEDs didn't see a voltage drop even w/ the LED and resister in the circuit. I tried diferent 1.2k resisters, and then popped in some 2k ones.

I got a pack of 10 or so and have only been able to get 1 of the LEDs to work.

well I went through the entire pack again today and was able to get 2 more to work. I threw out all the non-working ones, but now I have this max finished, just needs to be put int he case. it's been ready to go for like a month and a half save for the damn LEDs.

Well, with your experience and the comments from Boilermakerfan, I've changed my mind about that ebay seller. It's a bit surprising because in the thread I started about finding a replacement for LSDiodes.com, several mentioned great experience with this guy.

That kind of reliability out of a pack of 10 is ridiculous. So, maybe pinkfloyd4ever's Super Bright LEDs is a much better choice.

May 5, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #4,675 of 6,727
Quote:

Well, with your experience and the comments from Boilermakerfan, I've changed my mind about that ebay seller. It's a bit surprising because in the thread I started about finding a replacement for LSDiodes.com, several mentioned great experience with this guy.

That kind of reliability out of a pack of 10 is ridiculous. So, maybe pinkfloyd4ever's Super Bright LEDs is a much better choice.

I really think it is the white LEDs, not red, green, blue, orange, etc. I worked for a electrical industrial controls manufacturer a few years ago and we were trying to launch the LED replacement bulbs for panel lights. The customers wanted white and we could never qualify any white LEDs at the time because none would have less than 50% failure within 100 hours. All the other available colors had MTBF of over 100,000 hours.

I would also be leery of the new pink LEDs for the time being and only purchase tested LEDs.

For stock purposes, try calling those two local distributors of LEDtronics too, I think their prices may be better than the web site.

EDIT: pinkfloyd4ever, thanks for that link! They have great prices on BA9 bayonet mounted 4-LED replacement bulbs. I need a few for my MAX builds to go into 22mm panel light mounts. $3 each is a steal!

May 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #4,676 of 6,727
Any experience with UV LEDs? Those are the ones that I burned out in referring to some of the posts awhile back. They were LSDiodes, but as I stated then - it seemed to me that I had overexposed them to too much voltage/current. I have one in an Alien DAC at much reduced current/voltage and it's lasted a good long while and is still going.

To be honest, I haven't tried a white LED, but was considering it for one of the JFET-MOSFET builds I've got in the queue.

May 5, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #4,677 of 6,727
Quote:

Any experience with UV LEDs? Those are the ones that I burned out in referring to some of the posts awhile back. They were LSDiodes, but as I stated then - it seemed to me that I had overexposed them to too much voltage/current. I have one in an Alien DAC at much reduced current/voltage and it's lasted a good long while and is still going.

To be honest, I haven't tried a white LED, but was considering it for one of the JFET-MOSFET builds I've got in the queue.

I haven't because they really do elevate your exposure to both A & B rays and LEDs are so intense you can do a lot of damage to your retinas before you even realize it. I won't even use them in my LED houseplant lights because I can't keep my kids away from them.

I'm really intrigued by the new pink LEDs though, but unfortunately they are only 5mm right now.

May 5, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #4,678 of 6,727
Anyone buy a kit from Jeff lately? (Glassjaraudio)
I bought and paid for a kit on April 1st, but nothing has arrived yet.
Granted i live in Norway, so shipping usually takes a while. But over a month is too long. From the US standard mail usually takes 10-12 days.
I asked Jeff on the 23rd, and he told me to just wait a little longer. Now he is not answering my e-mails.
I initially got a tracking number, but the Norwegian Postal service has no record of any package entering the country with that number.
Nor any package in my name. Any ideas on what i can do?

May 5, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #4,679 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas_K /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone buy a kit from Jeff lately? (Glassjaraudio)
I bought and paid for a kit on April 1st, but nothing has arrived yet.
Granted i live in Norway, so shipping usually takes a while. But over a month is too long. From the US standard mail usually takes 10-12 days.
I asked Jeff on the 23rd, and he told me to just wait a little longer. Now he is not answering my e-mails.
I initially got a tracking number, but the Norwegian Postal service has no record of any package entering the country with that number.
Nor any package in my name. Any ideas on what i can do?

Jeff's a good guy - I'm sure he'll respond eventually. Apparently, he must be trying to catch up on his stock after taking a break to do his taxes a couple of weeks ago.

If you refer to some of the posts in the Alien DAC thread, he's having to wait on some Mouser orders. The headphone jack could be causing a problem, too - there appears to be a worldwide shortage from Neutrik right now on the NMJ6HCD2. Mouser says they'll have more in on the 15th, but everyone else is about 10-12 weeks behind that.

Hopefully, he'll respond to you shortly and explain something similar to that, I'm guessing.

May 5, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #4,680 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't because they really do elevate your exposure to both A & B rays and LEDs are so intense you can do a lot of damage to your retinas before you even realize it. I won't even use them in my LED houseplant lights because I can't keep my kids away from them.

I'm really intrigued by the new pink LEDs though, but unfortunately they are only 5mm right now.

Yes, I've sort of read the same thing in different places. I doubt that I'll use any again, too - was just curious if you had an opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back