New McIntosh MHA200 Headphone amp
Jul 11, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #481 of 632
From any “Authorized” McIntosh dealer.
No online sales? There is no McIntosh dealers where I live. Via the McIntosh labs website states:

For the protection of consumers, authorized McIntosh dealers are PROHIBITED FROM SELLING MHA200 AS NEW ONLINE OR BY MAIL OR PHONE. If you are considering purchase of this product online or by mail or phone, you risk purchasing from an unauthorized seller or receiving a used product, either of which will void the manufacturer’s warranty.

dose this statement pertain to a used item?

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #482 of 632
No online sales? There is no McIntosh dealers where I live. Via the McIntosh labs website states:

For the protection of consumers, authorized McIntosh dealers are PROHIBITED FROM SELLING MHA200 AS NEW ONLINE OR BY MAIL OR PHONE. If you are considering purchase of this product online or by mail or phone, you risk purchasing from an unauthorized seller or receiving a used product, either of which will void the manufacturer’s warranty.

dose this statement pertain to a used item?
Only a very few dealers are McIntosh authorized for online sales. We are one of them. That said, someone at McIntosh has decided this is one of the many items that shouldn’t be sold online. At least not yet. We are still at a loss as to why we can’t put it on our online stores.
There is no rule that says you can’t purchase by proxy. Example: a relative or friend near a McIntosh authorized dealer could make the purchase on your behalf and have that proxy send it to you. As long as it’s in your name the warranty service would remain intact.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 11, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #483 of 632
Only a very few dealers are McIntosh authorized for online sales. We are one of them. That said, someone at McIntosh has decided this is one of the many items that shouldn’t be sold online. At least not yet. We are still at a loss as to why we can’t put it on our online stores.
There is no rule that says you can’t purchase by proxy. Example: a relative or friend near a McIntosh authorized dealer could make the purchase on your behalf and have that proxy send it to you. As long as it’s in your name the warranty service would remain intact.
Well that sucks! Hopefully McIntosh will reconsider, maybe it’s an inventory control issue. Thanks for your information, keep us posted if things change.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #484 of 632
Hey! I’m new here but reading this thread and watching the TSAV review on YouTube solidified my decision to purchase an MHA-200 so I decided to join. The MHA-200 was a clear choice IMO because it is an amp only and should basically never be obsolete vs an integrated or other combo. 🤷‍♂️

I have mine on order from my dealer and it’s about a month and a half out. I have a car audio background but I’m new to headphones so I’m hoping to get some tips. I need to order cables and a DAC/Streamer

I got here (headphones) by finally trying out a DAP (A&K SE100). For headphones I have some HD6XX and recently got Focal Elegias. I am looking for advice on what DAC type I need to get the most out of my MHA-200. Does it need balanced XLR out? Should I be using balanced out of my A&K? I mostly stream now so I’m looking at something like a BlueSound Node unless that’s a stupid decision for some reason. Thanks for your advice!

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #485 of 632
Hey! I’m new here but reading this thread and watching the TSAV review on YouTube solidified my decision to purchase an MHA-200 so I decided to join. The MHA-200 was a clear choice IMO because it is an amp only and should basically never be obsolete vs an integrated or other combo. 🤷‍♂️

I have mine on order from my dealer and it’s about a month and a half out. I have a car audio background but I’m new to headphones so I’m hoping to get some tips. I need to order cables and a DAC/Streamer

I got here (headphones) by finally trying out a DAP (A&K SE100). For headphones I have some HD6XX and recently got Focal Elegias. I am looking for advice on what DAC type I need to get the most out of my MHA-200. Does it need balanced XLR out? Should I be using balanced out of my A&K? I mostly stream now so I’m looking at something like a BlueSound Node unless that’s a stupid decision for some reason. Thanks for your advice!
Can your AK SE100 do Streaming?
If it does than try it out to see if you like the sound or not. Does not cost extra yet.....

