New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Mar 28, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #4,111 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I went back to retest because the site said "figure out whether the trimmers are operating correctly" so I went to check the resistances. I checked it initially and saw 1.2 ohms. at first I thought they might be bad, but 2 bad trimmers? So I started to adjust them and as I turned the trimmers, well I noticed something strange, I turned the trimmers "up" (clockwise) and saw the resistance increase...? Well I went and reread the site and discover that clockwise is down, not what I expected... Off to try again...
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I know the up, down terminology may be confusing, but I expected the mV to go "up" as I turned the trimmer clockwise, not the inverse... anyway, I'm gonna go change this.

Just to confuse you further
wink.gif
your description is correct for the tube trimmers - it's an artifact from how the original revMH Millett's operated. However, DB trimmers are always analogous to opening or closing flood gates, along with the right-hand rule, of course.

So bottom line, what you're saying is that you had hit bias limit at 350mV or 160ma!
eek.gif

Still, that would've been OK as long as you didn't let it run for more than a few moments.
wink.gif

Tell us what you get after you reset and re-measure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #4,112 of 6,727
I got around 30 on one side and about 40 on the other. I did the PS check then the tube bias, then adjusted both db to about 55. I am going to wait 5 mins, then go to 75 on one, 75 on the other. Then I will wait another 5 mins, go to 80, then 1/2 turn every 5 mins till 90, recheck all other settings, check the offset, then 1 hour listening with a db check every 10 mins, then 110 mV, followed by rechecking the ps and tubes, then some more listening then call it a night.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: yes, I only ran it for under 15 seconds each time at first.

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #4,113 of 6,727
Any advice on moving the max? Right now it's plugged in in the living room and I was thinking of moving it to the office where I have my dac and do most of my listening. What issues could this cause? My other option is to plug my dvd/sacd player into it and stay in the living room. I am speaking of just for tonight, at the end of the night its coming in here anyway.

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #4,114 of 6,727
Quote:

I got around 30 on one side and about 40 on the other. I did the PS check then the tube bias, then adjusted both db to about 55. I am going to wait 5 mins, then go to 75 on one, 75 on the other. Then I will wait another 5 mins, go to 80, then 1/2 turn every 5 mins till 90, recheck all other settings, check the offset, then 1 hour listening with a db check every 10 mins, then 110 mV, followed by rechecking the ps and tubes, then some more listening then call it a night.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: yes, I only ran it for under 15 seconds each time at first.

Sounds like you've got things well in hand, now - good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #4,116 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep it level when you move it, so you don't trip the mercury switch and cause it to explode. It'll be fine otherwise.

You weren't supposed to tell him about the tilt switch.
wink.gif

Seriously, as Fitz says - no problem. I take mine to work all the time. Just be careful about those tube tips - one reason I put roll bars on my cases.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #4,117 of 6,727
Quote:

Keep it level when you move it, so you don't trip the mercury switch and cause it to explode. It'll be fine otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just be careful about those tube tips - one reason I put roll bars on my cases.

LOL at those two posts! What movie was it that had a bomb with a mercury switch? I tried imdb but couldnt find it... maybe it was a tv show. Whenver I hear (or read) something that triggers a memory that I know was from childhood, I get nostolgic and try to find the source of the quote or scene or whatever.

I know yours wasn't meant to be funny, tomb, but I never thought of them as "roll bars" before. I picture your amp in an offroad race like a dune buggy, plowing over dirt hills and rolling, but low and behold! The tubes are safe!

Anyway, everything is going great, been listening to Raising sands for about 50 mins now, and it sounds great!! Thank you all (esp tomb) for your help! The board is wonderful and although I didn't put much thought to it before building, during the build I was more and more impressed with the layout of the board. It really is stunning how it looks before and after it is populated (more so after!
biggrin.gif
) but during the process of building, you get feel like this part belongs here, everything is orientated properly, there were no real points of confusion. I was a little worried reading the build instructions beforehand because it wasn't what I was used to. But during the build everything just sort of clicked. Thanks tomb for the excellent site, without it and the great pics, I would not have gotten through it with so few questions. Thanks to all the max builders for testing out the various configurations, etc. Thanks to Colin for the great design, and thanks again to tomb for beezar, which made ordering very easy (and once again for "fixing" all the mistakes with my order!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #4,118 of 6,727
Quote:

LOL at those two posts! What movie was it that had a bomb with a mercury switch? I tried imdb but couldnt find it... maybe it was a tv show. Whenver I hear (or read) something that triggers a memory that I know was from childhood, I get nostolgic and try to find the source of the quote or scene or whatever.

I was thinking of an episode of MacGyver when I wrote that. I forget how the situation was resolved though.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #4,119 of 6,727
Quote:

I was thinking of an episode of MacGyver when I wrote that. I forget how the situation was resolved though.

