New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Mar 29, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #4,141 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to the who - Who's Next, it sounds just awesome, I did some of the panel work today, I am disappointed, I may have to widen the front panel jack, it is REALLY hard to plug in my headphones. the jack was lower than the hole (or vice versa), so it was tough to screw the outer part in, now I think I will just have to either get a file or... (this is bad but) take out the drill and drill into it at an angle. Also, because my drill has too small of a chuck for the right size bits, I can't drill the switch or power jack holes either. I might just have someone at work with a cnc mill do the work for me, I think I can just grab the autocad files off the site, anyway this weekend I think I'll get some pics taken so you can say it
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I posted it here a few days ago, but I am still looking for LEDs. I got a response, but he/she hasn't responded to my pms.
frown.gif
Anyone have any spare blue LEDs?

Marzie,
I've got you covered. Sorry for the slow response but I'll have them in the mail to you tomorrow.

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #4,142 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarensberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marzie,
I've got you covered. Sorry for the slow response but I'll have them in the mail to you tomorrow.

Hey, no problem that's awesome! Now I just can't wait to get my HD600s! I bet they'll sound awesome with this. Not that the DT770s are bad, I just think an open can, especially the 600 will pair nicely with the tubiness of the amp.

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #4,143 of 6,727
Quote:

Hey, no problem that's awesome! Now I just can't wait to get my HD600s! I bet they'll sound awesome with this. Not that the DT770s are bad, I just think an open can, especially the 600 will pair nicely with the tubiness of the amp.

Yes, it does - you are in for a treat.

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #4,145 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the 3422/1359 foward and slightly sharp in the upper midrange?

Slightly forward, perhaps, with reverberating bass punch/slam and cymbal crashes, but I wouldn't call them sharp in the least. I keep defaulting to Steinchen's descriptions, but he is largely accurate with most of these. For the 2SC3422/2SA1359, he states,

"strong bass, neutral to warm sound.
good choice if you prefer rocky sound with slam"

Note that he says neutral to warm - that's about as accurate as can be, and I've built 4 amps with them, dating back to the revMH Millett w/DB's. This Toshiba pair has always been my personal favorite, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #4,146 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes - Joneeboi is probably correct. You'll get up to 40mV or more with the trimmers at dead zero. If you only screwed them down 20 turns instead of 25 turns, then 70mV may still be OK.

I'm with Joneeboi - see if you can start adjusting upwards and they change accordingly - go 5-10mV at a time until you get to 90-100mV. Let it sit there for a few hours, checking it every once in awhile and listening to the sound. If all's well, then boost it up to 110mV - you're done!

They should be able to take 200mV for short periods. That's on the low side for MOSFETs, for instance, but we normally recommend 1-1/2" sinks in that case. Still, it's not that bad - assuming you don't find something wrong.

I finally got time to finish everything and... it works perfectly! "Another MAX lives!"

This is my second and I went with the boutique #1 build (BG, Vit Q, 2sc2238, 2SA968) and a blacked out case.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #4,147 of 6,727
I like how, when covered, you can see the leds especially bright in the tips, it actually looks like the tube is filled. I think I am boing to leave mine uncovered, though, to keep things nice and cool, and because I hate casework

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #4,148 of 6,727
Quote:

I finally got time to finish everything and... it works perfectly! "Another MAX lives!"

This is my second and I went with the boutique #1 build (BG, Vit Q, 2sc2238, 2SA968) and a blacked out case.

Nice work, John!! I bet those components sound very good!

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #4,149 of 6,727
Quote:

I like how, when covered, you can see the leds especially bright in the tips, it actually looks like the tube is filled. I think I am boing to leave mine uncovered, though, to keep things nice and cool, and because I hate casework

If you want that look you'll need tubes with side getters. If you don't know what that means look at the pictures of the tubes on beezar.com. The 12AE6 has the getter on top and the 12FK6 is on the side. I've found tubes of all types with side getters though.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #4,150 of 6,727
Quote:

If you want that look you'll need tubes with side getters. If you don't know what that means look at the pictures of the tubes on beezar.com. The 12AE6 has the getter on top and the 12FK6 is on the side. I've found tubes of all types with side getters though.

I would love to find a set of 12ae6 with side getters.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #4,153 of 6,727
Quote:

Perfect! I started with the 12FK6s and I think that's what I'm going to stick with.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #4,154 of 6,727
Quote:

Interesting ... the 12FK6 doesn't have a top getter? You know, I've never really thought about, but you may be right. I'll have to look through my stock and see if there is such a thing.

I'm certainly trying to find out more of the history of these things. Certainly as you say, the 12AE6A is commonly a side getter, but the 12AE6 seems to always be a top getter. The 12AE6 was the early version, while the 12AE6A was later. I think I've still seen later versions with top getters, though, but I will check. I don't know what the difference is between the 12AE6 and the 12AE6A, either. Bottom line, there's still a lot we don't know about these tubes.

The best source I've found on space-charge tube history is Jeff Duntemann's excellent web page:
Space Charge Tubes: Tube Projects Without Lethal Voltage!
He doesn't get into the details we're interested in with the Millett tubes, however.

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #4,155 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting ... the 12FK6 doesn't have a top getter? You know, I've never really thought about, but you may be right. I'll have to look through my stock and see if there is such a thing.

I'm certainly trying to find out more of the history of these things. Certainly as you say, the 12AE6A is commonly a side getter, but the 12AE6 seems to always be a top getter. The 12AE6 was the early version, while the 12AE6A was later. I think I've still seen later versions with top getters, though, but I will check. I don't know what the difference is between the 12AE6 and the 12AE6A, either. Bottom line, there's still a lot we don't know about these tubes.

The best source I've found on space-charge tube history is Jeff Duntemann's excellent web page:
Space Charge Tubes: Tube Projects Without Lethal Voltage!
He doesn't get into the details we're interested in with the Millett tubes, however.

I'll have to check my stock at work and see what have. I only have 6 sets of tubes at home. I think I've become a tubeaholic
biggrin.gif

If anybody is looking for 12FM6s, I recommend eBay My World - the-radio-tube-supply-company. I've purchased several sets of tubes from him. His stuff is all NOS. No guarantee that you'll get a matching set though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back