New McIntosh MHA200 Headphone amp
Jun 26, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #421 of 632
Yes! I can confirm that the MHA200 will make scratching, popping, and tapping noises from 5G signals. My phone sitting in my charger cradle two feet away would cause these noise even though it was not my music source or connected directly to the MHA200 in anyway. Also it picks up noise from my laptop. The noise is not constant. It only happens when data is being transferred. Music playback may not cause any problems from the phone, but any cellular data transmission will make noises in the amp like a new message alert or app notification.
My computer sits right next to my MHA200, as does my phone. I’ve never had ANY interference in the amp. My suspicion is that your computer or cables are picking up the interference, not the amp itself. A few years ago our conference room at work exhibited similar behavior via its audio system during teleconferences, we switched out the computer and recabled, and the problem disappeared

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #422 of 632
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 26, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #423 of 632
I demonstrated the cellphone interference to @TSAVJason. Jason being the great owner he is, called up McIntosh and was willing to get me a new amp when he heard it. Turns out it was my cellphone had Google Maps still running on it. It took some trial and error to isolate the cause, because if the phone wasn't downloading data, there is no problem. So yes, some phones won't cause a problem if you get no data traffic or call.

Anyways, I think the point was that if you are affected by intermittent noise, check if your phone is the root cause. Just trying to save some people the hassle of going back and forth driving all over the place when your phone might explain mysterious problems.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #424 of 632
The delivery date for the MHA200 I purchased has come and gone and the dealer has zero info from McIntosh as to when the amp will arrive... No harm, no foul, given the times, for now.
I had been following the other thread, unaware of this one until today. The problems and concerns abound but it seems most are easily resolved.
The one that had me worried from the start and causes me more concern now is that of the volume control. I, and some other posters, seem to have a "preference" for a volume control that is not loose in the chassis nor in feel. One that has an easily useable range of meaningful control, well beyond 1200 to 1330 for example... and one that does not pretty much presuppose the use of a preamp or create the need for one. A volume control that feels of quality befitting a $2,500.00 purchase. The fact McIntosh has stooped to using an EQ of such a purported level quality for their controls is rather crappy, both as an EQ or as a volume. And now a dealer goes and equates this to a mere "preference", no "issues". Blow off those pesky owners who posted, reviewed, and those who await the arrival of their orders.
How I was looking forward to the McIntosh experience, but I think not now. I appreciate the solid feel and superb performance of my Woo amps even more! I shan't be antsy for the arrival of the Mc any longer.
I seek out quality performing, looking, and feeling products from companies responsive to customer needs and "preferences".
Had one of these posts read that customer concerns were forwarded to McIntosh and they are looking into the concerns it would be a different world. Tweaking a new product may be necessary, but no hope is held out.
I hope my brief foray into the McIntosh world proves to be inexpensive. I was prepared to be a guinea pig as an early adopter with the hope (now false) of benefitting the McIntosh community....
Anyone think I will receive a properly fitted volume control, say tight, firm, smooth, good range of control, like a $49.00 Schiit passive?
Are the posters with concerns just nit pickers full of, well, BS?
Will I be selling the hoard of "Kevin's Stash" tubes I purchased for this amp that may now go unused?

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #425 of 632
Yes! I can confirm that the MHA200 will make scratching, popping, and tapping noises from 5G signals. My phone sitting in my charger cradle two feet away would cause these noise even though it was not my music source or connected directly to the MHA200 in anyway. Also it picks up noise from my laptop. The noise is not constant. It only happens when data is being transferred. Music playback may not cause any problems from the phone, but any cellular data transmission will make noises in the amp like a new message alert or app notification.

I imagine whatever cabling you are using on your MHA200 may be acting as an antenna and picking up the cell noise. Have you tried using an rfi choke on your cables to see if this resolves the issue? Pretty cheap solution.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #426 of 632
I would not call the volume knob cheap crap. It's feel is kinda average. On my unit it is not loose. No wiggle or dead spots. It, however is not what I consider linear. The first 4 tick marks I hear nothing. Then near one tick before 12 noon, it goes from nothing to I can clearly hear at normal volume within 1.5 ticks. Turn it towards 1 o'clock and it gets way too loud. I am lucky I can dial down my source to less than line out levels to give me less sensitivity. This, McIntosh should do better or not even have a volume knob.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #427 of 632
I imagine whatever cabling you are using on your MHA200 may be acting as an antenna and picking up the cell noise. Have you tried using an rfi choke on your cables to see if this resolves the issue? Pretty cheap solution.
D643BE8A-5E4E-4861-BC18-360176606B2B.jpeg

