New Member, advice request, dap help
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

over50

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I want to buy a new portable dac/amp. I have an iPod touch version 6 for my car. I have an old apple click wheel that works hooked up to an amp, cant rember the name. The click wheel is so old its blocked. So, i still use it but cant add music to it. I cant believe it still runs. Last year I bought a Sony NW A55. It is too small and i cant read the screen. The library is NOT to my liking.

Now, i used Beyerdynamics dt990 edition. Perfect my home listening. All my in ear headphones are inexpensive.

I am not stateside and have limited access to all brands. For example, HIBY isnt avial at all here. Also, I have to buy all online, due to not one store selling anything nice.

In short:

I dont have quality sound requirements.
I need power for volume, I am getting old.
I need a big screen, still getting old
I need memory on board, and or TB card insert possibilities
Android is preferred
Wifi and bluetooth, as well
I dont want a dongle for my phone. Separation is needed. Respect the disconnect.

i can could spend around 1k. But dont think it’s necessary. The charts ive seen have steered me to the Shanling M7, Ibasso dx240 and maybe a Fiio m11 ess. However, I am flying blind.

An important note: I dont need streaming apps. So, any advice could include a great player with a solid amp and crappy streaming.

Anyone able to give some points/advice?

Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 18
Welcome to Headfi. I can't help you regarding a media player although usually most people wouldn't need to spend 1K on one (depending on currency). I am sure there will be many 'audiophile' media players with big batteries and powerful amplifiers to 'drive' high impedance dynamics and low impedance planars. I could tell you a little about Beyerdynamic's DT990 although again I've never owned one but in my research into their DT880 model I found out quite alot about them. You could search some threads on the Portable or Dedicated Source Components forums. Your DT990 is either 32Ω, 250Ω or 600Ω and this would be a major consideration in a portable media player (the PRO model has different impedances as far as I know (which isn't far)). Anyway welcome to the mad world of audio.

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 18
Welcome to Headfi. I can't help you regarding a media player although usually most people wouldn't need to spend 1K on one (depending on currency). I am sure there will be many 'audiophile' media players with big batteries and powerful amplifiers to 'drive' high impedance dynamics and low impedance planars. I could tell you a little about Beyerdynamic's DT990 although again I've never owned one but in my research into their DT880 model I found out quite alot about them. You could search some threads on the Portable or Dedicated Source Components forums. Your DT990 is either 32Ω, 250Ω or 600Ω and this would be a major consideration in a portable media player (the PRO model has different impedances as far as I know (which isn't far)). Anyway welcome to the mad world of audio.
Will do, thank you.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 18
I did a search. Found so many many threads. I think im going to unsubscribe. Thanks for your input.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 18
From what I know there should be a big choice of media players as not everyone wants to go down the DAC/AMP route. Ones that can give plenty of volume for high impedance headphones will be expensive. Although the trend in headphone design is now towards low impedance (excluding planar magnetic). Beyerdynamic have their new PRO X series which are lower impedance and not as bright that might be worth looking into. Audio really is a child’s sweet shop and you’ll never run out of sweets.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 18
From what I know there should be a big choice of media players as not everyone wants to go down the DAC/AMP route. Ones that can give plenty of volume for high impedance headphones will be expensive. Although the trend in headphone design is now towards low impedance (excluding planar magnetic). Beyerdynamic have their new PRO X series which are lower impedance and not as bright that might be worth looking into. Audio really is a child’s sweet shop and you’ll never run out of sweets.
I know. That’s a point that a was leading up to. I’m trying to figure out which media player has the best amp for a good price since my listening requirements aren’t high. I wrote 1 k But i am sure for much less i can find the perfect one…..

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 18
I know. That’s a point that a was leading up to. I’m trying to figure out which media player has the best amp for a good price since my listening requirements aren’t high. I wrote 1 k But i am sure for much less i can find the perfect one…..
I just went to the Beyerdynamic site….the pro x series is for: „best suited for professional recording and monitoring“. Ill stick to my dt990s

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 18
Hello all.

I want to buy a new portable dac/amp. I have an iPod touch version 6 for my car. I have an old apple click wheel that works hooked up to an amp, cant rember the name. The click wheel is so old its blocked. So, i still use it but cant add music to it. I cant believe it still runs. Last year I bought a Sony NW A55. It is too small and i cant read the screen. The library is NOT to my liking.