Quote from tv.com "But the mercury switch resists being frozen and the casing can't be opened without detonating it. They try to move the bomb to the elevator so it can explode in the basement but get trapped in the elevator with the bomb. With only a minute left, MacGyver strips wires from the elevator control panel and arcs them beneath the switch to destroy it before time runs out."

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #4,120 of 6,727
Now I managed to read the first 125 pages briefly before my eyes started bleeding, but I didn't see any info specifically relating to my question........ so hopefully this isn't just regurgitating a whole heap of stuff!

I'm keen on building this amp as my second DIY project. My previous project, an M^3 with S11, is just in the final wrapping up right now. I did this myself with hand-picked parts and showed little restraint; things like an expensive all-in-one IEC/fuse/switch/EMI filter, Amphenol connectors for the power umbilical, and a whole swag of different OPAMPs. The result was a good learning experience, but MUCH more expensive than I initially wanted - particularly after picking up various tools like a crimper and drill bits for case work. Also, I live in Australia and local parts sources are crap - so international shipping from AMB, Mouser and Digikey came very close to US$100.

So for the Millett Max, I was thinking of a kit to make things much easier and cheaper. Naturally, Jeff Rossel's kits came up. They seem to tick all the right boxes - 1000µF at CA2, Muze KZ at CA4,5,7 Wima films at CA3,6,8,9, Nichicon UPW in power supply, Vishay resistors in the signal path, Alps pot - without going completely nuts with rare, boutique parts. The kit seems to include everything except for RCA inputs and a volume knob, so I should be able to finish the shopping locally. My only significant issue would be the wallwart supplied for US use, because my local supply is 230V 50Hz.

So I guess my most important question for you folks is whether anybody knows of a better kit option for a relatively high end Millett Max?

I guess I'm also keen to know whether Jeff's kits have matched transistors, and whether I can dump/swap the wallwart...... I don't want to bother him with these more specific question until I have the cash ready to go......

Thanks people!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #4,121 of 6,727
A MacGyver MAX? I think it took MacGyver talent to build those amp boards that Fitz is displaying in the Post-Pics-of-Your-Build thread. Very nice work - everyone should go take a look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the kind comments, Marzie - and thanks, too, for describing what a wonderful design Colin has created with this board. As noted before, he doesn't always have time to post, but he always keeps current with reading this thread.

Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss? Boy, that thing has got some crusher bass, as much as I've heard in a long time - perfect for the MAX.
biggrin.gif

When you get a chance, post some pics so we can say the magic words.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #4,122 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I managed to read the first 125 pages briefly before my eyes started bleeding, but I didn't see any info specifically relating to my question........ so hopefully this isn't just regurgitating a whole heap of stuff!

<snip></snip>

Thanks people!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jeff is quite flexible in how he sells the kits, from what everyone has said. I'm speaking a bit for him, of course, but many people have stated that he will leave out certain parts and adjust the price if you want to order from other sources.

Swapping may be a bit difficult from his perspective, so I don't know that I'd ask him to do that - it might be a bit unfair to expect him to get something that he doesn't already stock - especially an Australian walwart or similar. BTW, someone has posted before and confirmed that his small transistors are all matched.

Take a look at Beezar, Parts Connexion, or Soniccraft and pick out what you want, then tell Jeff to leave those parts out and adjust accordingly. Or, as you say, get what you need locally. From everything I hear, you shouldn't have any problem doing that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #4,123 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it might be a bit unfair to expect him to get something that he doesn't already stock

Yes, realistically I wouldn't even ask unless it was specifically offered. Just leaving out the wallwart would be fine for me, because with a quick look it seems like I can get something locally quite easily:
Jaycar Electronics
Altronics - Your One Stop Electronics Shop
Considering the onboard LM317, I assume that unregulated is OK?

Quote:

Take a look at Beezar, Parts Connexion, or Soniccraft and pick out what you want, then tell Jeff to leave those parts out and adjust accordingly

You know, I really don't think that there is any other component that I would want to change from his kit. Like I said - he seems to tick all the boxes for a good build, without going too nuts. Unless you see something particularly offensive in there?
confused.gif

[EDIT] Actually, looking back to your website, it seems that Jeff's kit is the 'Can't Miss #5'......
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #4,124 of 6,727
Quote:

So I guess my most important question for you folks is whether anybody knows of a better kit option for a relatively high end Millett Max?

Get Jeff's kit and purchase some Black Gate NX caps, if you can find them and you will have your high-end Max.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #4,125 of 6,727
Are they *that* much better than the Muse KZ? Considering it would be the cost of the caps, AND another lot of international shipping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back