New Marantz SA-8004
Sep 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #106 of 205
Yeah, I wondered a lot about the NA7004 as well.  While I believe it uses the same DAC, the SA8004 steps up to a toroidal transformer.  It will be curious to see what the similarities between the two are, SQ wise.  I'm currently using mine through a Marantz PM8004 integrated with Definitive Tech Mythos STS speakers.  It works quite well for a bedroom setup.  Need a BluRay player to replace my aging DV 7600 now....

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #107 of 205
I like the solid construction of the SA-8004/KI Pearl Lite. There is also less vibration when playing discs compared to an entry level Marantz universal player.

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #108 of 205

Quote:
Yeah, I wondered a lot about the NA7004 as well.  While I believe it uses the same DAC, the SA8004 steps up to a toroidal transformer.  It will be curious to see what the similarities between the two are, SQ wise.  I'm currently using mine through a Marantz PM8004 integrated with Definitive Tech Mythos STS speakers.  It works quite well for a bedroom setup.  Need a BluRay player to replace my aging DV 7600 now....

I'll let you know.
I'll be getting mine on Friday.
I as well am using the PM8004, though they are running some ASW Cantius 504s. I currently love the tone and synergy between them.
I have been using the UD5005 as a source in the living room, not as nice as the SA8004 for CD/SACD, but it's still quite nice, and it is much better than the PS3 I had been using for Bluray previously. It's a nice, simple, straightforward unit, albeit a bit slow to load audio discs.

At any rate, I'll put an update in here for the NA7004 once I've had a chance to play with it.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #109 of 205
Mine is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.  

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #110 of 205
Which did you go for DJ?
The SA8004, or NA7004?

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #111 of 205
I ordered the SA8004.  I plan on comparing it to my Sony XA-5400es.  

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #112 of 205
The number of SA-8004/SA KI Pearl Lite owners here is increasing...
normal_smile%20.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #113 of 205

Quote:
The number of SA-8004/SA KI Pearl Lite owners here is increasing...
normal_smile%20.gif

And it should. It is a really nice unit that is getting little press.  It really blows the Cambridge Audio DacMagic (much loved by the Hifi press) away when used as a DAC. Is it as good as my Bolder modded Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC?  No, but the DAC + Mods are in the $1600 range and that is without a transport or the ability to play SACDs.  For what it is, I think the SA8004 is a stonkin' bargain.  Also, it kills my old Marantz SA8260 from many moons ago in SQ when used as a stand-alone player.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #114 of 205

Quote:
For those don't have SACD and only play Redbook Marantz is releasing the CD6004 this month. It adds the USB panel of the SA8004 and it's Redbook is supposed to be on par with the 8004. Less the SACD of course. I know the OP has a bunch of SACD discs but wanted to let anyone who's reading this thread to know Marantz has a new player coming out.

Hey thanks for posting that info - might be just what I am looking for. Didn't see any info for it on thier website though.

Quick question for 8004 owners: I noticed the remote that comes with this has volume control buttons. Do they actually control the volume of the outputs and/or headphone jack - or are they just for use when using other Marantz gear?

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #115 of 205
To control a compatible marantz amp.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #116 of 205

Quote:

Quick question for 8004 owners: I noticed the remote that comes with this has volume control buttons. Do they actually control the volume of the outputs and/or headphone jack - or are they just for use when using other Marantz gear?

They control the headphone jack of the unit if unamped. If using RCA or other outputs with a Marantz amp it will control that, if using another brand's amp, I assume it would do nothing, but my stereo amp is Marantz as well, so I can't say for sure.
When using interconnects out to my Lyr, the volume control on the remote does absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Hey thanks for posting that info - might be just what I am looking for. Didn't see any info for it on thier website though.

Looks to be coming soon... too bad the silver models are not available in North America (outside of the reference line).
http://canadahifi.com/index.php/marantz-cd6004-cd-player-pm6004-amplifier/

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #117 of 205
How does it know if you are connected to a Marantz amp? Do the signals go over the RCA output or does the remote happen to be programmed to all of the Marantz devices (IR)?

Quote:
They control the headphone jack of the unit if unamped. If using RCA or other outputs with a Marantz amp it will control that, if using another brand's amp, I assume it would do nothing, but my stereo amp is Marantz as well, so I can't say for sure.
When using interconnects out to my Lyr, the volume control on the remote does absolutely nothing.

Looks to be coming soon... too bad the silver models are not available in North America (outside of the reference line).
http://canadahifi.com/index.php/marantz-cd6004-cd-player-pm6004-amplifier/

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #118 of 205
How does it know if you are connected to a Marantz amp? Do the signals go over the RCA output or does the remote happen to be programmed to all of the Marantz devices (IR)?

The latter I presume. If RCA out is connected to a live unit (headphone amp, integrated amp, preamp), volume control on the 8004 does nothing, because there is no longer a signal to gain.

It must be pre programed because my bluray remote controls the amp as well.

I doubt it "knows", marantz probably just has them all on the same frequency for convenience.

Edit- I lied, the volume control on the remote is ONLY for marantz amps, not even the 8004s volume... you have to control that with the dial on the front of the unit.
sorry about that, I'm always hooked up to the Lyr. Jumped the gun.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #119 of 205
Thanks for letting me know about the volume control on the remote.  I like that if you get both the CD player and matching Marantz amp you then get two different headphone jacks to compare. I can't tell for sure with the p6004, but with the p8004 amp you also get balance adjustment, bypassable bass and trebble tone controls, and even a midrange adjustment. All they are missing is the Loudness button. :)

The silver 6004's do look pretty cool.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #120 of 205

Quote:
I can't tell for sure with the p6004, but with the p8004 amp you also get balance adjustment, bypassable bass and trebble tone controls, and even a midrange adjustment. All they are missing is the Loudness button. :)

Yup, they appear to be the same tri-tone and balance controls as on my PM8004.
I like that a lot more than screwing with a receiver, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back