New Mars Volta in August - Amputechture
Sep 14, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #32 of 42
I personally am not a big fan of Mars Volta, the one thing I have to say is that my first experience hearing them (opening for RHCP) was not the greatest, they play live terribly IMO. Although after I heard their recordings I thought they were pretty good, their style is cool, it's cool that they integrated wind instruments into their music given the current music preference.

- Chili

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #33 of 42
This album is GREAT, not as ambitious as Frances the Mute but still powerful music by a band comfortable and in the zone. Now I know what it must have been like to be in the 70's with rock bands like Zeppelin releasing high-quality music. Obviously it's a different era, but as far as pulling music confidently from their talented hands, and in a musical prime where a sound can't go wrong no matter what the artist does (the apex of creative process), this is it.

Listening to Amputechture, to me, redefines Frances as a classic album... I always thought that an artist can never go too over-the-top, and FTM borders on excess, but the ambition drives it home with some wonderful sounds, some classic tunes and that one long amazing song. Amputechture is a step toward accessibility without straying from their roots. I look at it as two steps forward, one step backward. When you throw out something as extreme as FTM, it's like sprinting off the top of a building and stopping right at the ledge. With Amputechture they are regaining their footing, and the album sounds confidently vintage.

The first and last songs to me with their slow, creepy, manically restrained energy are like brothers and sisters and serve as nice book-ends to the piece. There's a darkness creeping right below the surface through this whole album, a held-back fury that never fully releases itself... For this reason as it ends I can't help but want MORE. That's the sign of an artist on top of their game, they know just how to get us begging for me. That's what this album is, for me.

My favorite song is Asilos Magdalena, which to me perfectly represents that bubbling restrained and dark mania.

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #34 of 42
After listening to it a few more times, the vocals are really starting to get under my skin. I can appreciate the other two albums, but for some reason, I'm not liking Cedric's voice on this new album.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
After listening to it a few more times, the vocals are really starting to get under my skin. I can appreciate the other two albums, but for some reason, I'm not liking Cedric's voice on this new album.

Ditto. This one just doesn't have it.

As much as I want to like it...crap.

Sep 16, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #36 of 42
A review I pulled from somewhere else:

I've had the album since the leak [and now bought it] and I can say that I was very impressed with the album after being slightly subdued with Frances the Mute.

If you're looking for something resembling De-Loused in the Comatorium, this isn't exactly it: This album covers such a wide spread of genres it's hard to classify it as anything but progressive. The whole album does not appear to have a storyline such as the preceding albums, but moreover motifs about religion, dealing with the fear of god, possessed nuns and all sorts of ****.
Anyway, I was initially very impressed with the first two opening tracks. Vicarious Atonement is a soft opener, but the last two minutes bridging into Tetragrammaton are epic, as are the first two of the latter. Tetragrammaton goes on to be one of the best songs on the album, although being a little too drawn out, almost like they don't know when to stop [don't worry, it's not boring]. Masterful guitar work, this is the Cassandra Gemini of Amputechture.
I know a lot of people that were disappointed with Vermicide, as it's the shortest, most mainstream song of the album; I'm surprised it wasn't the first single. However, it's a great song, having that The Widow feel, but not overly dramatic, and with awesome guitar.
Meccamputechture is the centerpiece of the album, and may be the most progressive song too. I didn't like this song at first, but it grew on me: There isn't much guitar, Omar seems to be embracing other instruments and effects. Cedric seems to have this whole lyrical motif about Amputechture going on, and his vocals build the song. The song breaks down into a two-minute freeform instrumental with flutes and saxophones and then ends with Cedric bellowing "It lacks a human pulse" until a particularly harmonious ending.
Asilos Magdalena is a primarily acoustic song sung in spanish. It has that soft latin vibe but is not the slightest bit tedious to listen to as Omar's guitar work is as melodious as ever. The song ends with a crescendo of fuzz buildup, that eventually leads to light drum and bass electronica that serves as the leadup to Viscera Eyes. Viscera Eyes is definitely the most straight-up rocker of the album for the first four minutes [I've used it to pump me up for sports events for weeks now], definite single material. The latter half of the track singals a tempo change to latin guitar work and eventually a great guitar solo with the highest vocals I've ever heard from Cedric.
Day of The Baphomets and El Ciervo Vulnerado are my two least favorite tracks on the album, but still not entirely bad. Day of the Baphomets begins with a bass solo and then relies on a bass line for almost the duration of the track, occasionally switching off into side arrangements. Very nice breakdown chorus. El Ciervo Vulnerado closes the album in a very anticlimatic way, instead being soft-spoken with some utterly strange lyrics. I still have little clue about the stories this album is trying to convey. The song ends abruptly, supposedly on purpose. Is there a companion album on the way? Only time will tell.

Anyway, this album definitely meets expectations. It's better than Frances the Mute, but I still can't say I prefer it to DITC, which has a groundbreaking story and is a very constant album itself.

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #37 of 42
Ugh yeah, this album is definitely lacking something. I loved the other two albums because the melodies are so catchy, and all I want to do is tap my toes and bob my head. This new one though...it doesn't do it for me so far.

edit: Scotty your signature made me howl, I think I felt your wrath one time after messing up definitely.

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Scotty your signature made me howl, I think I felt your wrath one time after messing up definitely.

hahaha....I really have no idea why its those two words in particular that give me problems, but I guess it comes with being neurotic.

Sep 18, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #39 of 42
I just got done with this album and I think it is fantastic. I might go as far to say this is their best yet, but I will give it a few more listens before I decide for sure.

Sep 20, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
hahaha....I really have no idea why its those two words in particular that give me problems, but I guess it comes with being neurotic.

Sign me up for "Team Definitely Ridiculous." I can't fathom how many times I've seen those 2 words misspelled on various forums, etc. You're not alone in it driving you crazy.

BTW Volta's new album is pretty good. I haven't listened to it intently yet, though. (token on-topic comment
tongue.gif
)

Sep 22, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #41 of 42
I adore TMV-yet im not feeling this album.
The second song being 17 minutes long IMO destroys any potential for "track flow"; its just a big brick wall right at the beginning of the album.
De-Loused to me was near perfection.
Frances was great too b/c it just a fresh, experimental album, still containing solid musicianship.

I dont doubt the musicianship is still there on Amputechture, but it just "feels" like they are trying too hard on this one.
Hopefully that feeling will dissipate after a couple more listens.

Sep 22, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #42 of 42
Overall I like this album, it has some nice 'grooving' basslines and great guitar work. Also like new the instruments in the mix, acoustic guitar and the sax and horn instumentation in a few of the songs which adds a new dimension for the band. On the other hand I see what people mean about the vocals/ vocal effects being a bit much at times. When I'm in the right mood I really feel this album, other times I'm just shaking my head at all the wankery.
As far as SQ goes it's pretty good but the instruments tend to blend together into a wall of sound, too much compression maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back