New member from France search the best Headphones
May 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #106 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbretzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok but it's possible to be happy with my headphones without equalizer ?
biggrin.gif

no ???

I've been happy with many headphones and never used an equalizer. But you never know, different people have different preferences.

To be more precise: I do use a (semi-parametric) equalizer when I'm on the go, namely the one built in my iAudio 7. And it is very useful with portable headphones (PX 100) and IEMs (ER-4P, Audéo). If there was a decent (= parametric) equalizer in my digital player or the Symphony, maybe I would make use of it, too. On the other hand, high-quality home headphones have clearly minor frequency-response flaws – at least the ones I have.

May 20, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #107 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been happy with many headphones and never used an equalizer. But you never know, different people have different preferences.

To be more precise: I do use a (semi-parametric) equalizer when I'm on the go, namely the one built in my iAudio 7. And it is very useful with portable headphones (PX 100) and IEMs (ER-4P, Audéo). If there was a decent (= parametric) equalizer in my digital player or the Symphony, maybe I would make use of it, too. On the other hand, high-quality home headphones have clearly minor frequency-response flaws – at least the ones I have.

I have a SONY NWZ-A815 mp3 player, which has an equalizer.
I don't want to use it with my DT880, but one day I think I'll buy a portable headphones amp.
but, today I just want to listen to my CDs with my SONY HiFi AMP.
I hope the sound will please me.

May 24, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #109 of 147
not received yet......
triportsad.gif

I'm still waiting for my cans.....

I'll post my review when I have them
wink.gif

May 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #110 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By now, you should have received your Beyer, what do you think of them ?

I've just received my new cans !!!!

well constructed, robust, and sooooooooooo comfortable !!!

but..... what a deception........
ph34r.gif

It's a poor sound....flat, boring.....
no bass.... It's flat like if they were fake !!
I think I just can hear something between 500hz and 13khz....
frown.gif

I know that I must burn in them, but it's so......... sad...

please, tell me that they'll be fantastic afer burning in....
ph34r.gif

May 26, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #111 of 147
Sorry to read about your initial disappointment!

Quote:

Please, tell me that they'll be fantastic after burning in....
ph34r.gif

Yes, they will (possibly). Break-in can only do so much, though, and the bass wasn't overly affected by it as I recall. But likely you will get accustomed to the «flat» sound. Remember that «flat» can also mean linear. I guess you have to get rid of your former V300 reference (figuratively and literally). Plus the old signature.

May 26, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #112 of 147
Quote:

I've just received my new cans !!!!

well constructed, robust, and sooooooooooo comfortable !!!

ph34r.gif

frown.gif

ph34r.gif

Return them quickly while you still can or you will have pissed away that money. Burn-in will never change a headphone that much. You seem to like music with a lot of bass. I voted for the DT990. Also as you are using no amp, I would recommend the 32 Ohm 990 from Moon-Audio. Your Integrated/receiver will drive them much better than the 250 Ohm version and that will increase sound quality. Do you want a well driven headphone or an underamped headphone? Your comments are based in part on the fact that the 880 is a neutral headphone that is not really suited for your type of music and also because they are 250 Ohm and they are too much for the headphone jack on your stereo to drive properly. See what I mean?

http://www.moon-audio.com/Beyerdynamic%20Headphones.htm<~~32 Ohms my friend.

Another solution is to go to Beyers website and order them custom at 32 Ohm. http://www.beyerdynamic.de/en/consum...anufaktur.html

May 26, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #113 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Return them quickly while you still can or you will have pissed away that money. Burn-in will never change a headphone that much. You seem to like music with a lot of bass. I voted for the DT990. Also as you are using no amp, I would recommend the 32 Ohm 990 from Moon-Audio. Your Integrated/receiver will drive them much better than the 250 Ohm version and that will increase sound quality. Do you want a well driven headphone or an underamped headphone? Your comments are based in part on the fact that the 880 is a neutral headphone that is not really suited for your type of music and also because they are 250 Ohm and they are too much for the headphone jack on your stereo to drive properly. See what I mean?

Beyerdynamic Headphones<~~32 Ohms my friend.