This is already quite and investment. It's possible, but other amps not affected. I've just moved my phone. I have no problems.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #428 of 632
The delivery date for the MHA200 I purchased has come and gone and the dealer has zero info from McIntosh as to when the amp will arrive... No harm, no foul, given the times, for now.
I had been following the other thread, unaware of this one until today. The problems and concerns abound but it seems most are easily resolved.
The one that had me worried from the start and causes me more concern now is that of the volume control. I, and some other posters, seem to have a "preference" for a volume control that is not loose in the chassis nor in feel. One that has an easily useable range of meaningful control, well beyond 1200 to 1330 for example... and one that does not pretty much presuppose the use of a preamp or create the need for one. A volume control that feels of quality befitting a $2,500.00 purchase. The fact McIntosh has stooped to using an EQ of such a purported level quality for their controls is rather crappy, both as an EQ or as a volume. And now a dealer goes and equates this to a mere "preference", no "issues". Blow off those pesky owners who posted, reviewed, and those who await the arrival of their orders.
How I was looking forward to the McIntosh experience, but I think not now. I appreciate the solid feel and superb performance of my Woo amps even more! I shan't be antsy for the arrival of the Mc any longer.
I seek out quality performing, looking, and feeling products from companies responsive to customer needs and "preferences".
Had one of these posts read that customer concerns were forwarded to McIntosh and they are looking into the concerns it would be a different world. Tweaking a new product may be necessary, but no hope is held out.
I hope my brief foray into the McIntosh world proves to be inexpensive. I was prepared to be a guinea pig as an early adopter with the hope (now false) of benefitting the McIntosh community....
Anyone think I will receive a properly fitted volume control, say tight, firm, smooth, good range of control, like a $49.00 Schiit passive?
Will I be selling the hoard of "Kevin's Stash" tubes I purchased for this amp that may now go unused?
I would agree generally. However they elected to give the user/owner the option of “Unity Gain” control and elected to use a VC device that provided a detent to identify the unity position. This allows the use of any other preamp in front of the MHA200, allowing it to be used as an amp only. Of course because of size constraints and the desire to maintain the look of McIntosh they decided to use their EQ sweep knob to act as that VC accomplishing their design/function control. It has a tiny bit of play but it’s not a traditional VC doing a typical VC function.

Certainly I see how you might interpret this as a flaw. As an engineer I don’t see it as a flaw. I see it as a way to avoid another $500 added to the price.

just my 2 cents! 🤙🏼

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 26, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #429 of 632

I fully agree about the volume control. When I first sold Wilson Audio speakers, specifically the Watt/Puppy Vs, I was displeased with the two dollar foam grilles without frames attached by velcro, just not befitting a $20,000 set of loudspeakers. David Wilson did a seminar at the store and responded to an attendee’s question about why such a low grade material was used, and David replied smiling it was the most transparent grill he had heard even implying a little guilt to those that didn’t like the grills.

McIntosh is an American high end manufacturer of note. Its product, to no surprise to anyone here, is designed to not only perform well, but also to last a very long time by using quality componentry inside and out, and we as audiophiles/consumers have come to expect nothing less from such a marquee brand. A wiggly volume control on any of its product is antithetical to the message McIntosh conveys with its marketing materials. What makes this even more disconcerting is that our physical connection to the MHA200 is primarily through the volume control, the pride of ownership that naturally occurs through touch is diminished.

David Wilson ultimately responded to dealer and consumer criticism by providing proper framed cloth grills by the time the Watt/Puppy 7 was released. But I found it quite interesting from a psychological perspective that the original foam grills were still included.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #430 of 632

This is already quite and investment. It's possible, but other amps not affected. I've just moved my phone. I have no problems.

Big fan of Kimber ✌️

RFI chokes routinely sell for a couple bucks or less.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #431 of 632
I would agree generally. However they elected to give the user/owner the option of “Unity Gain” control and elected to use a VC device that provided a detent to identify the unity position. This allows the use of any other preamp in front of the MHA200, allowing it to be used as an amp only. Of course because of size constraints and the desire to maintain the look of McIntosh they decided to use their EQ sweep knob to act as that VC accomplishing their design/function control. It has a tiny bit of play but it’s not a traditional VC doing a typical VC function.

