New Mars Volta in August - Amputechture
Jul 8, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #16 of 42
I have also heard the album in its entirety, and yes, if you like the band's sound it is simply amazing. It is definitely reminiscent of their previous works, but as Aman mentioned it also has a new, more mature sound. Overall, it is a beautiful album. It draws you in hypnotically with the begining track then leads you through a chaotic, powerful rollercoaster of sound - it is one of those rare albums that presents a story rather than just compiles an assortment of singles. I think it is really good!

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Actually from what I hear the whole album has been leaked...]

you are correct now, but at the time of my last post, those were the only three tracks
smily_headphones1.gif

anyways, i will refrain from posting about it to be fair to those people who are waiting to actually buy it. needless to say, if you enjoyed 'deloused,' and were put off by the 'ambient' sections on 'frances,' you'll probably like this new one. and this album has cedric's best vocal performance by far.

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Cool. They have all the raw ingredients to be a classic rock band. The singer has a great voice (sorry I like it, it's emotional and BIG without being limp-wristed "emo" *shudders*). The musical force behind the band, Omar, is way way way out ahead of the players thrown up for our inspection from his generation. An ambitious band with chops to match who couldn't seem to give a damn about the charts. What a concept. How refreshing. How retro.

Now, about those lyrics...
tongue.gif

C'mon how can you not love this:

Quote:

There was a frail syrup dripping off
His lap danced lapel, punctuated by her
Decrepit prowl she washed down the hatching
Gizzard soft as a mane of needles
His orifice icicles hemmoraged
By combing her torso to a pile
Perspired the trophy shelves made room for his collapse
She was a mink handjob in sarcophagus heels

I don't notice the lyrics much when listening....
600smile.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #19 of 42
I would like to see some slightly more coherent narrative structured lyrics, but not at the expense of experimentation...although maybe I'd be willing to make a little bit of a trade off there.

I'm pumped. I can't wait to hear the album.

Jul 14, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 42
Tour Dates

They are touring again with the Chili Peppers, playing in Toronto at the ACC. Too bad I'm not crazy about stadium shows. A good chance that John Frusciante would play with them as well as he was involved in the new album.

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #21 of 42
I hope it's better than Francis the Mute. I liked that album but I though it was a step down from Deloused in the Comatorium.

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
So I have heard an advance copy, and rest assured, it is much more Deloused than it is Frances!

It's good.

Great! I'm gonna have to find this leaked copy when I get home.

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta
Tour Dates

They are touring again with the Chili Peppers, playing in Toronto at the ACC. Too bad I'm not crazy about stadium shows. A good chance that John Frusciante would play with them as well as he was involved in the new album.

Yep! I too prefer smaller venues, but I can't pass up the opportunity to see the Chilis and TMV at the same show. It will be outstanding!

Sep 13, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #26 of 42
I'm going to have to be the dissenting voice in this positive thread...

I thought this album had no "soul." Just more virtuoso licks by Rodriguez-Lopez with no real structure to back them up.

It seems I will always be waiting for what TMV could have been...

Sep 13, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #27 of 42
Faithful fan here, I bought Amputechture last night.

I listened twice today, and my initial impression is................What??? Granted TMV albums always take me several listens to understand and fully enjoy, but after only two listens, I don't even want to listen anymore! I don't know...maybe I'm having an off day or something, because this is really surprising. I'll report back later in a couple of days and see if my opinion changes.

Sep 14, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #28 of 42
A review I made on another forum:

The new Mars Volta CD is finally out, and I have to say it's ****ing amazing. To describe it to other fans: it rocks just as hard as Deloused did, with the creativity of Frances the Mute, minus the 10 minute silences. To people who havn't listened to them before, I think it's too hard to describe. Go to their myspace and listen to a few songs. This CD has blown past my expectations, and in my opinion is much better than Deloused. To give a quick summary of the tracks:

1. Vicarious Atonement A slow lead into the album. Brace yourself.
2. Tetragrammaton Much faster than the lead in. The longest song on the album. Starts out pretty damn epic. Slowly funnels down to the next song.
3. Vermicide Another mellow-ish song. REAKS of Deloused. The shortest song on the album.
4. Meccamputechture Just as amazing as track 2. My personal favorite song on the album. I think the intro made me cream myself.
5. Asilos Magdalena The spanish track on the album. Leads pretty well into the next track.
6. Viscera Eyes My second favorite song, and the single from the album. You can go to TMV's myspace and listen to it. Pretty damn good. I love the slowdown in the middle of it.
7. Day Of The Baphomets Has a sort of of funky and trippy feal near the end. Base line in the beginning is damn impressive.
8. El Ciervo Vulnerado The coolddown of the song. Ends much like Frances the Mute ended.

Go buy this CD is you even remotly like prog-rock or really any rock for that matter. If you are a TMV fan, I don't know why you don't have it yet. Damn it I love this album.

9/10

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #29 of 42
It's not bad, but by no stretch is this a 9/10 album. I'm sure it'll grow on me a bit more, but right now I definitely prefer Frances the Mute and De-Loused by a large margin. There are some very catchy parts, but then they just lose focus and I'm not interested anymore.

Quote:

The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosa Lee Carter

Gotta love those lyrics
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by FSF
Go buy this CD is you even remotly like prog-rock or really any rock for that matter. If you are a TMV fan, I don't know why you don't have it yet. Damn it I love this album.

9/10

yeah....i disagree.

TMV fanboys are...an interesting breed.

p.s. things don't "reak," they reek. And remotely has two e's in it. I bet you can guess where!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back