New Marantz SA-8004
Sep 20, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #121 of 205
Thanks for letting me know about the volume control on the remote.  I like that if you get both the CD player and matching Marantz amp you then get two different headphone jacks to compare. I can't tell for sure with the p6004, but with the p8004 amp you also get balance adjustment, bypassable bass and trebble tone controls, and even a midrange adjustment. All they are missing is the Loudness button. :)

The silver 6004's do look pretty cool.

Is that silver going to be available in the US? I see it's in the UK. If it's available in the US, it's tempting. It looks great.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #122 of 205
Got my SA8004 two days ago. Very impressed with the headphones amp.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #124 of 205

Quote:
Got my SA8004 two days ago. Very impressed with the headphones amp.

Congrats! No unboxing video? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #126 of 205

Quote:
Several have mentioned that the SA8004 has  better than expected Headphone circuit. Can anyone who has also picked up the PM8004 say how it does with headphones?

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll plug the LCD2s and Pro900s into mine tonight.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #129 of 205
The SA8004 is a GREAT player, but the DAC doesn't compare to my Apogee Mini-DAC in terms of sonics.  The Apogee has much better dynamics.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #130 of 205
Have you tried A-B comparing the SA8004 direct vs SPIDIF out to the Apogee or did you compare them using different sources?

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #131 of 205

Quote:
Have you tried A-B comparing the SA8004 direct vs SPIDIF out to the Apogee or did you compare them using different sources?

I used Optical input on both units from Mac Mini.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #132 of 205
Can anyone give me a few impressions about a couple of things?

First of all...Does the HO give enough power to the LCD 2s to satisfy volume wise?

Secondly...had anyone used this unit as a USB DAC? I know you can...but how is it? 

I'm considering it as a purchase to hold me over and use it as a jumping off point for my new high end set up.

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #133 of 205
I have the previous version SA-8003 which drives the LCD-2 reasonably well but if I want loud then I go to my dedicated headphone amp.  So basically I can push the volume all the way up on the 8003 and not have the LCD-2 hurt my ears.  Probably with other less-power hungry headphones I would reach that pain threshold.  I can check the loudness this weekend and maybe add some actual numerical dB to the 8003 headphone out.  Whether or not they gave the 8004 more output power I don't know, we can check the manufacturer's specs.  If I had to everything over again, I might go SA-8004 + headphone amp and be done, no need for a dedicated high-end standalone DAC for my computer.  That's how much I like the 8003 DAC with CDs and based on opinions in this thread the 8004 is no slouch.  

Quote:

First of all...Does the HO give enough power to the LCD 2s to satisfy volume wise?

Secondly...had anyone used this unit as a USB DAC? I know you can...but how is it? 

I'm considering it as a purchase to hold me over and use it as a jumping off point for my new high end set up.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #134 of 205
I've had the SA-8004 for almost a year and just tried the LCD-2 on the headphone out. I don't listen loud so for me it gets to listening level at about half way on the volume pot and all the way up is outside my  comfort zone. To me the sound quality isn't bad for a built in headphone socket but a decent external amp will definitely improve on it.  Since I have other amps, I never use the built in headphone output but it's probably serviceable to get started with.

Unfortunately the USB input on this thing is a convenience feature at best and I personally think it sounds awful. The other digital inputs sound much better but you need to use an external USB/Firewire converter of some type and better quality converters will make a difference here. 

Given your stated goal this is likely a very good option to build around. The fact it serves as a SACD/CD player and external DAC for the price is a great value even if the built in USB is a throw away. You might find the USB passable as a starting point but I'd look quickly at getting a different interface. Even something relatively inexpensive like a Firestone Bravo is a substantial improvement over the built in USB.

Quote:

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #135 of 205
I think I could live with the mediocre USB for at least a little while. I've had my eye on this unit for quite some time and depending on my finical situation over the next week or so it might be time to finally pick one up. 

Will want an SACD player end game but I will probably just use it as a transport at the end of the road. As of now there are quite a few DACs and amps I'm considering, but there's not a lot of options for SACD players out there at a reasonable price. Especially not with the USB feature (throw away as it may be). 

Upgrade path might look something like this...

SA8004 (DAC/Transport) + Pioneer 255R (Amp)
SA8004 (DAC/Transport) + Liquid Fire (Amp)
SA8004 (Transport) + DA-11 (Or one of the million other DACs I'm considering) + Liquid Fire (Amp)

The Pioneer is horribly bright but has built in EQ that doesn't sound bad at all...so it's passable for now.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Quote:
I've had the SA-8004 for almost a year and just tried the LCD-2 on the headphone out. I don't listen loud so for me it gets to listening level at about half way on the volume pot and all the way up is outside my  comfort zone. To me the sound quality isn't bad for a built in headphone socket but a decent external amp will definitely improve on it.  Since I have other amps, I never use the built in headphone output but it's probably serviceable to get started with.

Unfortunately the USB input on this thing is a convenience feature at best and I personally think it sounds awful. The other digital inputs sound much better but you need to use an external USB/Firewire converter of some type and better quality converters will make a difference here. 

Given your stated goal this is likely a very good option to build around. The fact it serves as a SACD/CD player and external DAC for the price is a great value even if the built in USB is a throw away. You might find the USB passable as a starting point but I'd look quickly at getting a different interface. Even something relatively inexpensive like a Firestone Bravo is a substantial improvement over the built in USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back