Another solution is to go to Beyers website and order them custom at 32 Ohm. MANUFAKTUR

thank you for the advice, but I really think my amp is strong enough to drive my 250 ohms cans, and 32 ohms are too easy driven cans for me. I don't need a very high listening level, I just want clear, neutral but entire frequency range working cans.
you see what I mean ?
I'll burn in them for a hundred hours, and after that I'll be able to review these "great" cans...

May 26, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #114 of 147
Quote:

Return them quickly while you still can or you will have pissed away that money. Burn-in will never change a headphone that much.

Agree 100%!!!

Why did I have a premonition a "regret" post was coming?
tongue.gif

I think you should stay away from beyers for your tastes, though. Unless you do really want a lot of bass. They have very recessed mids, and would be my last choice for all the acoustic music you listed!

Tried to steer you to the MS-1s, $99/$109 shipped -- the last thing those can be described as is "boring!" maybe too bright for your tastes, and bass isn't what it does (though there is pretty good punchy bass) and they have a very even sound throughout the entire frequency range. For rock and acoustic and chill, they are great! The sound is airy and very alive. Acoustic guitars are simply amazing. I can wear them for a couple of hours before my ears start to itch slightly from the foam. Then just take a break for a minute, and you're good for another few hours. Otherwise, you hardly know they're on. But don't listen and get beyers again - it's up to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #115 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to read about your initial disappointment!

Yes, they will (possibly). Break-in can only do so much, though, and the bass wasn't overly affected by it as I recall. But likely you will get accustomed to the «flat» sound. Remember that «flat» can also mean linear. I guess you have to get rid of your former V300 reference (figuratively and literally). Plus the old signature.

yes, I hope so.
I've never thought about my V300 as reference
jecklinsmile.gif

they're too bassy and no high range...
just for techno lovers not like me....
smile.gif

do you think I must buy a burn in CD like "IsoTek Burn-In CD" or I just have to play all kind of music for about 100 hours.... ?

what about pink noise and other artificial sounds like that to burn in my cans ?

which is your favorite method ?

May 26, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #116 of 147
Quote:

Do you think I must buy a burn in CD like "IsoTek Burn-In CD" or I just have to play all kind of music for about 100 hours.... ?

what about pink noise and other artificial sounds like that to burn in my cans ?

which is your favorite method ?

I use bass-heavy music and play it very loud on repeat mode. There's no need for special signals, membrane displacement/travel is the most important factor, which is best served for with lots of low frequencies with high amplitudes.

When you press the earpieces against your head, does the bass get stronger? Earpad softening is the most apparent break-in effect with the K 701/702: the drivers getting closer to the ears lead to an increase of low frequencies (mainly due to minimized phase cancellations, as it's an open design). The DT 880 is just semi-open, but may show a similar behavior nonetheless.

I wouldn't recommend low-impedance headphones to be driven by receivers' headphone jacks. They're infamous for high output impedances. Which means you would indeed get a lot of bass – but what kind of bass! A massive accentuation of the driver resonance, i.e. a midbass hump.

Well, if nothing helps, returning the DT 880 against a bass-friendlier headphone such as the DT 990 (600 ohm?) would be an option worth considering.

May 26, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #117 of 147
ok, thank you, I'll try with bassy music for 100 hours....
I'll see....
wink.gif

May 26, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #118 of 147
Quote:

thank you for the advice, but I really think my amp is strong enough to drive my 250 ohms cans, and 32 ohms are too easy driven cans for me. I don't need a very high listening level, I just want clear, neutral but entire frequency range working cans.
you see what I mean ?
I'll burn in them for a hundred hours, and after that I'll be able to review these "great" cans...

So get the 990 at 250 Ohm, your fooling yourself if you think burn-in will alter the sound of those headphones enough to compensate for this:

Quote:

May 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #119 of 147
Quote:

So get the 990 at 250 Ohm, your fooling yourself if you think burn-in will alter the sound of those headphones enough to compensate for this:

after reading lots of things about burn in headphones here, I think I must burn in them and "let them a chance"....

after that, I'll see if I return them...
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #120 of 147
ahhh!! sucks, man..

buying headphones w/o auditioning them is a nasty gamble...
try to go to a big city next time? Paris maybe?

last time I bought headphones blindly, these were the Proline750....I've learned my lesson, I can tell you that
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back