New Member Introduction!
Jan 20, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Inquisitor

New Head-Fier
Well I figured I'm a new register here on the forums. Thought I'd introduce myself. Name is Derek, but using my screen name is just fine. I'm new to the world of TRUE audiophiles. Ever since I was a young kid walking around with my walkman and cassettes I've complained that headphones just sucked. I could never seem to find anything that sounded decent. Of course, I was young and thought that the only headphones out there were at Albertsons, Fred Meyer, KMart... etc lol

As I grew up I found a few better options but I'd resigned myself to thinking that you just couldn't get good headphones, that it was somehow limited by the nature of the size and form. So for years I've just bought the best headphones I could find at various Sam Goody's and other music shops.

My ignorance went so far as this last year. I was in Iraq, desperately looking for some good headphones. When I heard from someone that skullcandy's were good. So I ordered a pair of Hesh's (which I maintain are still probably the best of their entire product line, however poor that is) and was amazed at the output volume more than anything. For once I had good bass from a portable. They lasted me through the end of Iraq but at some point the cable's internal wiring separated.

At that point I bought a pair of Turtle Beach Ear Force X1's (for $7! someone returned them to the Gamestop I'm working at!) mostly for gaming and laptop listening (given, it requires a USB to run) . They've suited me alright but I've been needing something that I can use in my Zune as well.

So last night, while browsing Skullcandy's webpage, I said to myself, I wonder what dedicated audiophiles have to say about the different skullcandys...Which is when I stumbled on your site. At first I was irritated at how badly Skullycandys were being bashed in the various forums. So I went and found my Hesh's plugged em in to compare to my Turtle Beach. (If I tweak the cord a certain way the Skullcandys still work) I was amazed. My gaming headset Turtle Beach's blew the skullcandys away.

It was at that point that I stopped silently arguing with the views of the experts here, and started really listening. So now I stand at the threshold. A true audiophile at heart, I've owned and sold through numerous stereo systems and owned damn near every generation of MP3 player (starting around... 16mb? 32mb? I don't remember, old Diamond Rio stuff), I've got 2 turntables and a mixer (Stanton I think it is, broken stylii, havent used em for years) which, now that I think about it, came with the best pair of headphones I've ever owned... but drunk and spinning one night they dropped on the floor and got crushed underfoot.
frown.gif

I'm here to listen and learn.
darthsmile.gif
And I'm about to buy a set of headphones online. I'm not sure which one just yet, I'll make another post detailing that decision. But since I've made the decision to join in on this forum, I figured I should introduce myself properly.
k701smile.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 24
And that you did. I'm lucky I live in the age of the computer and get the opinions of experts. They haven't failed me yet, except for maybe my A500s
atsmile.gif
Sorry to the AT lovers here. Skullcandys were what made me find this forum a year ago, so in that respect, I both love and hate them.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 24
Where in Utah are you located? Near Salt Lake? I had started a thread a couple of months ago, asking if there were any Head-Fi members in Idaho, Utah, and surrounding states. Needless to say, there were very few responses! During the summer months this past year, I spent quite a bit of time in Idaho Falls in particular. Nice country!

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 24
Welcome aboard, the members here will help wedge your wallet open and get you into audio bliss
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 24
I like this introduction, welcome aboard!

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where in Utah are you located? Near Salt Lake?

Yeah just north of Salt Lake City. From what I can tell, there are no shops that sell quality headphones. The only custom/high end audio stuff is all home entertainment installation. Luckily the internet is here to save me.

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 24
Glad to see another Utahn finding this place!

If you're in or near the SLC area (seems so from the Sam Goody mention unless you're in St. George), send me a PM ("private message" in case you're unfamiliar with forums). I think it's sometimes easier having someone local around who's already done some diving into a subject to help you get your bearings rather than totally going blind on the internet (Although I have to admit Head-Fi is probably the most civilized internet forum I've ever frequented, and most users here give rather helpful advice).

Either way, welcome! Sorry about your wallet (because it will soon be empty and yelling at you)!

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquisitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah just north of Salt Lake City. From what I can tell, there are no shops that sell quality headphones. The only custom/high end audio stuff is all home entertainment installation. Luckily the internet is here to save me.

Welcome to Head-Fi!

When things warm up a little, how about a road trip to Bozeman, MT? You might be able to pay a visit to HeadRoom and try out some different gear.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #13 of 24
Welcome to Head-Fi! Your past experience in stereos might tell you this is one of those bottom-less pit 'hobbies', not only in terms of what you can buy, but also what you can make. It will take up a significant chunk of your life if you're not careful. Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. There's no getting off...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 24
Welcome... You have just sacrificed your Audio Dignity and your wallet! To be tormented forever!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back