New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Nov 21, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #889 of 1,112
Screensaver/Auto-Off has been working fine in mine. Didn't even know it was a feature when I got it.
Meanwhile. I think I'm going to sell the entire stack (VA2/M8/P1)... let's see how much interest it gets in the sales forum.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #890 of 1,112
  Screensaver/Auto-Off has been working fine in mine. Didn't even know it was a feature when I got it.
Meanwhile. I think I'm going to sell the entire stack (VA2/M8/P1)... let's see how much interest it gets in the sales forum.

How do you activate the screensaver function. I have activated auto standby, but I cant activate the screensaver on my device.
Can you also check what firmware level you have on your unit?

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #891 of 1,112
  How do you activate the screensaver function. I have activated auto standby, but I cant activate the screensaver on my device.
Can you also check what firmware level you have on your unit?

It's actually just an auto-off, not really screensaver.
If you hold the power button down for a while,. you'll get "Auto Standby ON/OFF"

Firmware version.. hmm. I checked that earlier, lemme see where...

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #892 of 1,112
Version 6.6. The new firmware has the screensaver function. No idea what version that is and not for public release. You could send your unit back to factory for the update which is rediculous if you ask me.
Still it's a cosmetic issue mostly and I've got used to my really badly dimmed screen.

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #893 of 1,112
  I have some further questions, sorry if they seem stupid...

1) would you be able to control volume throught the PC? This would mean that you cound tottally ignore the pre-amp section, and drive it straight to a power amp

2) how much better would you think it is from the DAC of the average AV receiver (lets say a marantz nr1506, or a yamaha 663-683 or the average 500-600$ AV receiver?). Do you think it is really audible for the average joe (me!)

I've just read the post about the upcoming m9. Yous said it is a step up? i was thinking its more like the implentation that matters ,not the actual DAC it self. Do you know maybe the price of the new m9?

Regards,

In reply to your first question: Yes, you can. I am using a laptop with Volumio installed. Signal path is as follows: laptop USB > M8 > Amp Camp Amp Kit (ACA Kit). The ACA kit has not volume control. The combination of the M8 with ACA kit sound absolutely gorgeous to my ears.

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #895 of 1,112
http://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit

It's DIY; but I am sure you can find someone to built it for you; or you may find a used one. I bought mine used. BTW, my speakers: http://www.thehornshoppe.com/. The guys only makes one pair. Don't let the site aesthetics fool you.
Cheers

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #896 of 1,112
hello again, 

quick question. 

do you think it would defeat the purpose of buying a smsl-m8, if i connect its analog output  to an intergrated amp (such as the NR1506) and from there on, use further sound-processing algorithms? 

To be more specific, i would like to do that, so the AV-amp, distinquishes the 2channel signal, to a 2.1 setup and also feed my subwoofer, by relieving my main L/R speakers of some burden (lets say 100hz) 

do you think a setup like this would ruin all the improved clarity i would get? or it is still a nice upgrade option to consider?

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #897 of 1,112
  hello again, 

quick question. 

do you think it would defeat the purpose of buying a smsl-m8, if i connect its analog output  to an intergrated amp (such as the NR1506) and from there on, use further sound-processing algorithms? 

To be more specific, i would like to do that, so the AV-amp, distinquishes the 2channel signal, to a 2.1 setup and also feed my subwoofer, by relieving my main L/R speakers of some burden (lets say 100hz) 

do you think a setup like this would ruin all the improved clarity i would get? or it is still a nice upgrade option to consider?

That's really impossible for me to say I am afraid. If you already own an amp like this with a built-in DAC and you enjoy the sound I wouldn't bother. Otherwise see, if you can get a used SMSL M8 and try it out; you can always sell it again. Just just my two cents. Good luck!

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #899 of 1,112
  What is the best , most analog sounding dac from SMSL company?

Depends on your taste. Besides, hardly anybody would have them all to compare. There are at least 8 dacs: Idol, M2, M3, Sanskrit 6, Sanskrit PRO, M6, M8 and M9.

I have Sanskrit 6, M2 and M8, and am tempted to buy M9. Only I don't need the headphone amp which is implemented in M9. 
M2 - sounds amazing clear and with good soundstage through line-out. Plays DSD as well. Makes some trouble with USB not being recognized from time to time. Lacks energy in bass. Best used as USB to Spdif converter, in my case feeding through optical out MUSE tda1543 X 4 NOS dac.
Sanskrit 6 - laid back, rich and wooly Wolfson sound. Great bass and lower midrange, veiled highs. Very deep soundstage, which can make the music somewhat distant. No DSD. Adding the linear power supply makes the bass tighter. Bought some cheap but good one, on Aliexpress.
M8 - fast, shiny, crisp, nervous sound. Needs a careful set-up to use it's best. Don't pair it with neutral-bright SS amps and AKG or Beyers. Works great with tube amps and darker hp-s like Senns or Audezes. In my case with Little Dot II + HD650 + P1 linear power supply. Has 3 pcm filters, plays DSD. 

From these 3, technically the M8 is the best, lowest noise floor, modern clean sound, several filters to play with.
King of the "bang for the buck" IMHO, goes definitely to Sanskrit 6th. Overall pleasant, darker sound, you can get it for less than $100.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #900 of 1,112

Depends on your taste. Besides, hardly anybody would have them all to compare. There are at least 8 dacs: Idol, M2, M3, Sanskrit 6, Sanskrit PRO, M6, M8 and M9.

I have Sanskrit 6, M2 and M8, and am tempted to buy M9. Only I don't need the headphone amp which is implemented in M9. 
M2 - sounds amazing clear and with good soundstage through line-out. Plays DSD as well. Makes some trouble with USB not being recognized from time to time. Lacks energy in bass. Best used as USB to Spdif converter, in my case feeding through optical out MUSE tda1543 X 4 NOS dac.
Sanskrit 6 - laid back, rich and wooly Wolfson sound. Great bass and lower midrange, veiled highs. Very deep soundstage, which can make the music somewhat distant. No DSD. Adding the linear power supply makes the bass tighter. Bought some cheap but good one, on Aliexpress.
M8 - fast, shiny, crisp, nervous sound. Needs a careful set-up to use it's best. Don't pair it with neutral-bright SS amps and AKG or Beyers. Works great with tube amps and darker hp-s like Senns or Audezes. In my case with Little Dot II + HD650 + P1 linear power supply. Has 3 pcm filters, plays DSD. 

From these 3, technically the M8 is the best, lowest noise floor, modern clean sound, several filters to play with.
King of the "bang for the buck" IMHO, goes definitely to Sanskrit 6th. Overall pleasant, darker sound, you can get it for less than $100.

Thank You,
What do you think about M3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back