New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Aug 26, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #766 of 1,112

How did you attach it? i'm wondering about the usual thermal paste but i guess it's not applicable here.

hehheh
smile.gif
it's big. i vaguely remember seeing someone installed a fan, but that's a bit of a mission and introduces some more electrical activity there.

Ahah wish I had seen this before.
The P1 is extremely hot. I'm not happy with the design. It is needing ventilation. It is so hot it really warms up the DAC and Amp if they're on top of it.

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #767 of 1,112
i think all the pics i've seen have the P1 on top.
i spent an hour or so - at the time of that post - looking through pages of CPU heatsinks on ebay but i found nothing suitable, nothing like that one. And i couldn't get the search string right to exclude all the generic electronic shops heatsinks.
it seems like ventilation holes would help, but i'm not sure, and it would wipe out the resale value.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #768 of 1,112
i spent an hour or so - at the time of that post - looking through pages of CPU heatsinks on ebay but i found nothing suitable, nothing like that one. And i couldn't get the search string right to exclude all the generic electronic shops heatsinks.
it seems like ventilation holes would help, but i'm not sure, and it would wipe out the resale value.

Indeed, heat sinks and changing the case isn't practical.
I had everything stacked as in the SMSL shots but it is very hot here today (30C/87F indoors no AC) and the stack got really hot, as in being difficult to keep your hands on top of the P1.

I put them side by side now, P1 on its own and M8+VA2 stacked next to it. That improved it a lot, the P1 is still hot but I'd say it's in a hot-but-still-acceptable temp for a PSU now.
The M8 DAC also gets hot, slightly more than the VA2, but you can't put the amp on bottom due to the design of the volume knob.
It's a cute little system but they could have improved heat dissipation a bit, adding some venting grid and maybe some heatsink-like pattern.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #769 of 1,112

I put the P1 on top in my set up. No problem so far.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #770 of 1,112

Ahah wish I had seen this before.
The P1 is extremely hot. I'm not happy with the design. It is needing ventilation. It is so hot it really warms up the DAC and Amp if they're on top of it.

Expect that from aluminum. the question is ... how hot is it?

You could thermally glue (using thermal glue) a cpu heatsink (really any can do) above the p1 but aluminum is a good conductor of heat no matter where it is.

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #771 of 1,112
Originally Posted by beowulf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, heat sinks and changing the case isn't practical. I had everything stacked as in the SMSL shots but it is very hot here today (30C/87F indoors no AC) and the stack got really hot, as in being difficult to keep your hands on top of the P1.

I put them side by side now, P1 on its own and M8+VA2 stacked next to it. That improved it a lot, the P1 is still hot but I'd say it's in a hot-but-still-acceptable temp for a PSU now.
The M8 DAC also gets hot, slightly more than the VA2, but you can't put the amp on bottom due to the design of the volume knob.
It's a cute little system but they could have improved heat dissipation a bit, adding some venting grid and maybe some heatsink-like pattern.

smile.gif
ja i see you are having summer this year, i've noticed comments about the weather at Dekmantel festival.
i think the designer/s probably know about the heat but the main thing was to make it small, same size as the other components. But even normal/standard size amps have ventilation slots on top.

But you have aircon? Good to hear though, because i will soon have average 30 degrees...and no aircon.

Any CPU heatsink...the last time i saw one was > 10 years ago and pics on ebay seemed to be showing the complete CPU package. i must try again.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #772 of 1,112
:smile: ja i see you are having summer this year, i've noticed comments about the weather at Dekmantel festival.

i think the designer/s probably know about the heat but the main thing was to make it small, same size as the other components. But even normal/standard size amps have ventilation slots on top.

But you have aircon? Good to hear though, because i will soon have average 30 degrees...and no aircon.

Any CPU heatsink...the last time i saw one was > 10 years ago and pics on ebay seemed to be showing the complete CPU package. i must try again.

I do have Aircon since it is 35+C most of the year here. It get used some days without Aircon when the temp is under 30.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #773 of 1,112
  Expect that from aluminum. the question is ... how hot is it?

You could thermally glue (using thermal glue) a cpu heatsink (really any can do) above the p1 but aluminum is a good conductor of heat no matter where it is.

Was ridiculously hot. I don't have an infra thermometer, so it's guesstimating. But if you put your hand on it it's right at the limit of tolerable.

Putting it on its own with nothing on top helped a lot, I think it is enough. Something easy that might also improve it is replacing the small rubber with with 4 bigger ones raising the P1 one centimeter or so. Extra airflow under the chassis will probably cool it down even more.

smile.gif
ja i see you are having summer this year, i've noticed comments about the weather at Dekmantel festival.

Yeah, the weather here is totally randomized. You get 4 seasons in a day and all sorts of weirdness. I gave up trying to understand it.
No airco in this house, I had it before in a different country but here it's usually not necessary, except it seems, this week.

A CPU heatsink would help but it looks pretty bad if installed outside the case. Installing inside won't do much without some venting. They could have kept the case small and compact while still adding a few venting grills.

I tried that and it dissipates better, but was still warming up the rest. I have them side by side now, it helped a lot. If the P1 had a design with a heatsink pattern on the outside and/or venting, it would be quite fresh.

