New Marantz SA-8004
Mar 7, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #46 of 205
The more this player breaks in the better it has become. The CD/Sacd player is so very good. It has dynamics and is excellent for musicality and I am stunned at how good the head amp is with the D7000 and it drives the HE6 to normal listening levels which has me shocked. I use it when my tube amps are warming up in the morning and when i want to give the tube amps a break, Very happy with this source and purchase.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #47 of 205
Count me in as a wanter of this player. Going to save up for it, starting now. Can't wait!

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #48 of 205
So I listened to the SACD layer of "The Downward Spiral" on a Marantz SA8004 today, as well as on a Marantz SA-11S2 (from their reference line, over $3K) through my Ultrasone Pro900s (would have loved to try it on my LCD2s, but impractical for a demo)

I've no experience with SACD prior to today, but I know the redbook version of "The Downward Spiral" sounds like by heart, I've been listening to it since it came out almost 20 years ago.
Now I'm newer, but I have a good ear, and I am quickly running up to some of the upper echelon gear (before "rich only need apply" kicks in), and I can only say:

JESUS TAP-DANCING CHRIST ON A STICK.....
basshead.gif

The SA-11S2, was nicer I suppose, but really, to my ears, not by a lot. The playback was soooooo detailed on both, so clear and smooth. The 900s really scaled up nice to the source.

I then ran my iPod's ALAC files up through the DAC in the 8004.
Craziness. So much better than my Denon HT receiver at home (which also does a digital connexion with the iPod, so full rez playback, through the Denon's DAC). Like, 100 times clearer and more concise.

I'm now the proud new owner of an SA8004, and currently looking for SACDs to ad to the meager handful I had laying about previously. Great, just one more thing... 

I'll post how they sound through the LCD2s and Lyr once my unit arrives.
Really, I cannot wait.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #49 of 205
I like to hear more about it.  I am eyeing one myself.  Like to use it bedside with headphones.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #50 of 205

Quote:
OK, here is how the USB input works...you must make certain the file extension is one of the supported types (elementary!).  This may require you to convert from a CD (.cda) to WAV using i.e Media Monkey or whatever.  The 8004 then recognizes the file type and, interestingly, scrolls title text (which the standard CD/SACD does not).  It does work and I'm listening now.  I have no idea what the decode path is, maybe the same as stated by enjoythemusic.com.  It is very hard to compare/contrast the SQ with the CD decode as it sounds very good.  As an aging early boomer my ears do not have the finesse necessary to decern differences betweed good sounding players (as stated previously).  Now on to the internal DAC decode (will be very tough to beat my Benchmark USB, DacMagic or V-DAC...I do like my DAC's!).

How does the SA8004 stacks up to the Benchmark DAC 1?

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #51 of 205
I'll put up some impressions for you this weekend with my headphones (pro 900s, LCD2s, IE8s).
if you want to ship a bunch of your headphone collection up to Canada, I'll do impressions with each :)

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #52 of 205
Update, and cross posting the pic for anyone interested.

iPod ALAC or CD / SACD > Marantz SA8004 (SACD Player / USB DAC) > Schiit Lyr > Ultrason Pro 900s / Denon AH D7000s / Audez'e LCD2 Rev2s.

Quick impressions... this is really a crystal clear DAC and CD player! I'm fully thrilled with it's work as a DAC for the iPod and computer audio.

As an SACD/CD player, I can't fault it. It's very neutral and faithful in all reproductions I have done (I have only tried FLAC/ALAC and CDs/SACDs, maybe it's ok for mp3s also, I don't know).
Everything is really really clean and detailed. Applauses become thousands of identifiable, individual claps, strings resonate individually with each time the pic hits them, vocals include nuances I had not heard before from lips separating to small breaths in between notes.
basshead.gif

The headphone jack is more than enough to drive low imedance cans. The Denons and Ultrasones were driven into their strides easily. It even handles the LCD2s quite well, though I prefer them amped in all honesty.

It may not be the best DAC out there, in fact it's probably quite pedestrian compared to some of the $$$$$$ stand alone units, but if you want a really high quality SACD/CD that is also a fantastic USB DAC and iPod interface, for $1,000, I can't think of a better option.
cool.gif

My only naggle is that it does not display CD text info (Album, Artist, Track, etc), and you cannot eject the CD try while playing from USB or other inputs, it switches you to CD mode, dropping the signal that was previously playing, just to eject or close the tray. Other than that, I want not. I'm on to get one of their Universal/BD decks for the living room / loud speaker setup and replace my HT receiver with something from their AV product line...
popcorn.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #53 of 205
I still cant believe this player is still flying under the radar. I quickly sold my ps audio digital link iii after getting this, and I thought the ps sounded superb. The marantz was just in another league. Its very hard for a sourcee to impress me, but I was floored by the performance of this player as Both a dac and sacd player. If it was only a sacd player, then1000.00 would be an incredible value. If it was only a 1000.00 dac, it would be an incredible value. But for a 1000.00 you get an incredible sounding dac, sacd player, and 24/96 asynchronous playback from idevices? Now that's just too much. I really can't say enough about this piece. It's been my best purchase yet.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #54 of 205
This source looks like it is a nice unit. I'm surprised it is not a full-featured universal player like the Oppo BDP-93 for <$500 or the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 for <$200. I keep looking for something to replace my Panasonic DMP-BD85K and so far I haven't found it. Which is good because technology just keeps marching along.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #57 of 205
Ross that universal player is not for everyone. First I have a universal DV60001 and had a Sony 999ES before that. They load very very slow and not built nearly as well and the SA8004 can be used with ipod and as a seperate DAC and is a dedicated 2 channel system. Most of the Universal players need to be hooked up to TV. I have not looked back nor wanted to upgrade the source anymore since the SA8004 arrived If you want a dedicated 2 channel player that can be used for both SACD and CD this for most can be their final source.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #58 of 205
Exactly. For an audio source I didn't want an "all in one do it all" unit because jacks of all trades are masters of none.
It I wanted a TV next to my bed I could use an early model PS3 and have everything but iPod connectivity.
And we all know PS3s are not stellar at anything but games.

I do intend to replace the PS3 in the living room with the Marantz UD player, where AV and non critical listening take place.
That's where I need that kind of versatility and the component quality is not as paramount (PS3 being bare minimum for everything, hence an imminent replacement, and I don't game).
while for my headphone station I wanted a top end CD/SACD player with native iPod digital connectivity. For the money and quality, only the SA8004 fit the bill.

As Frank says, this could easily be my last source for a very long time, save for some huge unforeseen paradigm shift in digital audio.

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #59 of 205
Ross that universal player is not for everyone. First I have a universal DV60001 and had a Sony 999ES before that. They load very very slow and not built nearly as well and the SA8004 can be used with ipod and as a seperate DAC and is a dedicated 2 channel system. Most of the Universal players need to be hooked up to TV. I have not looked back nor wanted to upgrade the source anymore since the SA8004 arrived If you want a dedicated 2 channel player that can be used for both SACD and CD this for most can be their final source.

Hey Frank. I wasn't suggesting that as an alternative to the SA8004 but more of an alternative to the Oppo. Someone had mentioned Oppo being one of the only under $600 universal players and I wanted to point out the Marantz. I actually agree with you. That said, if someone wants a Marantz that plays SACD under $600 they have an option.

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #60 of 205
I planned on using it bedside too. If the DAC is better than the PS Audio, I would be impressed. Now I really can't wait to get mine. Should be late next week. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back