Certainly I see how you might interpret this as a flaw. As an engineer I don’t see it as a flaw. I see it as a way to avoid another $500 added to the price.

just my 2 cents! 🤙🏼

I don’t see it as a flaw, rather, a shortcut decided by the bean counters. The additional cost to use a more befitting control, I believe, would easily pay for itself with increased sales since there is a subset of consumers that will not buy the MHA200 due to a perceived lack of build quality.

Just my two cents which isn’t worth very much 😉

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #432 of 632
I don’t see it as a flaw, rather, a shortcut decided by the bean counters. The additional cost to use a more befitting control, I believe, would easily pay for itself with increased sales since there is a subset of consumers that will not buy the MHA200 due to a perceived lack of build quality.

Just my two cents which isn’t worth very much 😉

To use the type of VC you might deem befitting and have the detent function would definitely turn it into a $3k piece. I have a “little bird” 🐣 insider telling me this amp is already at a much lower profit margin than McIntosh generally applies to their products.

I have a funny feeling they are going to raise the price anyway even without a befitting knob. 😂😂😂😂

ok close my account! I’m over budget on comments. I’m up to 4 cents now.😂

have a great weekend JW!

Last edited:

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #433 of 632
To use the type of VC you might deem befitting and have the detent function would definitely turn it into a $3k piece. I have a “little bird” 🐣 insider telling me this amp is already at a much lower profit margin than McIntosh generally applies to their products.

I had to add 1 more cent 😂😂😂

$2,500 or $3,000 properly fitted, I’d choose the latter, but I’m a crazy audiophile that not only likes the sound to be right, but the visual and tactile senses to be firing.

No disrespect meant by my comments, I’m a little odd about such matters. ✌️

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #434 of 632

just my 2 cents! 🤙🏼
Appreciate your response.

Certainly the MHA200 is a major mismatch to my headphone amp experiences and expectations.
I have blind bought a product that will have little to no use to me as I expected the volume control to be, well, the volume control. One that functions well without a preamp. I am guessing if I can't get out of this ill thought out purchase I will be selling at a loss, spending more than $500.00 on a preamp, or most likely just keeping it as a reminder... At a minimum a life lesson to exercise the option to purchase from a different less quirky brand. Too late in life for me to become an engineer or somehow adopt an engineer's perspective.

This unity gain concept and execution reminds me too much of engineering faults in a motorcycle I own. Customers complain endlessly about poor engineering decisions, get told it's not a fault, it's a feature, and just Bring More Wallet until the government forces a recallI and re-engineered parts get fitted. I need stuff that just works and headphone amps ought to be simple.

The above poster got it right, be better to not have a volume knob. That would have made the use case crystal clear and I would have saved some time and money. Same for some others.

The search for my end game amp resumes!

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #435 of 632
Appreciate your response.

Certainly the MHA200 is a major mismatch to my headphone amp experiences and expectations.
I have blind bought a product that will have little to no use to me as I expected the volume control to be, well, the volume control. One that functions well without a preamp. I am guessing if I can't get out of this ill thought out purchase I will be selling at a loss, spending more than $500.00 on a preamp, or most likely just keeping it as a reminder... At a minimum a life lesson to exercise the option to purchase from a different less quirky brand. Too late in life for me to become an engineer or somehow adopt an engineer's perspective.

This unity gain concept and execution reminds me too much of engineering faults in a motorcycle I own. Customers complain endlessly about poor engineering decisions, get told it's not a fault, it's a feature, and just Bring More Wallet until the government forces a recallI and re-engineered parts get fitted. I need stuff that just works and headphone amps ought to be simple.

The above poster got it right, be better to not have a volume knob. That would have made the use case crystal clear and I would have saved some time and money. Same for some others.

The search for my end game amp resumes!

have you listened to an MHA200? I’m curious. Which headphone are you using that you found not to be good with it if you have listened to it. Sorry I wasn’t clear on what you were trying to say.

I’m a big believer in dealing with a company that allows returns if you’re not satisfied. I hope it works out for you. 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back