Where do you have your amp then? I find it difficult to rotate the volume if there's a unit on top.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #774 of 1,112
Was ridiculously hot. I don't have an infra thermometer, so it's guesstimating. But if you put your hand on it it's right at the limit of tolerable.

Putting it on its own with nothing on top helped a lot, I think it is enough. Something easy that might also improve it is replacing the small rubber with with 4 bigger ones raising the P1 one centimeter or so. Extra airflow under the chassis will probably cool it down even more.

Yeah, the weather here is totally randomized. You get 4 seasons in a day and all sorts of weirdness. I gave up trying to understand it.
No airco in this house, I had it before in a different country but here it's usually not necessary, except it seems, this week.

A CPU heatsink would help but it looks pretty bad if installed outside the case. Installing inside won't do much without some venting. They could have kept the case small and compact while still adding a few venting grills.

I tried that and it dissipates better, but was still warming up the rest. I have them side by side now, it helped a lot. If the P1 had a design with a heatsink pattern on the outside and/or venting, it would be quite fresh.

Where do you have your amp then? I find it difficult to rotate the volume if there's a unit on top.

Sounds more like 40 odd degrees celsius. Which is warm to electronics but certainly hot to us but it's fine.

The heatsinks are on the top of the chassis, the chassis helps dissipate the heat as it's aluminium so it's alright for it to get warm.
Putting feets on it won't make much of a difference and venting slots won't really make any difference as the key heat dissipator here and it's pretty cramped as well.
It should have had external fins but again, it would look like ass.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #775 of 1,112

My apologies, I only use the M8 and the P1. I have Gustard H10 amp sitting next to them.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #776 of 1,112

Hi guys
after reading this thread I bought the m8 triple stack. it's going to be for office use.

I bought in my LD MKIII to work and run it on beyerdynamic dt1350 through note 4 with no wolfson dac version and my coworker said " it sounds like any other headphone" so I quickly researched and came up with this m8 dac being best value for money with the high end chip which is also implemented properly.

how does the combination work with vacuum tube amp like the LD MKIII? I will find out soon lol but just wondering anyone has this combination?

will be listening on T1.2, DT1350 and stax 4170.

I had my sonar stx for 4 years now and so far haven't heard any dac that's better. including o2+odac. which sounds similar but to me with a reduced soundstage so end up selling that and kept the stx since.

I normally would read a lot more before buying something but this system sounds like so much tweaking and things to do with it so that will keep me busy for a while. the number of units sold on ebay and aliexpress are quite high for this m8 unit. that helped me make my decision a bit easier.

seller will send me the 110v version. I think back then was only 240v for the P1 power supply. I have no clue why power supply can make dac sounds better I would think it's amp but I took some other engineering instead of electrical which I wanted before lol so I don't know too much about electronics at higher level.

I also read this thing works with note 4 with OTG cable. some say works some say don't and what was like 2015. so I think should be all sorted out by now.

it would be nice that the first page be modified into like a main information page telling you all the tricks and what to watch out for, etc. like the little dot tube rolling guide and some those Korean overclockable 1440p monitors. but 50 something pages only is not too much to go through in a few hours.

hope I made right choice on this one. so far my biggest jump is from onboard to xonar stx. headphones I started full size with AD700, then got the sony ma900, then stax 4170 and now T1. stax 4170 after 2 years holds it's own rank in my audio gear. but i only buy more because i want to see what other stuff sounds like. typical symptoms of us guys buying stuff. lol.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #777 of 1,112

oh also on the xonar stx, while listening to 24 192k files and set the hardware to downsample to 16bit and all other frenquencies i can't hear any difference at all. i don't think my ear is bad. compare the non wolfson note 4 sound vs xonar stx yeah huge difference. like more energy in the sound and everything. details can be heard on both but no fun listening straight through the note 4 at work. put me to sleep. that's why need something better. after all i can listen to music for the whole 7.5 hours while sitting here. lots of things to burn in after lol. my t1.2 is not burnt in yet. i guess i am trying to find something better than the stax 4170 system in the dynamic world. not so easy. at this level there are no good and bad for anything over 1000 bucks or 2000 bucks with amp and dac. that's all i can say. for a different experience get a speaker like audioengine a5+. which i totally regret selling. but renting now so no big speakers for a while : (

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #778 of 1,112
hi guys

one question, does it make a sound difference if I connect to the m8 stack from my note 4 phone headphone port or use OGT from the bottom?

mine is not here yet. but yeah I got it from pericross ebay seller too. easy to work with.

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #779 of 1,112
  hi guys

one question, does it make a sound difference if I connect to the m8 stack from my note 4 phone headphone port or use OGT from the bottom?

mine is not here yet. but yeah I got it from pericross ebay seller too. easy to work with.

It's a DAC ... if you're using it as a DAC (there's only one way really) it's the OTG you're gonna use. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #780 of 1,112
i have an OTG cable from ebay. but was for note 3. also another one for s3. they are in another city right now. so what's the best cable to connect to the m8? cable quality for this OTG matters? i'll get something around 20 bucks if that's what it takes. any recommendations? thank you.

can little dot mk3 connect as preamp to this dac? or do i need to remove the vmv va2 amp? says something about DC amp do not connect, like the stax amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back