new member of team HD600
Apr 13, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by some1x
Looks like a renaissance for the HD600
600smile.gif

Naah... the 600s are perennial cans around here. They've never been a flavor of the month, because they're probably the main underlying flavor of the board (I'm sure I'll get some evil glares for saying that, but I really think so).

I was really surprised when the 650s didn't knock them off the market, but clearly one of the major virtues of the 600s are their price (which allows breathing room to get nice upgrade cables, a better amp, source, or whatever).
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
kidding, i really like the oehlbach,

it's simple, plain, black, resourceful and effective... in short, exactly what you'd expect when you hear the word "oehlbach"

I found the Oehlbach tends to have a "2d" quality with poor front-to-back imaging compared to the stock cable (i.e. quieter sounds sounding further back on stage, louder sounds toward the front of the stage) -- but I seem to be the only person to feel this way.

Apr 13, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #32 of 43
Don't worry. My experience has shown H/K headphone outs to be particularly awful. For example, the headphone output on my $500 H/K CD player is awful compared to the headphone out on my low-end Sony home theater receiver.

Quote:

Originally posted by screwdriver

I was so curious of the sound that i plugged it in the headphone out of a hometheater receiver (harman kardon avr 8000) and it sounded not too good . i hope the MPX3 puts some life into the senns hd600.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #33 of 43
Yeah, HD580/HD600/HD650 do not work well with typical theater headphone jacks. Although it depends on what one consider as acceptable sound. I found the bass to be lacking, grainy and sound too analytical/harsh from Home theater amp's jack. They sound their best through dedicated headphone amp (better yet, tube-based amp).

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #34 of 43
I think what HD580/600/650s need more than anything else is near-zero output impedance at the jack. It makes an amazing difference with these cans, particularly in how tight the bass is (higher impedance = loose, uncontrolled bass). Also, I personally like an excess of power available... these cans aren't too sensitive to hiss and such, but are very sensitive to being underdriven... better to have too much power available than too little.

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #36 of 43
Just got notice my HD600s arrived here... but being this an import from USA, now I have to go wrestle with unsurmountable import tariffs, hostile customs, and what not...
mad.gif

Not that I'm surprised - that's standard procedure for anything electronics-related, but it always sucks all the same. However, that was the only way to get them at a good price - unless I were going to travel all the way to USA to get them. That would probably be cheaper
mad.gif

anyways, I'll keep you posted if I'm lucky enough to have them on my hands soon.

Apr 13, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #37 of 43
Enjoy sleepkyng!

I'm waiting until I get my PPA and DAC before I pass judgement, but they sound awesome off my Yamaha HT reciever..

I plan on trying each component one at a time (600's, then 600's amped,600's + amp + DAC, then add the Oehlbachs) to see which components do what with the sound, so I'll know for good and all..

Apr 14, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by doug zdanivsky
I plan on trying each component one at a time (600's, then 600's amped,600's + amp + DAC, then add the Oehlbachs) to see which components do what with the sound, so I'll know for good and all..

Excellent idea that will allow you to ID which component added what, and what change the cables make. I'll be awaiting the post on how these sound Doug.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #40 of 43
Just got my HD600 and Cardas today!

I'll need to spend two weeks of quality time with these phones
wink.gif
but I intend to do a comparison/review with the MS1s using a pimeta and revo7.1 (mostly classical music)

I'm getting very strong simbilance with U2-with or without you
confused.gif
(could it be my canare diy ics.. but the MS1 doesn't show this simbilance)? Brahms' Piano Concerto #2 has never sounded better to my ears tho
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by some1x
Just got my HD600 and Cardas today!

I'll need to spend two weeks of quality time with these phones
wink.gif
but I intend to do a comparison/review with the MS1s using a pimeta and revo7.1 (mostly classical music)

I'm getting very strong simbilance with U2-with or without you
confused.gif
(could it be my canare diy ics.. but the MS1 doesn't show this simbilance)? Brahms' Piano Concerto #2 has never sounded better to my ears tho
biggrin.gif

I'd definitely give them some time to break in. When I first got mine they were harsh up-top, light on bass and rather incoherent (in fact the sonic signature reminded me of the HD280 before break-in, except not as bad), but they started coming around pretty fast... I'd give 'em about 10 hours of use to start mellowing out on top, then they just keep getting better.

Apr 15, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

I'll be awaiting the post on how these sound Doug.

You'll be the first with the results, Doug!

Quote:

will you ascend the stairs to headfi glory with me, comrade?

In a word, Da!
biggrin.gif

Let the games begin!
smily_headphones1.gif

PS.. Got my Amp and DAC today!!

But who knew the linch-pin in my set-up would be the soundcard.. I still have to wait until May until I can buy my Audigy 2 ZS with my new computer..
very_evil_smiley.gif

I guess I could by some cheap interconnects in the mean time..

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I'd definitely give them some time to break in. When I first got mine they were harsh up-top, light on bass and rather incoherent (in fact the sonic signature reminded me of the HD280 before break-in, except not as bad), but they started coming around pretty fast... I'd give 'em about 10 hours of use to start mellowing out on top, then they just keep getting better.

I am passing precisely through that phase - finally got my used 600's AND a new Zu Mobius cable... I still have like 100 hours to go before I get to that "pee-on-your-pants" sound I'm longing for...

Who said patience is a virtue?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back