New McIntosh MHA200 Headphone amp
Jun 26, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #406 of 632
You would discount buying one of the finest headphone amps ever built because you won't move your phone father away or put it into airplane mode? The amp is sensitive to RFI, but probably not much more so than any other Tube Amp
Phone is manageable but if it picks up any kind of noise from a laptop, it's definitely a no no.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #407 of 632
We are talking about a phone within 2 feet of the amp with clean line of sight. Your body may block much of the interference as well if you insist on wearing it while listening. I am on call. My phone flashes for important message s or support calls.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #408 of 632
Phone is manageable but if it picks up any kind of noise from a laptop, it's definitely a no no.
My laptop was right next to the amp with the docking station next to it. Moving it a little away and it is no problem. Cellphone is also only really very constantly noticeable when the phone is inches next to the tubes. I pick up no interference from other audio gear thankfully.

It's a great sounding amp. Different from the Headamp GS-X Mini I have. I enjoy it very much. A Ferrari isn't a perfect daily driver. I expect quirks in my high end audio to get high performance.
F2010B79-C92D-4845-BB7A-8A688D78AF4F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #409 of 632
My laptop was right next to the amp with the docking station next to it. Moving it a little away and it is no problem. Cellphone is also only really very constantly noticeable when the phone is inches next to the tubes. I pick up no interference from other audio gear thankfully.
Yup. My laptop is stationary, connected to a 24TB local library running Roon. All amps sit right beside it, so this wouldn't work for me. I can endure noise on sensitive IEMs but RFI - even the chance of it - is a major buzzkill for me.

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #410 of 632
Yup. My laptop is stationary, connected to a 24TB local library running Roon. All amps sit right beside it, so this wouldn't work for me. I can endure noise on sensitive IEMs but RFI - even the chance of it - is a major buzzkill for me.
604B4100-CC47-490D-96BE-39F8FFD42098.jpeg
Just to make sure we're talking same language. This is what I was doing. I have short câbles.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #411 of 632
Yes! I can confirm that the MHA200 will make scratching, popping, and tapping noises from 5G signals. My phone sitting in my charger cradle two feet away would cause these noise even though it was not my music source or connected directly to the MHA200 in anyway. Also it picks up noise from my laptop. The noise is not constant. It only happens when data is being transferred. Music playback may not cause any problems from the phone, but any cellular data transmission will make noises in the amp like a new message alert or app notification.
On which network your 5G phone was sitting? What you describe is typical 2G type of noise. With 4G or 5G it shall be dead silent.

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #412 of 632
On which network your 5G phone was sitting? What you describe is typical 2G type of noise. With 4G or 5G it shall be dead silent.
Isn't it more complicated than the network? I don't know what the cellphone hardware is doing when it is sending and receiving data. It's an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Isn't it more likely it is the radio chip set is radiating signal that happens to interfere with the amp?

AT&T 5G network.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #413 of 632

It's a great sounding amp. Different from the Headamp GS-X Mini I have. I enjoy it very much. A Ferrari isn't a perfect daily driver. I expect quirks in my high end audio to get high performance. F2010B79-C92D-4845-BB7A-8A688D78AF4F.jpeg

Hm, I tend to think the opposite - I expect quirks in Chi-Fi gear rather than high end audio. But each to their own. I've no doubt it sounds great, but RFI issues together with the volume control problems are major obstacles for me. I keep my out for version 2.0.

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #415 of 632
Jun 26, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #417 of 632
Jun 26, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #419 of 632
Hm, I tend to think the opposite - I expect quirks in Chi-Fi gear rather than high end audio. But each to their own. I've no doubt it sounds great, but RFI issues together with the volume control problems are major obstacles for me. I keep my out for version 2.0.
What volume me control “problems” are you referring to?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back