I may buy MHA200 later, Saving money now, and use my DX220MAX LO to stream with Quobuz as my bedroom set. Will test out with spare WA6SE tube amp and see if I like the sound.....
Downstair, I will test Optic Out to PrimaLuna Tube Dac, ALO Studio Six hp tube amp to stream Quobuz also....
Looking into Auralic Aries G1 Streamer or Innuous Zen mk3 Server but expensive too.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #486 of 632
Thanks and yes my SE100 does streaming no problem and I am thinking of starting there. In the long run I would like to find something like the Node so I’m not needing to connect the A&K when I want to listen at home.

Do you have any thoughts on balanced? Do I need balanced in to get balanced out? Is there a benefit to balanced with something like my Focals?

Can your AK SE100 do Streaming?
If it does than try it out to see if you like the sound or not. Does not cost extra yet.....

I may buy MHA200 later, Saving money now, and use my DX220MAX LO to stream with Quobuz as my bedroom set. Will test out with spare WA6SE tube amp and see if I like the sound.....
Downstair, I will test Optic Out to PrimaLuna Tube Dac, ALO Studio Six hp tube amp to stream Quobuz also....
Looking into Auralic Aries G1 Streamer or Innuous Zen mk3 Server but expensive too.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #487 of 632
Thanks and yes my SE100 does streaming no problem and I am thinking of starting there. In the long run I would like to find something like the Node so I’m not needing to connect the A&K when I want to listen at home.

Do you have any thoughts on balanced? Do I need balanced in to get balanced out? Is there a benefit to balanced with something like my Focals?
Well, running balanced cables are always a tad better than unbalanced but can be expensive.
I start with unbalanced first which I did at first.

I have Utopia and HE1000SE now using Studio Six unbalanced In/out.
WA6SE unbalanced in/out.
DX220MAX 4.4mm balanced.

I have DHC Comp4 silver hp cable with ( Reconnected from original 6.3mm ) 4 pin XLR, 4.4mm adapter out or 6.3mm adapter out.. Lemo + adapter out to 3.5 mm hp connectors to HE1000SE or back to Lemo Utopia.

Maybe upgrade to DHC Prion 4 hp cable later if I really want but expensive too.

It's really hard to decide right now...
It's like mini mini mini mo for me.

Save your money first then decide later on.....if you want to go to Balanced route later on, more money 💰.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #489 of 632
Thanks Jason, I saw in one of your videos you had mentioned an explanation coming of connection types, scenarios and what the effects were with the MHA200, do you have info in this space you can share from your experience with the product?

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #490 of 632
We are about to do another online Q&A with Ken Zelin from McIntosh about the MHA200. This way you can hear from them what their thoughts are and of course I’ll be answering and interjecting. I think that YouTube will happen a week from this coming Saturday. If you’d like information in the meantime just call me @ 310-534-9900 (California) and I’d be happy to answer any questions I can.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 15, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #493 of 632
Here is my setup, I am currently running from laptop to SP2000 then TOSLINK
80811A58-3579-43F2-9A59-FBC6FA2F86B7.jpeg
D17C40ED-938B-45AE-8688-33D6F9B716FA.jpeg

optical out to Hugo M-Scaler / Hugo TT2. XLR balanced to MHA200.

No RFI noise. Sounds tremendous 😊. Looks crazy, but the SP2000 is not converting to analog in this arrangement. It is only converting USB data to Optical output to the Hugo M-Scaler. This is reducing or eliminating jitter. My usb cable is 2 inches long so no longer a concern with it picking up noise. The laptop is normally on my desk a few feet away. Why bother with the SP2000? I can now play anything from Foobar2000 or any source from the laptop and the SP2000 will convert the digital audio into optical output.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #495 of 632
So basically SP2000 turns into a very expensive DDC…
Yes you are right. But I already own the SP2000. If I knew beforehand that I would like this sound better and I didn't have a DAP, I would look for something on Amazon.

Maybe you can try with your SP2K and Dave for the fun of experimenting?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back