Now, i used Beyerdynamics dt990 edition. Perfect my home listening. All my in ear headphones are inexpensive.

I am not stateside and have limited access to all brands. For example, HIBY isnt avial at all here. Also, I have to buy all online, due to not one store selling anything nice.

In short:

I dont have quality sound requirements.
I need power for volume, I am getting old.
I need a big screen, still getting old
I need memory on board, and or TB card insert possibilities
Android is preferred
Wifi and bluetooth, as well
I dont want a dongle for my phone. Separation is needed. Respect the disconnect.

i can could spend around 1k. But dont think it’s necessary. The charts ive seen have steered me to the Shanling M7, Ibasso dx240 and maybe a Fiio m11 ess. However, I am flying blind.

An important note: I dont need streaming apps. So, any advice could include a great player with a solid amp and crappy streaming.

Anyone able to give some points/advice?

Thanks
if you don't really care about insane audio quality, then all of these are overkill in the extreme, you'd be better off getting a cheaper dap, maybe an older one ofn the second hand market

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #13 of 18
Welcome to HeadFi.
I first started down this portable hifi road a few years back with my old Oppo phone and bought an Oppo HA2 amplifier which was good enough to run all my headphones at the time - dt770 pro (250ohm), both my Sennheiser hd800 and hd820 (300ohm), Z7's, Audeze, Oppo pm2 and a couple of Grado's (but they were much lower impedance and easy to drive).
Note, these were my headphones I would listen to at home so wanted something that could power them so I could take one on holiday and enjoy listening to in the evening rather than a "commuter" type headphone. (For commuting I just use a decent noise cancelling type one)

I think the HA2 amplifier can be had for a reasonable sum now. I had a clear out and old mine last year for 150gbp posted so would think you would pay less than that now.

I've found that to run higher impedance headphones the DAP of choice should have a balanced jack output and the you'll need the headphone cable to go with that size.
E.g. I run a wm1z which outputs 60mW@16ohm per channel from the 3.5mm jack but increases to 250mW@16ohm per channel from the 4.4mm balanced jack output. There is also a high gain function for a boost. On the 4.4mm jack I found it ran my hd800 just fine but was weak on the 3.5mm jack. Planar headphones I used to own would need maxed out volume too.

So, in my opinion, you'll need to find a DAP that outputs more than 200-250mW@16ohm per channel through it's output jack. Some manufacturers may show this specification as 2 x 250mW@16ohm or 500mW@16ohm or just say max. power output 500mW - or something like that.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 18
Welcome to HeadFi.
I first started down this portable hifi road a few years back with my old Oppo phone and bought an Oppo HA2 amplifier which was good enough to run all my headphones at the time - dt770 pro (250ohm), both my Sennheiser hd800 and hd820 (300ohm), Z7's, Audeze, Oppo pm2 and a couple of Grado's (but they were much lower impedance and easy to drive).
Note, these were my headphones I would listen to at home so wanted something that could power them so I could take one on holiday and enjoy listening to in the evening rather than a "commuter" type headphone. (For commuting I just use a decent noise cancelling type one)

I think the HA2 amplifier can be had for a reasonable sum now. I had a clear out and old mine last year for 150gbp posted so would think you would pay less than that now.

I've found that to run higher impedance headphones the DAP of choice should have a 4.4mm jack output and the you'll need the headphone cable to go with that.
E.g. I run a wm1z which outputs 60mW@16ohm per channel from the 3.5mm jack but increases to 250mW@16ohm per channel from the 4.4mm jack output. There is also a high gain function for a boost. On the 4.4mm jack I found it ran my hd800 just fine but was weak on the 3.5mm jack. Planar headphones I used to own would need maxed out volume too.

So, in my opinion, you'll need to find a DAP that outputs more than 200-250mW@16ohm per channel through it's output jack. Some manufacturers may show this specification as 2 x 250mW@16ohm or 500mW@16ohm or just say max. power output 500mW - or something like that.
Ok, you got a Dap in mind? I have no way of finding one like that.

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 18
Those ibasso daps with interchangeable amp modules look an interesting concept - dx200/220/240/300/320 series - and look to have plenty of power. The standard AMP1 mk3 module on that dx240 has a 2.5mm balanced output that has a power output of 878mW@32ohm and the 3.5mm jack about 280mW@32ohm. Looks plenty.

I'm sure an ibasso user can weigh in or a search on this forum for owners of these DAPs for real-world feedback before investing in one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back