Feb 27, 2023 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

imthepope094

New Head-Fier
I am new here, didn't even know this place existed! Learned about it from a stray comment on /r/avexchange. Love the Headphone world and headphone market. Also love trying new things, been getting really into IEMs.

For those who care my gear consists of:

IEMs
Campfire Setsuna
Dunu SA6
Apple Airpods Pro 2

Headphones
HD8XX
Focal Clear
LCD-X
Grado SR80X

Dac/Amp
Schiit Modious
Schiit Magnius
Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies
Ifi GoBlu

Speakers
Focal Aria 905

Turntable
Orbit Uturn

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 5
I am new here, didn't even know this place existed! Learned about it from a stray comment on /r/avexchange. Love the Headphone world and headphone market. Also love trying new things, been getting really into IEMs.

For those who care my gear consists of:

IEMs
Campfire Setsuna
Dunu SA6
Apple Airpods Pro 2

Headphones
HD8XX
Focal Clear
LCD-X
Grado SR80X

Dac/Amp
Schiit Modious
Schiit Magnius
Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies
Ifi GoBlu

Speakers
Focal Aria 905

Turntable
Orbit Uturn
Nice, hope you enjoy the SA6. What are your thoughts on the 8XX?

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Nice, hope you enjoy the SA6. What are your thoughts on the 8XX?
TLDR is that are not for me.
I think they are a great headphone and I can see people loving them super spacious, detailed and linear bass. There is a hole in the Mids that I didn't mind to much at first. I think they would be perfect for video games, great for pinpointing sounds, or for setting the atmosphere in a survival horror game. Also think they would be great for action movies, the sub bass extention has a great rumble, <insert Michael Bay explosion joke>. While I think they benefit from the extra head room on an amp, I would say they can be run at "hear-able" levels from a dongle dac.
My biggest issue was the more and more I listened the more I felt like I was listening in an amphitheater with no other bodies in the room. For me the HD8XX series spaciousness is too much and too artificial. While I can still see that has being a benefit to some.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 5
TLDR is that are not for me.
I think they are a great headphone and I can see people loving them super spacious, detailed and linear bass. There is a hole in the Mids that I didn't mind to much at first. I think they would be perfect for video games, great for pinpointing sounds, or for setting the atmosphere in a survival horror game. Also think they would be great for action movies, the sub bass extention has a great rumble, <insert Michael Bay explosion joke>. While I think they benefit from the extra head room on an amp, I would say they can be run at "hear-able" levels from a dongle dac.
My biggest issue was the more and more I listened the more I felt like I was listening in an amphitheater with no other bodies in the room. For me the HD8XX series spaciousness is too much and too artificial. While I can still see that has being a benefit to some.
The 8XX is so echo-ey. They're not bad, but I didn't love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back