3. VERMICIDE
4. MECCAMPUTECHTURE
5. ASILOS MAGDALENA
6. VISCERA EYES
7. DAY OF THE BAPHOMETS
8. EL CIERVO VULNERADO

Jul 4, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 42
Wow-another album already?
I though Frances the Mute was a relatively recent release?
I love TMV-cant wait to see what they come up with this time around.

Jul 4, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 42
yum!
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 42
Lyrics, lyrics, lyrics.

May we all pray for lyrics that don't make us cringe.

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Lyrics, lyrics, lyrics.

That's what I was thinking. This is one I'll pick up either way though, I'm pickin' up what they're throwin' down
580smile.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 42
I am friends with an employee at Universal who had a lot to do with this album. I have it already. It's sitting right in front of me.

To answer a few questions right off the bat:

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
Less filler this time, please.

MUCH LESS. In fact, I hardly hear any at all. No three-minute sound effect drone endings. This is a constantly-moving album!

Quote:

The lyrics are more hidden behind the instrumentals this time. There are lots of explosive instrumental sections, but even when the vocals are present, they're more "emotional" and less technical. By that, I mean that there is more feeling in his voice and less pretentious lyrics. I'm sure if one were to read the lyrics off of a sheet, they may look similar to previous releases, but when listening, it's hard to notice. The lyrics and vocals work more in tune with the instruments, making them much more harmonious than previous releases. They are less-focused on in comparison to previous releases. I was always hoping this would happen. There are still moments, such as in "Tetragrammation", where the old Mars Volta vocal trickery is still at work. But for the most part, it's gone.

I thought I'd take the liberty to post the track lengths since they haven't been posted yet:

1. VICARIOUS ATONEMENT - 7:21
2. TETRAGRAMMATON - 16:43
3. VERMICIDE - 4:17
4. MECCAMPUTECHTURE - 11:04
5. ASILOS MAGDALENA - 6:36
6. VISCERA EYES - 9:25
7. DAY OF THE BAPHOMETS - 11:58
8. EL CIERVO VULNERADO - 8:59

Some standout tracks: "Tetragrammation" for its excellent, hard, pumping, furious prog-rock and excellent guitar effects. "Vermicide" for the acoustic guitar work, which is a big change and also a huge step forward in the maturity of The Mars Volta's music.

Hope this helps out some people! I recommend this release.

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 42
Cool. They have all the raw ingredients to be a classic rock band. The singer has a great voice (sorry I like it, it's emotional and BIG without being limp-wristed "emo" *shudders*). The musical force behind the band, Omar, is way way way out ahead of the players thrown up for our inspection from his generation. An ambitious band with chops to match who couldn't seem to give a damn about the charts. What a concept. How refreshing. How retro.

Now, about those lyrics...
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 42
Thanks Aman! That is an excellent contribution.

Thus far I have managed to not search for the album on the web. My resolve is weakening.

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Cool. They have all the raw ingredients to be a classic rock band. The singer has a great voice (sorry I like it, it's emotional and BIG without being limp-wristed "emo" *shudders*). The musical force behind the band, Omar, is way way way out ahead of the players thrown up for our inspection from his generation. An ambitious band with chops to match who couldn't seem to give a damn about the charts. What a concept. How refreshing. How retro.

Now, about those lyrics...
tongue.gif

I've always said they're like Turbo Rush. I cant even really begin to describe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back